Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Twin Towers
1  2  Next

supermom

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 5:48 am
I just read a book on the twin towers and couldn't believe what I was reading. they say that the hatzalah men all came back alive but I didn't realize that they all suffered really badly that they almost all were close to their deaths. I agree it was by miracle that they survived. Anyone know about personal stories that they can share?

gryp

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:33 am
do you know that the NYC building codes were changed right before the Twin Towers were built? the old codes' rule was that such a big building had to have a fireproof emergency staircase in the middle of the building- thats how the Empire State building was built (ive never been there, but ive heard this from a reliable source) because it was built before the building codes were changed. but the Twin Towers didnt have this type of emergency exit.... and many people were trapped inside. Sad

supermom

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:38 am
oddly enough I don't get it they had a bomb about twelve years ago in the twin towers and still when they built it they built it quite foolishly. it really is sad as to how many people died. I am wondering on those four planes were there any jews on them?

proudmom

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:52 am
yes there were jews on the plane.

Pearl

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:10 am
what's the title of the book?

supermom

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 1:01 pm
that is so horribly sad proud. I can't even imagine what they were thinking when they knew what was happening to them and they were going to die. on all planes there were jews?

supermom

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 1:04 pm
Even In The Darkest Moments by: Zev Brier
this book was written about a little bit less then a year from the event.
I cried by most of those stories. Shoshana Lepon also writes a book on the twin towers but don't know of the name.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 1:49 pm
supermom wrote:
I am wondering on those four planes were there any jews on them?

My sister's brother in law's brother was on one of the planes.

timeout

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 2:16 pm
9/11 was just a few weeks after my baby was born 8/26/01 I was thankfully sleeping, my husband had gone into the city to give and try and get a social security card for my baby when he saw a plane hit the first tower. He immediately called on his radio ot the dispatcher in BP that something was wrong and he better send some people.

He then met up with Hatzolah guys that worked near there and got to work just putting as many people as possible in ambulances and going so he could get back and do it again.

In between he called me and said everything is OK to which I croaked what since I wasn't really awake. I definitely woke then and asked him what was going on while he was telling me the phone went dead!

I went up to my landlord who has a T.V and saw that the tower had just collapsed I tried to call my husband but couldn't get thru I stayed there glued till my husband finally called and said that when the tower collapsed he and his brother had jumped under a car to avoid the dust and rubble and was basically ok.

He came home that night 11:00pm covered head to toe white didn't say much cleaned up and sat up with the baby all night.

Later he told me of the fireman he nebech helped carry out and the horrors he saw that's still in his mind today.

After that he never did get back into his Hatzolah stuff just kind of stopped he made alot of excuses like he wanted to spend more time with us and he was tired from work but I new why.

Rivka

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 4:56 pm
RG I think all buildings have to have fire exits.
I think with the twin towers they were built when the biggest plane was a lot smaller than those that hit, so they were made to withstand a plan going into them, but of a smaller size. Plus the planes that went into them were loaded with petrol as they were all starting from Newark and were long flights. Even a fire proof exit wouldn't have helped anyone stuck above where the planes hit.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:09 pm
https://www.hatzalah.org/purchasenow.php

order it here[/url]

gryp

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:14 pm
Quote:
RG I think all buildings have to have fire exits.

Rivkah- it wasnt just a regular fire exit. it was a certain kind built to be "invincible," nothing would destroy it- a crash, an extreme temperature, whatever.
I heard this from someone who is involved in making the building codes in NYC.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:51 pm
Sad the entire twins where built to be invincible

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:59 pm
timeout , I have a friends whose husband is hatzolah here but was then working in ny, he also was there at the time of 9/11. he had to try get out as many body pieces possible to provide burial as well as look for survivors. he was there 3 days. till this day he is paranoid and completely claustrophobic, to the point , he will not go on rides in which you are belted in or fly. he thought he would be strong and they were on their way to florida and as the plane started to go on the runway he creamed so loud , thinking he was having a heart attack he got off the plane and drove to florida. and he is a macho kind a guy.

timeout

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:02 pm
wow nebech Thank G-d my husband didn't go bananas I think what helped was on the anniversarry one year later he took the head of the fire deparrtment in LA and some of his guys to the pit seeing the nothingness and talking with all the guys who were there really helped

Pearl

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 12:40 am
such an awful tragedy. I will never forget where I was and what I did when I heard and saw it.....I don't think anyone will...

when my baby was born, at almost the exact same time the madrid bombing (metro) happened...
no one told me, obviously, but next morning, with our breakfast, the nurse brought the morning paper.....it didn't really register in my mind until months later

smile

Post Fri, May 27 2005, 3:39 am
My cousin should have been working in one of the towers but because of business he had to be somewhere else to sign some papers. So B'H he was spared. But that was the second time. Once he changed a flight in the last moment because he thought it would be easier for his parents to fetch him from the other arrival city. And again the first plane crashed. B'H he had mazel.

supermom

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 2:52 am
my goodness I didn't realize this subject would be so close to home on this forum. timeout I don't blame your husband he must have felt that his life went by him in a flash of a second and thought that he lost everything. just the stories that I read I became tramatized and I was in brooklyn at that time.

supermom

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 3:03 am
my aunts brother was in the twin towers and killed it was his first day at work there. I was wondering do people ever get over the shocked the fact that their is no burial plot for them or anything on that sort? my aunt went into such depression that she doesn't speak to anyone anymore.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, May 29 2005, 3:59 pm
OK.....when the twin towers were built I couldn't imagine that they could have thought to design a building to withstand a 727 plane crashing into it nor had the capability. One of the major problems that caused the collapse was the heat of the burning fuel onto the load baring steel members in the bulding. The fire exits (fire stairwells) were built to be fire safe meaning that the fire wouldn't get into the stairwell that badly as like from office to office. Fire codes are not at all designed to keep a building standing in the event of a fire but to provide enough time for people to safely exit the bulding.

The twin towers collapse was not a design flaw but a true tragic accident. When I first heard that a plane went into the twin towers my first thought was that a small engine plane flew into it on accident. In the 40's a small plane flew into the Empire State building. I think about 15 people died but the building didn't at all suffer any structural damage. Anther said fact about the collapse was that people weren't informed to leave right away. Many offices were told to stay in the building and everything was OK. If everyone was informed at the time of impact everyone would have probably survived on the floors below the impact.

There have been many tragic accidents in fires due to human error. Some of the top ones are when there is a fire and everyone stampedes to the door and the fire exit is chained or swings in rather than out causing everyone to be trapped. That has happened more times than you can imagine. Which is why the direction of a door is so crucial. Also never chain an exit.

After the collapse many engineers were voluntiring to help search through the rubble. We all talked about the collapse. About what caused the collapse and what errors were made. A top structural engineer explained the whole thing to me and why there was a structural collapse. There is no reason a building should have been designed for a 727 safely crash into it.

The collapse of the twin towers meant so many tings besides the collapse. I lost my job due to it. The Port Authority moved its offices to Newark. The town towers had like 20 something thousand workers in the building and local business survived on the buisness which in the end they had to close.

Some amazing stories thought. One I have a friend whos wife went had an emergancy c-section on 9/11 and he didn't go to work and he worked in one of the top floors. Another man who worked at my company and was in the towers on a high high floor was in a meeting with the Port authority and he his first child 9 months later. So many people in lower manhattan live at work and spend no time with their families it made people realize "why am I doing this? My family is the most important".

On the anniversery of 9/11 many people at my work spent the day with their family. It was a quiet day in lower manhattan. I thought it was great to hear that the city that never sleeps atleast spent the day with thier family.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics