Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Landlord wants to go up $400!!!!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 5:22 pm
My landlord just told us that he wants to higher rent by $400 right after our two year lease is up! It's really not worth that much being that it's not a totally redone apartment just a decent patch up of an old apartment so we don't think he'll get that much anyway...

But where does that leave me?!? Can he force us to pay that much??? We were really good, quiet tenants who always payed on time every month... I'm prepared to say no to that amount and look for something else, but I'm having a baby right before the lease is up and didn't really want the pressure of looking/moving etc.

If you can give me advice, tips, or share your knowledge in this area would be sooo appreciated!!
TIA!

pesek zman

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 5:27 pm
You can absolutely try negotiating. Will he sign you for 2 years? Perhaps try to offer a smaller raise for the promise of staying 2 years??

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:
My landlord just told us that he wants to higher rent by $400 right after our two year lease is up! It's really not worth that much being that it's not a totally redone apartment just a decent patch up of an old apartment so we don't think he'll get that much anyway...

But where does that leave me?!? Can he force us to pay that much??? We were really good, quiet tenants who always payed on time every month... I'm prepared to say no to that amount and look for something else, but I'm having a baby right before the lease is up and didn't really want the pressure of looking/moving etc.

If you can give me advice, tips, or share your knowledge in this area would be sooo appreciated!!
TIA!

what city are you in? are you in a rent stabilized building?

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 5:41 pm
that's a lot of extra monies for a rent hike ... tell landlord you can't afford it ... within reason [try 1/2] maybe they'll work with you - they don't want an empty apartment either

the exception would be if you're using up a lot of water or gas that is not already covered in the original rent

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 7:04 pm
greenfire wrote:
that's a lot of extra monies for a rent hike ... tell landlord you can't afford it ... within reason [try 1/2] maybe they'll work with you - they don't want an empty apartment either

the exception would be if you're using up a lot of water or gas that is not already covered in the original rent

or if she's in an area where apartments are very limited and in high demand.

octopus

Post Sat, Aug 10 2013, 10:16 pm
maybe he is trying to get you out.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 10 2013, 10:55 pm
I totally feel for you- Our landlord in flatbush just raised our rent $300 after 3 1/2 years. We hope to try to negotiate with him a little.

mommydiaries

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 12:26 am
That is a huge increase! How hard is it to find an apartment in your area? And how long do you have until your lease is up?

Ashrei

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 1:00 am
My understanding is that the law in NY is very pro-tenant. It's like, impossible for him to "kick you out," and if he tries to make things difficult, there are many ways you can complain and sort of make things difficult for him right back.

Do you live in a large apt bldg or a 2 family house type of thing? In the former, I've heard of someone who crossed out the increase on the lease, put in an increase they could live with, initialed it, signed the lease, and that was that.

In the latter, maybe try saying, "We can pay $100 increase, which we think is a lot. We're prepared to sign another 2 year lease at that amount." see what happens. If they threaten "eviction," say we can leave when the baby is X months old and we have some more time to look. Meanwhile, without a new lease, you can pay your original amount. If you can get a lawyer's advice, that would be AWESOME. Maybe there's a local real estate lawyer who can write a little letter for a nominal fee...? Be friendly, just professional.

B'sha'ah tovah! and hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics