Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Dinner Ideas for 20 people needed!

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 8:14 pm
Hi! My husband is teaching a class of about 20 people beginning the end of January. As part of the class we'd like to serve dinner since it will be around that time of evening. There will be 10-12 classes!

I need good, but simple, ideas of what to serve. I can't spend an entire day in the kitchen each week, so I need very easy things. Also, since the class isn't starting for another month or so, anything I could make and freeze would be great. The classes are all weekdays, so weekday dinners are all I need, not Shabbos.

I know I could double, triple, even quadruple my recipes, but I'd really like recipes that you know will really be easy to make for such a large crowd. (I made a salmon dinner a few weeks ago and it took hours to make! 2 pieces per person was 40 pieces, so that plus all the sides, was a huge job!)

Thank you so much!

Lovelymom1

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 8:31 pm
Meatballs, teriyaki salmon, blended soups,baked ziti.

black and white

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 8:33 pm
How about breaded chicken nuggets (could be made in advance) mashed potatoes with fried onions on top and a salad
Good luck

MMCH

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 8:37 pm
meatballs - easiest

you could do soup and garlic bread one night? make a huge batch , freeze, you could make your own garlic bread (really not hard), or they sell frozen ones

tacos'- make a big batch of ground meat/turkey with taco spice (ortego) set out little bowls of tomatoes, lettuce, olives, avocodo,

a shake n' bake kind of thing- chicken cutlets in a bag with thousand island dressing, another bag with bread crumbs, and shake and bake!

chili/chulent

lasaga

hope these are good . good luck

mom2be1

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 9:07 pm
Shredded meat sandwiches. You can put a roast in the crockpot and serve over buns with all the fixings.

spinkles

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 9:23 pm
I'm a fan of easy. Why spend time cooking for 20 people every week when it'll be an added pressure you don't need? Plus people have such different tastes and dietary restrictions, and might not eat your pot of meatballs or your salmon that you slaved over. Why not do a sandwich bar? Provide baguettes, sliced tomatoes, cukes, peppers, pickles, lettuce, olives, dressing, hummus, sliced cheese, etc. A bowl of apples too. Or do bagels, tuna salad, cream cheese, hummus, veggies, etc.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 9:38 pm
What about a few pans of chicken and rice baked together? Then you just need a vegetable- green beans or roasted zucchini or something like that.

Tuna patties (easy recipe from KBD short on time) and mashed potatoes, with a salad.

Baked ziti and a ceasar salad

Grilled chicken sandwiches and coleslaw, pickles

Felafel in pita with chummus and techina, with Israeli salad something similar.

Store bought hamburgers and hot dogs are presentable if you broil or grill them and serve BBQ style

Cheese quiches using frozen brocolli or canned veggies with a soup and breadsticks.

Lasagne- regular or a meat lasagne

Baked shnitzel with roasted potatoes.

Hatzlacha!

smss

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 4:05 am
pasta's easy to make for a crowd - lasagna, fettuccine alfredo, spaghetti and meatballs, etc. add a huge salad made with bagged lettuce, cherry tomatoes and bottled dressing, and french bread or garlic bread

hero sandwiches, coleslaw, and fries/potato chips

big pot of soup, rolls, and salad

hamburgers bar

JollyMommy

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 1:49 am
BY cookbook has a SUPER easy beef roll up recipe that looks amazing! I've made it before looks like a patchke but is not.

Pita

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 9:08 am
From http://judaism.about.com/libra.....d.htm

Recipe for Irit Berkovitz' Cabbage Nut Salad

1 cabbage
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tsp. sugar

1. Cut cabbage into thin strips
2. Fry pine nuts, sesame seeds and pecan pieces in a small amount of olive oil until toasted (careful not to burn). The amounts of the nuts can vary depending on how nutty you like your salad <g>.
3. Mix cabbage and nuts together in a large bowl.
4. Mix olive oil, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl or cup. Microwave for about 1 minute to heat.
5. Pour sauce over the cabbage nut salad and mix well.
6. Let the salad sit and marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.

Note: I often substitute teriyaki for the sauce (if that is what I have, but soy is cheaper and frankly tastes great), and often just use pecans (as they are cheaper).

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 8:11 pm
I would be rather reluctant to serve soups, which is messy/prone to spill if served in a buffet style and can get lukewarm if served sit-down.

Another fan of meatballs (can be made beforehand and frozen). Other crowd-pleaser mains that would be easy to prepare is roast chicken, chicken wings (make sure you supply plenty of serviettes), brisket.

For starch, rice and pasta bakes can be prepared beforehand, can be frozen and reheat beautifully.

Some salads or veggie sticks. Fruits/store-bought cakes or brownies.

gila-rina

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 9:13 pm
Hot dogs in buns and coleslaw
orzo with veg. and baked chicken
salad with cold cuts and potato knishes
pizza?
Keep in mind your kitchen logistics; how many trays can you fit in your oven, fridge and freezer?

cs1

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 9:18 pm
Meatballs, sloppy Joes and lasagna are by far the easiest!!!
One pack makes a ton..so all you need is 4 packs of meat and everyone is happy.
salmon is a huge job..wow you're awesome.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics