Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
It's all coming down
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 6:34 pm
so my food stamps were not re-certified this month
been to court regarding a foreclosure on my home
my electricity & gas companies are threatening to turn off the utilities
a storm surge killed my computer hard-drive [sonny boy rigged up something for now]
& lots of other stress factors sit on the very same plate

At wits end Help Banging head Shooting Arrow

how could it all happen in the very same week
it's all coming down

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 7:50 pm
I am so sorry. May Hashem show you ease in life in the coming days/weeks/months/years iyH.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 7:57 pm
Where is the imamother that asked where she can donate?? Maybe u help greenie? ?? We all know her long enough to know she deserves it!! ;-)

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:
Where is the imamother that asked where she can donate?? Maybe u help greenie? ?? We all know her long enough to know she deserves it!! ;-)
Where can we send $$ to? Can it be tax deductible?

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 8:47 pm
The post here is called "Need Ideas of Places To Give Tzedaka"

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....20043

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I'm sure you can pm her and if shes willing, she will give you the details. I dont think she wants it advertised on the site.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

It is not tax deductible if you send it directly to her but you could give it to your shul and ask that a directed donation be sent to her or you could ask her the name of her rov or a neighborhood association who could give it to her.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 10:51 pm
greenfire wrote:
so my food stamps were not re-certified this month

Did you consider appealing the decision? It's work, but everyone I know that appealed won in the end.

greenfire wrote:
been to court regarding a foreclosure on my home

Have you tried the mortgage modification program, HAMP? You may need a professional to help you navigate the system but it is well worth it.

greenfire wrote:
my electricity & gas companies are threatening to turn off the utilities

Call them up (if applicable in your area) and ask them where the dollar every customer donates to the needy is going. I always wondered if anyone in our community was getting any of that.

greenfire wrote:
a storm surge killed my computer hard-drive [sonny boy rigged up something for now]
& lots of other stress factors sit on the very same plate

At wits end Help Banging head Shooting Arrow

how could it all happen in the very same week
it's all coming down

I hope things get better for you.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 11:01 pm
would you like to post your income and expenses, broken down, so we can help you cut back or make more money?

are you working full time? do you have other income besides your work?

can you downsize to an apartment from a house?

as far as the computer goes, most libraries have computers available for public use.

utilities, I think there are programs for lower income folks where you can pay a portion of the amount you owe--- definitely call the companies.

were your foodstamps not renewed because you make too much money? or because you didn't get paperwork in in time?

do you have tomchei shabbos or something that can help with food?

bamamama

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 11:34 pm
Hug Hug Hug I'm sorry you're going through this, Greenfire.

Kfar

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 12:49 am
So sorry GF -- if you share a bit more detail, maybe we can come up with some useful suggestions to help.

boysrus

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 12:54 am
Hug Hug Hug

hang in there.

so you were'nt joking then when you wrote on the 'who should I give my tzedoka money to' thread that you would take it, you dont always know where the next toilet roll will be coming from...
if I remember correctly.
I am so sorry
did you try tomchei shabbos for immediate help, loans etc.?
can u appeal the food stamps?

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 1:09 am
Re the house: Where do you live? Are there any law schools with law clinics in your area (aka free legal advice)? Do you have a lawyer or other knowledgeable person helping you out? I know that banks will forgive some of the debt and come to an agreement with people. I have no idea how it's done. I will try to ask (though it will be from lawyers working for the other side...)

Ed to add: I don't know what to say to be encouraging except for that whole 'hugs' business. But I will (bn and iyh, and any other frummy acronym) daven that everything will work out soon and with minimal stress.

chani8

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 1:32 pm
Sad I dont want to see Pale Hug Help Exclamation

I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe your kids should start paying you rent?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 1:48 pm
I've been holding my breath for a year trying to work every avenue regarding the house ... to no avail

as for the food stamps ... they neglected to call me a month ago for my phone re-certification - I called over & over & over again to no avail ... and now when I finally reached someone it will take a month to process & she said there will probably be a significant decrease changes to an 18 year old dd who works [what 18 year old wants to buy you toilet paper and share in the household expenses - especially when she has her own expenses that I cannot afford]

I'm on the pipp - they cut me off too ... but that was my own neglect to file a form in a timely manner ... but who has time before tisha b'av to run downtown to re-apply when I don't even have a car [did I mention my car had a fire a year and a half ago]

thank you all for your concern - this was meant to be a vent - not a handout [besides where will I hang the roll of toilet paper if I don't have a house][I guess I should have clicked post anonymously ...

as for the kids paying rent - I will tell you I almost got killed at the beginning of 2012 for asking two of them & most recently for asking the oldest yet again ... believe me I offered them a good deal ~ I guess they'd rather be homeless Scratching Head What

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 2:46 pm
In your shoes I'd kick out any kid who doesn't help out. At least if she is over 18.

I had a friend who got kicked out of his house senior year of high school. He did nothing wrong except turn 18, when the dad no longer had to pay child support to the mom. (I hope they changed whatever stupidity allowed that to happen. Surely they should require parents to pay child support until a kid finished high school, even if they turn 18 mid-year!)

Kfar

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 1:19 am
GF -- if your children work and you need help with the household payments, they must help you (even if they get nasty/resentful, as teenagers so easily do -- ignore them and insist that they contribute). Also, foreclosures can take years and years before you can actually be evicted -- I am not a real estate lawyer but believe if you google this may find public interest attorneys who can help you for free. If you are able to work, perhaps post on the site and someone may know of something (or something extra). Very very stressful for you to live under these circumstances but you are an educated, resourceful woman -- don't give up, the Imamothers are here to help you! Smile

amother

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 1:26 am
About utilities: call and ask specifically if they have an arrearage forgiveness program. We have this in our state. When you are behind in payments, you set up a payment plan where they knock off a chunk from your balance with every payment you make. For example: I pay $133 a month and they knock off an additional $200 from what I owe. Meanwhile as long as I pay they won't shut off my service even though the bill shows that it really should be.....

Ask!! This is for electricity & gas, at least in my state.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 1:28 am
same amother as above -

I googled and found this - guess you already have this program?
http://www.duke-energy.com/ohi.....e.asp

Is there any part of this that you have not yet taken advantage of? Or have you done all you can with this PIPP program?

karmielite

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 3:56 am
My mother made me pay rent from when I was 12. It increaser as my income increased and I paid her until I got married and moved out. It was awful at the time because she also made me pay for my own expenses including college and a percentage of my fancy private highschool. I lived. I can tell the tale. I know the value of a dollar, how to get a good deal and how to barter. Best thing ever.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics