Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Selling chometz such as pasta and flour?
1  2  3  Next

youngmommy

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 1:42 pm
My husband's family has the minhag to sell actual chometz (such as pasta, flour...) as opposed to getting rid of it - I am very uncomfortable with this but he says throwing it out would be baal tashchis since he has no problem selling it. Anyone else have the minhag to sell these things.

tweety99

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 1:49 pm
yeh my parents have that minhag but my husband doesnt. although he wont make me throw out a whole new packet of something as its called a loss. but he generally likes me to finish everything before pesach if poss.

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 1:55 pm
Edited for clarity! : Lubavitch does that. B"H! One less thing to worry about.

Last edited by bashinda on Thu, Mar 22 2007, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 1:57 pm
The lubavitch minhag is to sell it. (Imagine in the days when flour came in big sacks...must have been tough.)

Just as well - I live out of town, so I have large stocks of food. I don't have the luxery of just buying food when I need it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 2:03 pm
If you sell, you have to sell actual chometz; not just if your lipstick may have come into contact with something in your handbag, etc.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 2:25 pm
If flour is unwashed during production (depends on which country) it is not chometz.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 2:34 pm
Oatmeal and barley either, but in the U.S. I'm told it's all processed.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 3:45 pm
It's not just Lubavitch that sells, everyone that I know sells their chometz, including food.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 3:56 pm
our rov said you need to sell flour (meaning, it's considered chometz).
we sell real chometz if we have enough that it's a loss.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 4:27 pm
It all depends on the format of your sale document. The Lubavitch minhag is to use an Oreiv Kablon (guarantor) which makes the whole sale process more stringent and legally binding.

This is why Lubavitchers can sell actual Chometz

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 10:01 pm
According to my FIL,Selling real chometz is part of the mitzvah of peasach. It is not a lubavich thing (although lubavichers may do it also.)

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 10:04 pm
nevermind!

Last edited by bashinda on Thu, Mar 22 2007, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 3:03 am
We have compromised on this every year since we were married. Anything that's sealed that can be given away to non-Jews, we give away. Anything that's already open and sitting in the cupboard, I consider it bal tashchit to throw away, so we sell that.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 9:49 am
Some people have the minhag not to sell chometz gamur, others don't. But flour is NOT chometz gamur!! Those who don't sell CG still sell that. Processed foods like bread and cakes and cookies and cereal -- that's chometz gamur, but flour and barley is not.

cheerios

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 10:09 am
btw, just b/c some Lubavitchers do it does not make it a Lubavitch minhag. There are some Lubavitchers who do not sell ANY chometz.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 4:05 pm
Don't forget to sell your avatar.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 4:19 pm
When I was little I thought you had to get rid of e/t also ... until I saw other people sell even cereal ... thought it was like a real aveira but ... now I mostly try to get rid of e/t by using it up and not to buy stuff but finish stuff ... anyway now I do sell it ... I've seen all dif people do both ...

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 5:07 pm
Marion wrote:
Anything that's sealed that can be given away to non-Jews, we give away.

There is a halachic problem of לא תחוננם
unless you will get benefit out of giving it to a non-Jew (eg someone who works for you and then might work better).

In EY there are tzedaka organizations which collect chometz just before Pesach. There is no problem, even according to the machmir view of selling the enormous quantities they have because it is considered a hefsed merube (great loss). They sell it and after Pesach distribute it to needy families.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Mar 20 2007, 9:26 pm
as a side note, every grocery store sells its chometz, after peasach you will be buying the chometz that they sold and then bought back, thereby you will now be owning chametz that at was sold. So what is the difference between selling your own chametz, and using that after peasach, or getting rid of your chometz, only to buy chometz that was sold over peasach anyway?? Confused

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 3:31 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
as a side note, every grocery store sells its chometz, after peasach you will be buying the chometz that they sold and then bought back, thereby you will now be owning chametz that at was sold. So what is the difference between selling your own chametz, and using that after peasach, or getting rid of your chometz, only to buy chometz that was sold over peasach anyway?? Confused

It is not the same thing at all.

Owning chometz on Pesach is a Torah prohibition. People who are machmir not to sell 'real' chometz are choshesh (careful) to the very slight possibility that there is a problem with the sale. If there would be such a problem they would have chometz in their possession on Pesach.

Using chometz she'avar alav ha'Pesach (chometz which was in a Jew's possession during Pesach) is a gezeira (decree) made as a fine to 'punish' those who hadn't sold their chometz, that they would never be able to use it. If the store sells its chometz that has nothing to do with me - it's the owner's decision. If ch"v for some reason the sale would be invalid and I ate that chometz after Pesach I would be using chometz she'avar alav ha'Pesach, which is a gezeira and not an issur mi'dOraiysa (Torah prohibition).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics