Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How much money do you spend on shalach manos?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How much money do you spend on shalach manos?
$1-2  
 11%  [ 7 ]
$2-3  
 27%  [ 16 ]
$3-5  
 22%  [ 13 ]
$5-7  
 11%  [ 7 ]
$7-10  
 6%  [ 4 ]
$10+  
 20%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 59

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 12:19 pm
I dont understand what everyone wants from 'teneleven'? If she can afford it, why not? I dont see it any worse than people spending 5-10 thousand dollars going to a hotel for Pesach.

I spend $1 on the container, and about 2-3 dollars on the food.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 12:28 pm
You know, you can make them just as beautiful by yourself & they cost a lot less. I've done it.

timeout

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 4:23 pm
I spent more than I would have liked to but all the money is going to my sons PTA so I'm happy to do so Smile

faigie

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 5:23 pm
do you know what makes me CRAZY????? DELIVERING those packages in traffic, especially on a purim that falls out like this year on a sunday.
one of my friends kids sat in the car for so long in stop and go traffic ,that he actually lost his lunch in the back seat.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 5:25 pm
I think it's gotten way out of hand.

I think I'm going to boycott this year Smile

withhumor

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 5:36 pm
Only1, I’m looking for some amazing excuse for chickening out of the deliveries this year. My kids are too young to deliver themselves, and there’s no way I’m driving around town. Walking to all ends of the town is not an option either, schlepping 20 bags (plus return baskets) with me. It’s insane yet if we don’t do it, w will stand out like a sore thumb. Help. Don’t’ get me wrong, all the mm’s are already done (no big deal, under $100) but still, how can I dress up, stay home, and enjoy the good food and the music and enjoy watching the world go by from the front porch!!!!!!!!

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 5:46 pm
pay some local kids to deliver?

lamplighter

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 5:50 pm
we're just giving 2. 1 to my husbands mashpia/rav and one to mine.

since I am a teacher I need to prepare for my students and that is costing me around 60 dollars, and thats an average.

faigie

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 6:16 pm
im really thinking about just having kids deliver to very local neighbors with a shopping cart, and the rest people have to come to me if they want.
this has GOT to end.
<<looking at huge pile in the cornor of this room of boxes.
going to BP around is a nightmare.

withhumor

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 6:50 pm
Faigie, I’m happy to be a part of this important crusade. I’m just concerned, I don’t’ want my kids to feel like outcast.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 12:13 am
We are dressing the kids as celeries and putting the shalach manos in a brown bag, like a simple grocery bag for vegetables. A few celery stalks sticking out of the bag, a box drink and some cookies on the bottom. Tied with green ribbon and curled (to look like celery tops.)
Bag=$0.02
Celery$0.50
Drink=$0.35
Cookies=$0.35
$1.22 for each Sh.M. I'm making 10, so it's $12.20 for ALL, plus $1 for the ribbon. GRAND TOTAL = $13.20

We are making only for the people we will meet in the neighborhood. No driving. Just walking around, showing off costumes and enjoying others' shtick.
In short, HAVING FUN! I'd NEVER even consider giving someone out of our walking range.

Mishie

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:36 am
Here, it's just as bad (with the traffic and all), you can get stuck on the same block for 45 minutes!!!!!!

That's why we're delivering our MM the night before (on Motza"sh), and will let my kids deliver the ones for my neighbors, in my building, ON Purim morning.
(We'll prob. save 1 or 2 to do the proper way, with a Shaliach, on the day etc...)

LubavitchLeah

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:53 am
We have some laffy taffys, parev wafer choclates, apple juice, chips in each bag for my DD friends? Very simple.

faigie

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:48 am
ok. I sat down to think what withumor said aboUt her kids missing out.
this occured to me.
all the kids really want out of the chag,is to dress up and get some nice nosh. true? true.
and I thought about myself. seems that the fun has gone out of purim for me. now I dont wanna sound selfish, but im GONNA be selfish here!
I wanna have fun too!
so I decided. if far away friends wanna come to get thats fine, but theyll love me even if I dont send them any, IN FACT if we ALL decided to keep to our own small areas of walking, it would alleviate a whole lot of grief for everyone. its a bit late for this year cuz my friends already made for me........... but AH next year im gonna make a bunch of phone calls.
LADIES, IM TAKING BACK PURIM FOR ME!!!
NEXT YEAR, IF I CANT WALK IT, I AINT MAKING. gonna make those calls , and let everyone in driving range know that they ARE OFF THE HOOK.
BTW............if we were ALL walking all over th blocks, wed make more of a "purim parade" kinda thing, and wed get to have more kids with costumes in the street. that would make it even BETTER!!
PPS Purim chagiga for all ladies in orh naava thursday night!! were gonna have DJ and an open mike!!..oh yeah.. and food LOL

amother

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:54 am
Personaly I find it stressful organising MM. I was comfortable with being very basic, candy, chips , a drink in each one and after reading posts on here I'm begining to feel mine are an embarrassement. Others are making beautiful arrangments, fruit, nut platters, salad spreads. Wow!

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
Personaly I find it stressful organising MM. I was comfortable with being very basic, candy, chips , a drink in each one and after reading posts on here I'm begining to feel mine are an embarrassement. Others are making beautiful arrangments, fruit, nut platters, salad spreads. Wow!

I never signed up for the competition, so I'm not embarrassed. Clown

I'm actually feeling a little sick, reading here how much time and money is going into out-doing-the-Cohens.

Amongst the people we know, everyone gives something simple and inexpensive and we all have a wonderful Purim.

To those who don't want to drive around:
If it's to someone more important (rav, Rebbe, teacher, older relative) then you don't have the choice.
But if it's someone like friends who you are on an equal footing with then stay home. If they come to you, then give them. And if not, don't. If they didn't come to you, you have just as much right to be offended or not as they do. Wink

Jo

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 11:36 am
We have made one big one for the Rav of our shul and other smaller, less expensive for our friends (about 20 in total). In total we have spent about £25 (around $50)
We have kept them pretty simple.

Yes, delivering them is a pain!!!
My DH reiterated that you should be spending as much (if not more) on Matanot l'Evyonim!

PURIM SAMEACH EVERYONE :-)

DesignMommy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 12:44 pm
We give to everyone in our Shul through the Sisterhood fundraiser. Then we are making 4 nice ones- for the Rav of our Shul, the Rebbe of the Yeshiva, DDs Morah and my best friend who just had twins!
Then we are making 24 small ones (in cellophane bags with not too junky nosh) for our close friends and DD's friends.
Not too bad! And we also give at least as much for Matanos LeEvyonim.
A Frielechin Purim!

momof5boys

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:26 am
For me, the money goes on Purim Gelt for the children's Rabbe'm. And 3 of them have 2-3 Rebbes each!

I agree that MM gets out of hand. I wish that my neighborhood did a shul list thing or a neighborhood list thing. Also some palces have a lottery and everyone gets ONE and gives ONE to eachother.

As a rule, besdies driving to seuda, no waisting purim stuck in traffic in a car. - people understand and don't expect MM from out of neighborhood.

for all the morahs and Rebbes- send them with the chidlren on Friday!!

momof5boys

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:28 am
I meant Wasting, not waisting.
I guess the Purim forum thoughts went to my waist and skipped over the brain.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics