Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Possibly broken? no swelling/bruising

NYmommy

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 9:54 pm
DD 9 years old fell last night and hurt her wrist area. She was in real bad pain for first few hours but woke up today w no pain no swelling or bruising. Just hurts when she puts weight on that arm, like when pushing herself up from lying down to sit up. Also when she tries to pick up anything even lightweight like a book. DH called a hatzula member but he said if no swelling it's probably just a bad bruise. Is it possible just a bruise would hurt more than 24 hours?

amother

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 9:56 pm
Of course a bruise can hurt more than 24 hours. Take her to the Dr of you are worried or at least call him.

imokay

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 9:58 pm
one can have a fracture or broken bone with no visible swelling (speaking from experience)- it sounds like you should def have it checked it out.... if it is indeed fractured/broken, u don't want it to set incorrectly....

bubbebia

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 10:04 pm
It's possible it's nothing more than a bad bone bruise which can hurt like heck for days. But it's well worth taking her in to have it checked out. That way you will know one way or the other and appropriate splinting measures can be taken. Good luck. Hope she's feeling better.

Vegieburger

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 10:20 pm
My son fractured both bones in his wrist and had no swelling and could move it.

momi

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 10:55 pm
Vegieburger wrote:
My son fractured both bones in his wrist and had no swelling and could move it.

same here. DD fractured her wrist. No swelling and was able to move it. I'm so glad I went to check it out "just in case!"
I want to add that the paramedic also told us that we need not worry if there's no swelling. I guess he was wrong😒

amother

Post Sat, Oct 19 2013, 11:11 pm
I'm a school nurse and we had a case just last week where a student fell and landed on his wrist. No swelling or bruising and full range of motion. He is in Kindergarten and was crying but not screaming or sobbing from the pain. His mom and I both agreed it should get checked out further anyway.

2 buckle fractures and a case up to almost his shoulder!!! Get it checked out, please.

Rodent

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 12:53 am
When our eldest broke his leg there was no swelling or bruising but he could put no weight on the leg at all. He was aas thigh high cast for 7 weeks. It doesn't hurt to get it checked.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 12:57 am
Several years ago I broke my big toe, and there was no swelling, and only a tiny bit of bruising. I couldn't figure out why it hurt so much to walk on, when it looked fine.

Turned out to be a nasty fracture. Sad It still gives me stabbing pains every time the weather changes.

grace413

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 6:42 am
I've just returned from the emergency room with 17 old DD. She was kicked by a horse last Monday and we took her to Terem (local urgent care). They x-rayed her arm and wrist and said nothing was broken. She was still complaining of serious pain a few days later so I made her an appointment for the regular doctor for this morning. He said that there are fractures that X-rays don't always detect and that she should not be in so much pain 6 days later if it's not broken.

He sent us to the hospital emergency where an orthopedist checked, re-xrayed and said there is a small hard to see break. They casted her and told me to make an appointment with a hand surgeon.

The moral of the story: Go to the doctor.

Jughead

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 1:36 pm
grace413 wrote:
I've just returned from the emergency room with 17 old DD. She was kicked by a horse last Monday and we took her to Terem (local urgent care). They x-rayed her arm and wrist and said nothing was broken. She was still complaining of serious pain a few days later so I made her an appointment for the regular doctor for this morning. He said that there are fractures that X-rays don't always detect and that she should not be in so much pain 6 days later if it's not broken.

He sent us to the hospital emergency where an orthopedist checked, re-xrayed and said there is a small hard to see break. They casted her and told me to make an appointment with a hand surgeon.

The moral of the story: Go to the doctor.

I'll second that and raise you one: make it a GOOD doctor.
my 3 yo fell and broke her arm. Doc in the ER said "don't worry - doesn't need surgery"
followed up with a pediatric orthopedist who specializes in arms, who said x-ray won't show a clear-enough picture to determine whether or not the bone was displaced, and ordered an MRI. sure enough - the bone was displaced and she needed surgery.
btw - after the initial swelling and pain, the area was barely swollen and she was not in pain at all. was (trying) to use the arm normally (it was only splinted before the surgery...)
DEFINITELY get it checked out

NYmommy

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 1:47 pm
Thank you all for your replies, Dr said its possibly broken & sent me for xrays. Waiting for dr to call me back with results now.

4Sisters

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 6:09 am
Refuah shleima. What happened in the end? Hope she feels better soon.

NYmommy

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 8:52 am
Xray show no break B'H but she's still has a little pain. It's getting better every day.

littleprincess

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 10:15 am
Had the same with DS a few years ago. He fell on his wrist in park and didn't complain much at the time it happened. The same evening he complained of same pain but there was no bruising or swelling. The next night he couldn't fall asleep, had a lot of pain but still no swelling. I decided to better be safe than sorry and took him in for x-rays. He had a fracture and was in a cast for 6 weeks

Good luck to u OP, hope the pain goes away very fast
Mothers can't see their kids in pain

4Sisters

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 7:43 pm
So glad to hear the good news!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics