Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Intuitive eating
  1  2  3  17  18  19  Next

zissy2004

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:52 am
Since I can't explain it as well as the book can, I'm posting here a link to a book that will change your life.
Don't take my word for it, start with reading all the reviews, then buy the book, read it and come back here to discuss it.

I would love to talk to people who want to try to do it this way.

http://www.amazon.com/Have-You.....nding

Don't get put off by the title. I will probably be the last book you'll ever read on weight loss. I already threw away all my books, apps and other diet stuff.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 7:28 am
That sure is a lot of rave reviews!

OK, I'll find it and read it and then post. Off to check my library online....

zissy2004

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 7:40 am
I don't think I have yet seen a book with over a 100 5-star reviews.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 8:33 am
I am reading it and enjoying it very much.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 8:44 am
OK, I just downloaded it, and will hopefully read it tonight.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 12:53 pm
Is this book in print at all or just a kindle book?

SS6099

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
Is this book in print at all or just a kindle book?

I saw a kindle option.
How does this book differ from Geneen Roth's approach?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 1:11 pm
I got mine from the library.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 1:22 pm
Or to "The 7 Secrets of Slim People"
I imagine similar just maybe more descriptive.
7 secrets teaches you how to eat whatever you want from hunger to satisfaction and explains what hunger and satisfaction are.
Would love to know if you can order this book on paper rather than kindle only.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 1:24 pm
My library didn't have it.

My favorite parts so far:

What other billion dollar industry has a 99% failure rate, and still keeps going?

And the study about dieters and non dieters eating ice cream.

I wish the prevailing philosophy in my childhood hadn't been to put pubescent girls on strict diets! I looked pretty normal as a kid.

zissy2004

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 3:57 pm
C.M., did you find at the library in paperback? That would be very weird as far as I know it's only available on Kindle. It's very frustrating because I want to share it with some ppl but they have no computer or handheld. It's very similar to geneen Roth and the other book but its much more comprehensive and you come away with clear guidelines. It's all the same philosophy but ppl are saying that they loved geneens book but didn't come away with concrete knowing how and what to do.
They say this book is the best on this subject. I also read the overfed head by rob Stevens and I found that very well explained too. That book is free if you google the overfed head PDF.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:15 pm
I am going to stop reading long enough to write down and memorize the 7 techniques to end any meal with ease. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Why didn't I ever think of these??

amother

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 7:26 pm
It is a great book and I've read literally hundreds of books on the subject.....

The ovefed head(it's free online) is also very good!

Here is a link to the author's youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel.....pS_Lw

I've been following this intuitive eating thread on another forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/foru......html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/foru......html

It took me days to read but I learned so much about IE and I'm B"H finally doing it right most of the time instead of my pattern of extreme restriction for and then binging.... Crying

Hatzlacha everyone

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 3:53 am
It's a short book; I finished it pretty quickly. (DH was having a field day about that -- "What, you finished it already? Did you devour it too quickly? Do you feel full yet?" Etc.)

There is so much in here that makes sense to me. Some of the ideas, I will put into practice right away. Others, I may do later, or may have already done. I'll comment again after a few days of application.

CM, amother, and zissy, are you willing to share your experiences with the ideas here? Have you lost weight? Do you approach food differently? Are there situations the book doesn't cover?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:11 am
After watching my mom torture herself with diet after diet, I made intuitive eating a personal policy of mine. Of course, I didn't know it at the time, it was just something that felt natural to me.

I only eat until I'm not feeling hungry, and then I wait a half an hour. If I feel hungry again, I'll have more. 90% of the time, that half hour is enough to let my brain figure out that I've gotten enough food, and I'm done.

I do not plan meals for the week, and we do not have set meal times. I keep a wide variety of healthy ingredients in the house, and in the big freezer in the garage. Whatever anyone is in the mood for at that moment, is what gets cooked.

We eat when we're hungry, and if that means waffles or cereal at 10pm, that's totally OK. This morning, I had two bowls of home made chicken noodle soup for breakfast. Tonight, my intuition told me I needed to eat three brownies. Wink I think the last time I had brownies was at least a year ago, so I figure it all evens out eventually.

Once you learn how to trust your body, and learn to listen to the messages it's sending you, you'll have a much better relationship with yourself - and food will no longer be in control.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:13 am
FF, did you read the book?

smss

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:15 am
I read the 7 secrets of slim people MANY times, I totally agree with the theory. I did find that it was much easier to eat for hunger only when I stayed off white flour & white sugar. I find that those kind of simple carbs create very very strong cravings for more that are hard to ignore. it's nice to say "you can eat anything" but I think each person also has to find their triggers to not make it harder for themselves than it already is....

ETA: want to know something interesting? I thought I'd totally fell off the wagon with the whole approach, I wasn't paying attention to hunger signals as much as I would like to and was definitely overeating. I haven't weighed myself for the last 5 months b/c I didn't want to know, I assumed I gained. well, I just weighed myself last week and I LOST 10 pounds in the past 5 months. so I guess even without doing it perfectly, it was still helping... I've also been pretty good about the no white flour/white sugar- though I was definitely 'cheating' sometimes- and I think that made a difference too. it takes longer to see results than a typical diet, but I believe they last much longer than the results of a typical diet, too.

Last edited by smss on Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:40 am
imasinger wrote:
FF, did you read the book?

Nope, but I put it on my wish list. I'm curious to see how it compares to my own intuition. It sounds like good common sense to me.

zissy2004

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 5:09 am
SMS, that could be but then you have to be careful not to crave these foods even more because you're not allowed to have them, do you know what I mean?

Well, ima singer, I started on Thursday and I am just so excited about this book that I want to share it with the world. Look only in this forum, I started quite a few threads with different diets lol, You cannot even imagine how freeing it is to just eat whatever I want without thinking should I or is it the time now or so on.
For the first time in 20 years I have not finished my plate on Shabbos and by a bar mitzvah last night.
I have full of nosh in my cupboard and for the first time also in many yrs I do not have the urge to open it all the time and eat.
For me this is major, I used to eat all day long and I had no interest in eating vegetables or fruits. And yesterday I suddenly wanted to eat some raw vegetables so I guess if you don't have this feeling of I " have to" then you will start to want to.

Sorry for this long ramble but for me this is like a miracle, I have done everything including OA and after oa failed as well I felt like a totally lost case and I was ready to go and have the operation.
Hashem steered me to this book and I hope I have found the answer.

I read the overfed head first and am in middle of this one now.
Thanks for the links amother and btw I'm on 3 fat chicks too, I'm Helen22 on there.
I read all the threads and learned tons from there.
I wish we could start a revolution in the Jewish world Smile

Since weight loss is not guaranteed to be quick, I give myself 2 and a half years until the bar mitzvah of my son to get to a healthy weight.

smss

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 5:30 am
zissy2004 wrote:
SMS, that could be but then you have to be careful not to crave these foods even more because you're not allowed to have them, do you know what I mean?

well, I actually don't crave them too often, that's the truth. I'm happy to eat ww challah, fruit for dessert etc and if they're not in the house I don't crave them all that much. (that's another thing I disagree with- having the food in the house, even bags and bags of it, just makes me crave it MORE not LESS!)

the main thing I crave is bakery pastries when I'm walking past the bakery and the smells come wafting out...I do have those sometimes. but I always find I feel gross after eating them.
Page 1 of 19   1  2  3  17  18  19  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise