Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Interesting:I-pod is assur!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 4:57 pm
bored?he learns 24/7!
You are bored and YOU belong in night clubs with ur ipod.
edited to make sense of a now deleted post above you, pm mod2.

lotte

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 4:59 pm
sorry it was posted as OP above - it is me!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 5:10 pm
Silver is common and I"ve been told that it's not "fine" enough for a BAs YIsroel.

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 5:47 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Silver is common and I"ve been told that it's not "fine" enough for a BAs YIsroel.

Basically the English translation of silver is "rechovi".

gryp

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 6:35 pm
what's the connection between ipods and nightclubs?

su7kids

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 6:41 pm
thats sad, because silver or white gold is my color of preference. Too bad, I can't stand yellow gold.

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 6:54 pm
For all those who feel they should follow this psak kol hakovod! Who are we to ridicule anyone for wanting to grow spiritually.
Is it possible that other things were not made assur b/c people need them .............whereas who uses an ipod for business Confused

Piper

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 7:06 pm
As for silver, I can't wear it- I'm allergic. Now I can't wear gold earrings Crying . So, all my earrings are now implant grade steel. I wonder what the Rav's would say about that.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 3:32 pm
okay............
did this Rav give any sort of reason for the banning of IPODs?

shalhevet

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 4:49 pm
Rav Lefkovitz is a great tzaddik, talmid chochom and Rosh Yeshiva and doesn't have to answer to any of us about what he says.

I think one of the problems of the computer/ media age is that regarding halacha people see/ hear/ read things which weren't meant for them. Rav Lefkovitz was no doubt talking to the yeshivish community in EY and not to people in America. There are plenty of things paskened there which we keep which may sound weird to some of you. Like sheitel length, not having a computer (not to mention Internet) except if needed for work and then not letting children have any access to it, only eating certain hechsherim etc etc.

I'm sure there are people on here who would have very good reason not to take everything on that Rav Lefkovitz paskens without asking their rav - for example BTs who are still taking things on slowly. And others who are not interested in listening to him anyway, so they think leizanus is the answer. Obviously everyone needs to ask their own rav, who knows them, from their own community.

If last Sukkos I had to argue on a thread that people shouldn't be doing laundry on Chol Hamoed, a halacha accepted by everyone and paskened in the SA (with certain exceptions which you can check with a rav) then clearly there are some people here who are not willing to listen to halacha anyway when it is inconvenient. How much more so when it is something paskened in a different community.

. If you don't understand something then you can ask respectfully, and for actual halacha you can ask your own rav.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 5:59 pm
I have no ipod anyway, but I have to say I dont understand at all...

amother

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 8:09 pm
What happened to incorporating technology into our avodas Hashem. Aren't we supposed to take what is available in the world and use it for kedusha. What is up with EVERYTHING being assur. My husband actually listens to ma'amarim on the subway on his way to and from work on his IPod. I don't get the whole negative frame of mind where everything is bad and has to be avoided. Everything has a use in kedusha and by using it as such we are elevating it and ourselves and making this world a place in which Hashem is proud to rest his shechina.

newmom

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 9:50 pm
My husband also only uses his I-pod to listen to shiurim to and from work. He doesn't use it for music or anything else. It gives him about 2 extra hours of learning a day.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 10:24 pm
Perhaps one reason for banning iPods instead of radios/CD players, etc... is because the [b]only [/b]way to get music onto the iPod is through computer download (either from the Internet or from a CD loaded onto the computer memory and then transferred to the iPod).

A person with an iPod and a yetzer hara for the bad stuff on the Internet could be lead to viewing (video iPod) and loading on content he (or she) really shouldn't see or hear.

Maybe its safer to stay away from this type of player for people with a weakness for improper Internet usage.

Just a thought...

Music

Mod2

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:13 pm
Ok that amothers comment that called a Rabbi something I will not repeat shock has been deleted and referances to that post removed! Pm me if you still have questions, Thanks ladies Wink

lotte

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:16 pm
Mod2 wrote:
Ok that amothers comment that called a Rabbi something I will not repeat shock has been deleted and referances to that post removed! Pm me if you still have questions, Thanks ladies Wink

[size=24]YISHAR KOYACH![/size]

shoy18

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:16 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
Perhaps one reason for banning iPods instead of radios/CD players, etc... is because the only way to get music onto the iPod is through computer download (either from the Internet or from a CD loaded onto the computer memory and then transferred to the iPod).

A person with an iPod and a yetzer hara for the bad stuff on the Internet could be lead to viewing (video iPod) and loading on content he (or she) really shouldn't see or hear.

Maybe its safer to stay away from this type of player for people with a weakness for improper Internet usage.

Just a thought...

Music

Thats not true you can download CD's on to your computer and then upload them on the Ipod.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:26 pm
That doesn't take away from the opinion that they should be banned. That opinion should be respected. Shalhevet is right.

sarahd

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 6:14 am
I think Shalhevet summed up the situation very well. Before everyone leaps to defend their IPod, they should read her post and realize - maybe R' Lefkovitz is not speaking to you, so there's no need to get all defensive. Especially if it's going to lead you to speak with chutzpah about a gadol baTorah.

gryp

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 7:32 am
They obviously don't need ipods for learning when they're all sitting in a Beis Midrash. I don't get the big deal about the psak. They most probably don't have computers or internet anyway, why would they need an ipod?

Though I'm still wondering about your comment that people with ipods go to nightclubs, teneleven. Does that have something to do with the reason given for the psak? Scratching Head
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics