Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 4:28 pm
I saw this on a facebook page and thought it was a great question.
I know that if I knew I could not fail, I would have gone into cancer research as my career and would have joined a choir of some sort (as I love to sing, but have stage fright).
What about you? If you knew that there was no failure involved, what would you do or have done that you may not have done because of the fear of failure?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 4:33 pm
Go back to school.

Go on a diet.

Figure out how to fix what is wrong with my life.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 6:28 pm
Start a business. Or go to school.
Something that would involve financial security.

Start a women's kiruv program. Also need money for that...

Tova

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 6:35 pm
Have my husband start a certain type of institution.

Move to Israel.

morah

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 6:39 pm
Become a college professor. Unfortunately, the way academia currently works, it's too much risk for too little reward. I can't risk the time and the money for a ridiculously tight job market that would likely require moving to yehupitzville.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 6:40 pm
My brain sort of short circuits when I truly think about it... how much work is required to ensure the lack of failure? If fulfilling a personal dream meant I never saw my family... ack, can't decide if I'm cowardly or lazy or what.

I don't know if I'd have more kids but I'd stress out less about raising the ones I have. If a time traveler from the future came to tell me I didn't mess my kids up and they're happy and healthy, I wouldn't second guess myself all the time.

I'd start a frum film studio. And a dance studio. And a recording studio.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 6:46 pm
Go to med school and become a surgeon

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 7:09 pm
Get DH to discuss and then go for therapy - and me too, and us, as a couple. A plus would be if this guarantee includes the ability to pay.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 7:19 pm
If there was no chance of failure, I would wish for my husband's mental illness to be cured.
I know that that is not ever possible, so I posted here. It is an impossibility, but if it was possible, without fail, that is what I would do/wish for. Our lives would be so much richer than they are now if my husband would be all better.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 7:48 pm
Hmm. It's not fear of failure that sets me back. It's reluctance to work hard and focus and finish what I've started.

I mean, if I knew I couldn't fail, why not dream big? Why not solve world hunger and world peace and invent a cure for everything?

Because it would be hard work and would take a really really long time and even though I wouldn't fail I would likely miss out on other things in life, like spending time with family. And even the certain knowledge of success in say, 80 years time, is still not enough to make me sludge through all the hard work and setbacks for 30,000 consecutive days.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I believe success is 99% perspiration and 1% aspiration.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 7:52 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
My brain sort of short circuits when I truly think about it... how much work is required to ensure the lack of failure? If fulfilling a personal dream meant I never saw my family... ack, can't decide if I'm cowardly or lazy or what.

Hey, just saw this. We think alike. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 8:20 pm
morah wrote:
Become a college professor. Unfortunately, the way academia currently works, it's too much risk for too little reward. I can't risk the time and the money for a ridiculously tight job market that would likely require moving to yehupitzville.

That was my dream as well. I am content at this point in my life to teach high school college level classes (A.P. and for credits from local colleges).

I would also love to love to eat healthy and exercise.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 8:59 pm
Become an actress!

chatouli

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 9:02 pm
Zumba

esther09

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 9:08 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
bigsis144 wrote:

shabbatiscoming - was this question associated with Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In platform?

If so, I think the whole idea behind it will help to clarify the problem that both posters above mention. I think the question is, What would you do if you didn't have to worry that, if you followed a personal dream, you would "fail" as a mother/wife/family member/friend, etc.? What would you do if you could succeed simultaneously at your personal goals and your familial/communal goals (assuming the 2 don't coincide)?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 9:51 pm
I would fly around the world. (I mean fly like a bird, not on an airplane.)

I would open a fancy hotel across the street from my house. It would have lots of activities and pools and stuff.

acccdac

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 9:57 pm
I would follow my dream of becoming an inspirational speaker to jewish audiences

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 9:59 pm
esther09 wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:
bigsis144 wrote:

shabbatiscoming - was this question associated with Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In platform?

If so, I think the whole idea behind it will help to clarify the problem that both posters above mention. I think the question is, What would you do if you didn't have to worry that, if you followed a personal dream, you would "fail" as a mother/wife/family member/friend, etc.? What would you do if you could succeed simultaneously at your personal goals and your familial/communal goals (assuming the 2 don't coincide)?
I have no idea who or what that is Smile
no, it was a status/quote on something like "thoughts for the day" or something like that.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 10:06 pm
I'd go for being an actress too!
And a professional makeup artist.

Oh, and I'd have 18 kids.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 10:55 pm
I'd cure everything. Very Happy
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics