Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Should I even bother with this interview?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 11:44 am
I am looking for a job in a high school for next year but haven't gotten any offers, so I expanded my search to include junior high even though I haven't had any experience with that age group since doing 1 semester of field work in college. I answered a job posting looking for a middle school teacher in my subject and got called in for an interview/model lesson. I assumed, based on the posting, that it would be for 7th or 8th grade. Well, they want me to teach a 5th grade class tomorrow. I have ZERO experience with 5th grade. I have never taught a class younger than 7th, and like I said, that was several years ago. I know ZIPPO about 5th grade- I don't know what they're up to developmentally, what they are supposed to be able to do in my subject etc. I don't think I've spoken to a 5th grader since I was a 5th grader! Should I even bother with this? Should I call the school and ask what, exactly, is the position they're looking to fill, and if indeed it's 5th grade, just say sorry, I don't think it's shayach? The thing is, I'm getting quite desperate. If I don't find something soon, I'm going to be out of work for at least a year. And if I couldn't manage to find a job while employed, how the heck am I going to find one with a year gap?

busydev

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 11:51 am
you can do it and it will be fine.

I worked for 2 years as a permanent substitute in a school and would teach 1st graders one day and 7th graders the next. (this was straight out of sem-so no experience at all) I know people that have taught grade x and then been transferred to another grade they never touched and been fine.

what subject do you teach?
Im sure people here- either teachers or parents can tell you what 5th graders would be on in the subject. And if you do end up getting a job to teach 5th graders then you have the whole summer to prepare.

but also my brother had some model lessons in second grade and at least one of the teachers that taught him got a job in 4th grade. so it doesnt mean thats the class they would want you for next year.

hatzlocha!

spinkles

Post Wed, Jun 12 2013, 12:23 pm
Of course you can do it. They just want to see that you're kind, caring, in control of the class, able to explain things clearly...google lesson plans for that age in your subject and I'm sure you'll get some good ideas.

Anyway 5th grade is a fun grade. They don't have crazy hormones yet so they're sweet. They do have lots of energy though, so keep it interactive!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics