Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Interesting:I-pod is assur!
1  2  3  Next

lotte

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:04 am
Rabbi Lefkowitz from Bney Braq came out with a new psak this week that I-pod is ASSUR!Even if you want to use it for Divrey Torah it is still a no no!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:32 am
so is internet....right??

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:32 am
EXCUSE ME!??!

I am sorry, this sounds NUTZ!

So let's just ban tape recorders and CD players too!

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:40 am
But, this psak comes for a reason, what's the backing for this?

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:46 am
Look, in Bnei Brak sweatshirts with hoods, backpacks, silver jewelry (as opposed to gold), socks that don't go 10 cms above your knee - I could keep going here - are "assur" according to the psak of someone. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 10:12 am
chavamom wrote:
Look, in Bnei Brak sweatshirts with hoods, backpacks, silver jewelry (as opposed to gold), socks that don't go 10 cms above your knee - I could keep going here - are "assur" according to the psak of someone. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I agree.

Boys"R"Us

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 10:46 am
What's wrong with silver?

I can't really afford gold, so I wear silver... I don't get it!?

avigayil

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:19 am
How can they tell the difference between white gold and silver?
What if you are allergic to yellow gold?

lotte

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 12:03 pm
chavamom wrote:

Wow wo wow chavamom-relax.
# 1 I disagree on many facts you posted here.
I visit Bney braq very often & have lots of family and friends there .we all wear silver jewelry & I dont know where you come up with those ides.
It is true that Bney Braq is :"Ir shel Torah" & most people there dress & talk nice according to torah & halacha.If one of the biggest tzadikim of this generation comes up with a psak like this one-TRUST HIM that he knows what he is saying.

lotte

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 12:05 pm
5boysMom wrote:

There is nothing wrong with Silver and no one says you are not allowed to wear Silver.
Cavamom has just made it up.
Rabbi Akiva st is loaded with Jewelry stores for silver only and all teachers in Bais yaakov do wear them!

shoy18

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 12:08 pm
teneleven wrote:
chavamom wrote:

Wow wo wow chavamom-relax.
# 1 I disagree on many facts you posted here.
I visit Bney braq very often & have lots of family and friends there .we all wear silver jewelry & I dont know where you come up with those ides.
It is true that Bney Braq is :"Ir shel Torah" & most people there dress & talk nice according to torah & halacha.If one of the biggest tzadikim of this generation comes up with a psak like this one-TRUST HIM that he knows what he is saying.

Why is it assur? Is it assur because he holds that we don't listen to music in Golus period because then all music and music players are assur, and it doesnt really apply to many people. My uncle in Israel doesnt listen to music PERIOD. (music meaning with instruments)

Motek

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 1:59 pm
teneleven wrote:
If one of the biggest tzadikim of this generation comes up with a psak like this one-TRUST HIM that he knows what he is saying.

Sorry, I never heard of him. Please tell us about him. Is he a rosh yeshiva? a rav of a community? about how old?

Motek

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 2:02 pm
First name Michel? Oh. Someone just told me he's well-known. Wonder why I haven't heard of him.

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 2:06 pm
Chavamom means to describe the hippie mode of dressing which I unbecoming for a Yiddish tochter, even though it is not against halacha or scraping by the guidelines of tznius.

lotte

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 2:10 pm
Motek wrote:
First name Michel? Oh. Someone just told me he's well-known. Wonder why I haven't heard of him.

Well known?
peple line up by him to get a bracha .
all litvish israelis know him.ask someone you know in israel.
Rav Kanievski,Rav Elyashiv,Rav lefkowits...and there are some more that I forgot at the moment.

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 2:17 pm
teneleven wrote:

Uh, I used to live there and I didn't make that stuff up. Ask around, esp. with the Bais Ya'akov girls. The things I mentioned are prohibited in B'Y b/c they are considered "rechovi" (from the street) and there is a much longer list of things I didn't mention, all of which are considered 'assur' and can get you kicked out of school.

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 2:21 pm
teneleven wrote:
5boysMom wrote:

There is nothing wrong with Silver and no one says you are not allowed to wear Silver.
Cavamom has just made it up.
Rabbi Akiva st is loaded with Jewelry stores for silver only and all teachers in Bais yaakov do wear them!

No, I didn't make that up. I can keep going to. "all the b'y teachers" wear them? Really? Look more closely b/c I think not. Even the B'Y in Netivot (considered "more modern") didn't allow it. I guess it just proves my point that not everyone holds by everything that others say is "assur".

Motek

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 3:08 pm
teneleven wrote:
Rav Kanievski,Rav Elyashiv,Rav lefkowits...and there are some more that I forgot at the moment.

Certainly heard of the first two, and Rav Shteinman as well.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 3:27 pm
some ppl like to say everything is assuer and its just makes people rebel more.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 4:30 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
EXCUSE ME!??!

I am sorry, this sounds NUTZ!

So let's just ban tape recorders and CD players too!

lol LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics