Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
6-month-old on a plane.
1  2  Next

MrsButterfly

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 6:39 pm
Flying on Wednesday; Ahuva will be 6 months that Sunday! 8 hour flight.

Any tips?

granolamom

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 6:42 pm
try to be well rested and fed before the flight, both you and the baby. keep in mind that its only 8 hrs, it will be over soon. the more relaxed you are, the better the baby will cope.
and of course, new toys dont hurt either.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 9:05 pm
Some rattles/shiny toys that she likes to chew or play with.
a pacifier (if she takes one)
Spare change of clothes for both of you and plenty diapers for her.

At that age they are usually pretty ok on the plane.
Request/reserve a bassinet if possible, it usually is and you can definitely fight for one (I did, got it and it makes a huge difference!)

Bring along plenty food (finger foods if she is on solids already) and maybe pump a couple bottles for her to be able to have if you are not able to BF her (assuming you are BFing).

Good luck. Hopefully she will sleep a good few hours too.

working hard

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 9:07 pm
I did it with my twins!
I got to the airport early so that we were finished with check in, security... about 45 min before the flight. I fed them and gave them a chance to move right before we got onto the plane. This way they behaved by boarding and take off without any issues. I also had new toys for them which were a great distraction. I fed them shortly before feeding time so I did not have any crying hungry babies. I also fed them right before we got there even though it was only 2 hours later so that they would be happy while we got off the plane...
I am doing it again for Pesach when they will be 11 months old! Hope they behave!!

Sara89

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 11:00 pm
That is a great age and not too long either ( I did a longer flight when my little girl was that age). Like other posters said, book a bassinet seat- she should still fit in it at this age probably and it makes a huge dif. Especially if its a night flight. Bring some small toys and snacks if she eats that. Nurse (or give a bottle) by akeoff and landing. Take her on a walk down the aisles if she needs it. Good luck!

MrsButterfly

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 6:37 pm
Thanks! Forgot to mention a few things, as I wrote the post in a hurry.

No bottle, no pacifier, she didn't start solids yet. We got a bassinet seat!

I might buy a pacifier-type teether in case she's not in the mood to take milk. Latching is sometimes hard for her.

She sleeps at night, but with me, so I hope she'll be able to sleep in the bassinet. We're flying at night!

Shiny toys is a good idea!

And she doesn't usually like when we're sitting down, so I hope she won't mind when the seatbelt sign is up.

Also I'm very worried about her ears and I hope she doesn't throw up. My brother had a very hard time on planes when he was little. Crying

working hard , good luck with the twins!!!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 8:18 pm
Talk to the pediatrician for ideas. Definitely get the teether thing, even two of them.

It is very COLD on planes, bring your own blankets.

Wear loose stuff, because she may need to spend time inside your blouse.

People get dehydrated on planes, and you need to nurse, so bring THREE LARGE bottles of bottled water which you buy right there, once you are past the security points. Keep that receipt.

She may soil her clothes, so bring extra onesies in case of that, and many plastic bags to pack any soiled clothes into, several layers.

Bring an eye mask for yourself, and earplugs help too.

Something to read for you, maybe.

Boxes of cookies for you. You will be surely be hungry, you are nursing. The scotch shortbread cookies are kosher-D. They sell them in the airport.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 8:41 pm
My pediatrician gave me a prescription for numbing drops for my kids ears because they don't fly well. BH it works really well and they travel pain free when we use it.

working hard

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 9:06 pm
Thanks for your good wishes. I have two months until I have to deal with it. Here are some more tips that worked for me.
Bring 3 large empty water bottles and fill them up once you get to the gate. you will need them and there is no charge that way.
I gave my twins Tylenol 40 minutes before takeoff and an hour before landing to help with the pain on my pediatricians advice. I also made sure they were sucking during takeoff and landing which also helps with the pain. And as I mentioned above I made sure they were not hungry. They did not complain at all by take off and landing. I was more comfortable than they were.
Also, if your baby will take a bottle of pumped milk, most planes have an outlet in each bathroom that you can use to pump, so you can pump on the plane and give it to your baby if it is easier for you. (for me, I cannot nurse 2 on the plane so bottles worked better.I only nurse them together and at this point they will not eat alone.)
Toys were a lifesaver.
I'll share more if and when I remember

ShirleyTemple

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 9:48 pm
I flew with my 6 months old twins too but it was a lot shorter than 8 hours. Can't remember exactly everything... But we did make sure to change their diapers right before we boarded. We held them in a baby carrier so we had our hands free while sitting and they slept well in it.

My pediatrician had advised us to give Benadryl which would make them sleepy as well as help with the change of air pressure.

6 months is an ideal age to fly with, I think. Now that my twins are toddlers, it's not even an option!

Good luck! Safe trip!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 2:36 am
Amazing ear advice - I am so happy to share this Smile

We were once on an El Al flight, landing, and NOTHING worked on my child's ears - we tried all the usual remedies and - nada! In despair, I called the steward, although I didn't believe he would be able to help.....and a miracle happened...

Two paper cups
Two paper towels

Hot water on the towels, make sure each towel is a) pushed right to the bottom of its cup and b) not dripping - because it is HOT!

Place the cups over the child's ears for a bit - if I remember correctly, the science is that the steam equalises the pressure - or something similar Tongue Out

Nesia tova Cool

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 7:38 am
If there is an empty seat next to you they may let you bring her car seat on board. (Which is also better because then it wont be bumped around with the luggage.) She can sleep in there and it is much safer.

Have fun! Nurse by landing, the sucking will help with any pain.

You don't need new toys, at that age they are happy with the empty cup from your drink. Or any toys you already have.

Bring a baby carrier - every airport is different with when you check in the stroller and pick it up.

Beyla

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 9:27 am
I just traveled with my 6 month old this month!

The best is to ask for a bassinet or an empty seat next to you (I liked better the seat). What is hard for the baby in the plane is the lack of space. So an empty seat makes the trick : she can play there, sleeps there.... instead of staying on you the all flight.

I walked a lot with my baby during the flight, it helped also.

Have a pacifier or a bottle she can sucks to help her ears when needed.

Keep calm and your baby will also. I found that when I got hot/impatient ... my baby would feel the same. Especially in a tiny space.

Smile to everyone around, people traveling near babies get nervous. Very Happy

otsrock

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 9:49 am
You should be able to bring in your own water, since you are traveling with an infant. They just might test the fluids, but that takes about a minute or two.

m+m

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 11:02 am
Bring toy "rings" so you can keep the toys attached to your seat belt so if she throws them they will not keep landing on the floor. You can attach a teether to a pacifier clip and attach it to her. Plush books and toys that crinkle.

6 months is still easy for traveling.

Diaper bag:

Tylenol
Diapers
wipes
plastic bags for dirty diapers
disposable changing pads (can be very helpful)
2-3 outfits/pj's
blanket
water for baby (ask your dr- very dry on the plane)

MrsButterfly

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
Amazing ear advice - I am so happy to share this Smile

We were once on an El Al flight, landing, and NOTHING worked on my child's ears - we tried all the usual remedies and - nada! In despair, I called the steward, although I didn't believe he would be able to help.....and a miracle happened...

Two paper cups
Two paper towels

Hot water on the towels, make sure each towel is a) pushed right to the bottom of its cup and b) not dripping - because it is HOT!

Place the cups over the child's ears for a bit - if I remember correctly, the science is that the steam equalises the pressure - or something similar Tongue Out

Nesia tova Cool

I love this! Thank you!

Esti's Mom wrote:
Bring toy "rings" so you can keep the toys attached to your seat belt so if she throws them they will not keep landing on the floor. You can attach a teether to a pacifier clip and attach it to her. Plush books and toys that crinkle.

6 months is still easy for traveling.

Diaper bag:

Tylenol
Diapers
wipes
plastic bags for dirty diapers
disposable changing pads (can be very helpful)
2-3 outfits/pj's
blanket
water for baby (ask your dr- very dry on the plane)

I didn't think of using the links to attach toys to my seat belt! Heh. And I usually attach toys to everything!

Thanks everyone for the other ideas, too! Keep them coming! Very Happy

P.S. I'm not really comfortable with using medication.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 11:21 am
In regards to the medication definitely take some with you because if her ears pop and they start hurting her (and she is screaming) you would probably want to give her some.

Also I found that once the plane has actually taken off and is basically straightened out even if the seat belt sign is still on they usually don't make a fuss if the baby is still on your knee but standing or turning around.

MrsButterfly

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 12:53 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
In regards to the medication definitely take some with you because if her ears pop and they start hurting her (and she is screaming) you would probably want to give her some.

Also I found that once the plane has actually taken off and is basically straightened out even if the seat belt sign is still on they usually don't make a fuss if the baby is still on your knee but standing or turning around.

Oops, I meant Ahuva likes when I'm standing up. I got excited for a second; thought you were going to say they wouldn't mind if I'm standing when the seatbelt light is on! Oh well.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 4:55 pm
All excellent advice above (except for bringing rattles--you do not want toys that make noise).

If I may add, bring extra nappies and changes of clothes, in case of flight delays or lost luggage.
Also ziplock bags. I wouldn't bother bringing all those bottles (esp at a rip-off airside prices)--you can just walk to the galleys and get some onboard.
I'd also check the nappies before take-off and before landing--you cannot get to bathrooms once the seatbelt sign is on.

As for ear-ache/cabin pressure, the trick is to nurse just before take-off (after the plane started to taxi).

It's a sweet age to travel with. Nesia tova.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 5:14 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:

As for ear-ache/cabin pressure, the trick is to nurse just before take-off (after the plane started to taxi).

I'm the amother who suggested the steam cups - it was several years too late for me to consider nursing! Twisted Evil
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating