Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Scary power point presentation
Previous  1  2

imamiri

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:45 pm
Jewishmofm wrote:
Why can't we develop a federal workfare program? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workfare

Well now that wouldn't work out for many frum families would it?

September June

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:47 pm
imamiri wrote:
Jewishmofm wrote:
Why can't we develop a federal workfare program? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workfare

Why wouldn't it work for them?

imamiri

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:49 pm
September June wrote:
imamiri wrote:
Jewishmofm wrote:

Why wouldn't it work for them?

Families with learners wouldn't be interested in training to work would they?

Quote:

Under workfare, recipients have to meet certain participation requirements to continue to receive their welfare benefits. These requirements are often a combination of activities that are intended to improve the recipient's job prospects (such as training, rehabilitation, and work experience) and those designated as contributing to society (such as unpaid or low-paid work).

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:50 pm
imamiri--- why not? they'd get the work experience necessary to get them into the long term paid positions which would get them off such programs. I see nothing about Saturday work being required.

If my husband or I lost our jobs (my husband is UNDERemployed at the moment, not UNemployed), I'd MUCH prefer being required to do low paid or volunteer work to get something in return.

September June

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:50 pm
And so?

If it's important to them to them to have the dh learn then they can manage without welfare (and I know quite a few families that do).

imamiri

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:52 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
I don't believe you need to be affiliated with a church to take advantage of their free meals and free shelter programming. Do I believe there is enough for everyone serviced under WIC? Nope. But not everyone serviced under WIC needs WIC. I have no idea what percentage of people in the USA don't know where their next meal is coming from but I'd venture to say at least 20% of my local friends are on WIC and most have vacations, cleaning help, and cell phones with internet access. And ALWAYS have enough in their kitchens (of their spacious homes) for at least the next week. If we gave the free food to those truly in need and had those who make a reasonable salary utilize other programs that don't involve the government's funding, there could be small changes. My family doesn't qualify for WIC, and *we* don't take vacations or have cell phones with internet access--- al achas kama v'kama?

small changes lead to bigger changes.

I know nothing about India--- but why is it a bad thing for the poor to rely on donations from religious organizations? Why do we automatically assume in the USA that poor has to equate to government support? Should people help? Of course---- does the GOVERNMENT have to take it as far as it's gone? No.

I just can't get on the "we have to keep WIC---- EVERYONE uses it!" bandwagon. There are plenty of government funded things that could absolutely be abolished entirely or phased out. Maybe Moshiach will come before China decides that since they own us, we may as well speak only Chinese.

Regarding the bold, then they must be gaming the system hard, which wouldn't that violate halachah somehow? Because many of the women I knew in southern California who were on WIC barely were getting by.

imamiri

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:52 pm
September June wrote:
And so?

If it's important to them to them to have the dh learn then they can manage without welfare (and I know quite a few families that do).

I think it should be more important to feed your family than learn. But I don't think that is universally accepted in learning communities.

September June

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:58 pm
imamiri wrote:
September June wrote:
And so?

I think it should be more important to feed your family than learn. But I don't think that is universally accepted in learning communities.

It's universally accepted in learning communities as well.
If a learning family can't afford to feed their family and have the dh learn, then the dh goes to work. I know many families like that. (Do you actually know kollel families first hand? It doesn't sound like it....)

imamiri

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 6:05 pm
September June wrote:
imamiri wrote:
September June wrote:
And so?

It's universally accepted in learning communities as well.
If a learning family can't afford to feed their family and have the dh learn, then the dh goes to work. I know many families like that. (Do you actually know kollel families first hand? It doesn't sound like it....)

Of course I don't. They are all perfect and law abiding and would never go on welfare while the man learns.

But no really, I do. And some will go out to work and others will not. And you know that too. Or maybe you don't know any?

Why does cutting welfare always come down as the one thing that will save the US? Cut spending, but why just in social services? Why not in foreign aid? Why not in defense spending? And yes, taxes need to come up too.

Last edited by imamiri on Wed, Aug 21 2013, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

happy12

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 6:07 pm
An easier way to cut spending is to cut all foreign aid. This will save billions of dollars a years.

On a city level if NYC would cut out all parades they would save a fortune each year.

September June

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 6:09 pm
It is currently legal to go on welfare and have the dh learn. The families that do that are doing nothing wrong as long as they legally qualify for the programs they are on.

If the law changes and in order to qualify for government aid you need to work or go for job training then kollel families will either manage without government aid or have the dh work.

sara53

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 12:47 pm
Are you at all familiar with India? The poor there rely on donations from religious organizations and international NGOs. You want the US to look like that? I really hope you're kidding.

Are you familiar with KJ and New Square...the majority receive food stamps, WIC, HEAP, HUD, etc...
Yet they all have streimlach worths thousands of dollars, top of the line kitchen appliances, and cleaning ladies..

How long is that sustainable. Either our economy will become like Spain and Greece, or the non jews will wake up c"v, and kick us all out...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics