Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
At my witts end

amother

Post Thu, Sep 26 2013, 9:48 pm
I have a very difficult 6 1/2 year old. He is VERY bright and in second grade. DH is convinced that 90% of his actions are focused on manipulating us. He can be clingy and is quick to anger. He rarely listens and all the regular chinuch methods don't get through to him. When I talk to him about it he just says "it's hard for me to behave". His doctor does not think he has ADHD or any other behavioral disorder. I'm starting a new shiur with Rabbi Brezak in two weeks but until then I'm loosing my mind. What can I do with such a kid?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 26 2013, 9:55 pm
I can only sympathize because that sounds very much like my DS at that age.

Is he better behaved at school or at home? Does he have friends? What do you do when he misbehaves?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 26 2013, 11:03 pm
I don't have any specific answers, but if you have a particularly difficult child a shiur won't usually help. Go and consult with a chinuch expert on an individual basis. I don't know who this rav is, but if he's a chinuch expert you admire, ask him for a private consultation.

Wishing you lots of nachas.

chayamiriam

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 4:37 pm
How about this just hug him and love him for what he is now soon enough you will miss that boy who didn't behave when he was 6!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 5:54 pm
You are describing my DS (age 8).

He is well behaved in school, but at home he has a difficult time controlling himself. When I ask DS to do anything he can explode and runs outside screaming "you cant catch me" or "crazy mother".

My DH realized it is part excess negative energy. DS joined sports groups and has a mandatory 30 minutes of biking or treadmill daily. After his 30 minutes are up you can see the transformation. DS has patience and tolerance. He can do homework and help out.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 6:00 pm
I just finished reading all of "The Nurtured Heart" series of books by Howard Glasser.

Oh. My. Gosh. I AM BLOWN AWAY! I am so impressed by his approach to parenting and teaching "intense" children that I'm actually planning on making a presentation to my local school board.

I started using it at home last week, and I've already seen a huge difference in DD's behavior and attitude (she's 10, and has some really tough behavior issues.)

Please, if you read any parenting books at all, read these ones - and throw the rest away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children