Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Kochav hashachar, bet meir, other suggestions!

shmuf

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 2:56 am
we're thinking of moving from inside to jerusalem proper to a nearby yishuv/moshav. can anyone offer any info on these places, or suggest other places to check out nearby? we're looking for a mixed or religious place (but not somewhere like in the gush where its all 'bnei akiva' style..), not too small, pref with a small but present english speaking community, and pref on the kvish echad side of jeru. im looking for info such as community, kupot cholim, education, house prices.
tia!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 3:25 am
shmuf wrote:
we're thinking of moving from inside to jerusalem proper to a nearby yishuv/moshav. can anyone offer any info on these places, or suggest other places to check out nearby? we're looking for a mixed or religious place (but not somewhere like in the gush where its all 'bnei akiva' style..), not too small, pref with a small but present english speaking community, and pref on the kvish echad side of jeru. im looking for info such as community, kupot cholim, education, house prices.
tia!
you say you want someplace on the kivas he had side of Jerusalem. Kochav hashachar is not on that side. Also what do you mean by bnei Akiva style? I live in the gush and not all of the yishuvim are bnei Akiva style. Wha do you mean by that?

kakky

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 4:20 am
you can call Amana and get a list of yeshuvim. Dolev and Talmon are closer to Modiin than Kochav Hashachar.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 4:35 am
as someone who's mom and siblings live in kochav hashachar... unless you have a car, its really really hard to live there. there are very few buses- they're few and far between. Getting tremps there is also hard. And even if you have a car, its a long ride to jerusalem and it eats up a TON of gas. And there have been shootings and stone throwings on that road at night- its a windy, abandoned, desolate stretch of road. My step father doesnt like my mother driving alone there at night...

shmuf

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 5:35 am
Thanks for replies!I didn't word myself properly - I mean we're looking for upwards of jeru (dh works in rosh haayin) rather than further south such as mitzpe yericho etc. Good to know about the gas guzzling journey-that pretty much wipes it off the list I think. Shabbatiscoming, by bnei akiva style I mean very homogenous,kipa sruga,long flowy skirts,etc (I know I'm grossly stereotyping here, but can't think of a great way to describe what I mean). Can u tell me about other places that aren't the 'great 4' (efrat,alon shvut,elazar,neve daniel)?or do u have anything on these places that could appeal to me?

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 5:51 am
kochav hashachar is a 45 min drive from jerusalem, so pretty gas guzzling. My mother just switched to a hybrid car- despite paying more for the car, because it saves so much gas it was worth it to buy a new car just for that.

Kochav yaakov might be an option for you- though its not entirely homogenous religiously- there's "bnei akiva style" and then theres more modern chareidi also, though the yishuv itself is officially a dati leumi place, with dati leumi rabbanim and schools.

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 5:58 am
Chashmonaim?
Mevo Modi'im?
Hemed?
Mazkeret Batya?
Ariel?

kakky

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 6:45 am
Kochav Hashachar is a wonderful place, so filled with love and support. If your DH has a company car so gas might not be such an issue. If not it is part of the price for the quality of life. It is definitely work looking into.

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 7:31 am
My sister lives at kochav hashachar and loves it. She tremps to and from work but they also have a car. She does say its very charedi while she is also charedi she thinks the majority is " more ".

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 7:33 am
kakky wrote:
Kochav Hashachar is a wonderful place, so filled with love and support. If your DH has a company car so gas might not be such an issue. If not it is part of the price for the quality of life. It is definitely work looking into.
I depends who you are. I know people who live in kochav hashachar that are really not happy there and are desperate to move. What do you mean by quality of life, and why do you think kochav hashachar has it but closer places do not?
Its a small yishuv, and as with most small places, there are lots of small town politics.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 7:34 am
watergirl wrote:
My sister lives at kochav hashachar and loves it. She tremps to and from work but they also have a car. She does say its very charedi while she is also charedi she thinks the majority is " more ".
Really? That's really not my experience. The schools there don't seem so religious. In comparison to bet el, it seems much less religious. I see things there that I don't see in other, more strict, dati leumi yishuvim.

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 7:38 am
Just saying what my sister said. Ive never been there.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 7:50 am
watergirl wrote:
Curious who your sister is. Are her initials RN?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 8:07 am
shmuf wrote:
Thanks for replies!I didn't word myself properly - I mean we're looking for upwards of jeru (dh works in rosh haayin) rather than further south such as mitzpe yericho etc. Good to know about the gas guzzling journey-that pretty much wipes it off the list I think. Shabbatiscoming, by bnei akiva style I mean very homogenous,kipa sruga,long flowy skirts,etc (I know I'm grossly stereotyping here, but can't think of a great way to describe what I mean). Can u tell me about other places that aren't the 'great 4' (efrat,alon shvut,elazar,neve daniel)?or do u have anything on these places that could appeal to me?
You are grossly stereotyping. I can tell you that I know people in each of the yishuvim that you mentioned that do not in any way fit in to that flowy dressed bnei akiva idea that you have. What exactly are you looking for in a yishuv?
(I live in one of those yishuvim Wink )

Sanguine

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:41 am
shmuf wrote:
(dh works in rosh haayin)

Ginot Shomron is 20 minutes north of Rosh HaAyin - DH can tremp to work and leave you the car - 1 hour from Yerushalayim on kvish sheish

But past location I have no idea what type of community you want. Torani? Age of your kids? (no flowing skirts Smile)

Doesn't matter if you're only interested in a Yerushalayim suburb

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:44 am
Seraph wrote:
watergirl wrote:
Curious who your sister is. Are her initials RN?

nope

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:16 am
If your husband works in Rosh HaAyin, why are you intent on staying in the Jlm area? There are plenty of places closer to Rosh HaAyin, which may fit the bill: after Modiin on 443 is Moshav Gimzu. Towards Rosh HaAyin on 444 there is Shoham. A bit further north and West you have some Moshavim such as Bareket, Tirat Yehuda and maybe another one I'm not remembering. Not far, on 40 south of Petach Tikva, is Nechalim. Off Kvish 5, after Rosh HaAyin you have lovely Yishuvim: Oranit, Shaarei Tikva, Elkana. And, as mentioned, bit farthur north from Rosh HaAyin, you have Ginot Shomron. West of Ginot, still within the green line is Kochav Yair and Tzur Yigal. I imagine they are a 12 minute drive to Rosh HaAyin, depending on traffic.
Prices? What are you looking for? I don't think you can get a private house in any of these places for much less than 2 million shekels.
So, if you don't NEED to stay in the greater Jlm area, you may want to come out this way and check things out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions