Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
State certification, anyone?

amother

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 10:16 pm
I am currently pursuing my NY State certification (that's wht I am anonymous, all my co- workers know about it)

I have a few questions:

has anyone done it rcently in NY sate?

Does anyone know if the certifcation is "transferable" to other states?u

THnak you very much

shoy18

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 10:17 pm
What are you getting certified for???

chocolate moose

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 10:17 pm
It depends what the field is...and what the test is, is it nationally registered?

amother

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 10:18 pm
to be a certified teacher,either in early childhood or speacial ed.

is there a diff?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 10:22 pm
I think you should ask the certification ppl!

amother

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 10:25 pm
Quote:
and what the test is

that is what I want to know. which tests to take. their website is so complicated and I waited close to an hour to speak to a representative before hanign up.

that is why I am asking if anyone did it recentl. ppl around here might be able to help me b/4 I get through to the department of education

nicole81

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 11:05 pm
do you have a bachelor's? do you plan on getting a master's?

for any state you're interested in relocating to, you should check that state's department of education website to see if there is a reciprocity agreement with nys. most states do have an agreement, but the qualifications vary.

you would have the easiest time transferring your degree to another state if you already had a master's in education and had no further coursework to complete.

as far as exams, start with the LAST and ATS-W. if I knew where you were in terms of your education, I might be able to help more.

amother

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 11:23 pm
Where are you taking your masters degree? I also want to do it. I'm in Brooklyn. Thaks

nicole81

Post Sat, May 05 2007, 11:26 pm
me? possibly brooklyn college. I will be applying to the teaching fellows program in the beginning of next year and if I can't get in, brooklyn is my backup plan.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 12:05 pm
Nicole, thanks for replyin.

I have a bachelors and tons of credits that WES evaluated from me from Israel., I did 4 years in ISrael in special ed and I got a BS from SUNY.

I just dont want to take a test only to be told it was the wrong one.

Quote:
as far as exams, start with the LAST and ATS-W. if I knew where you were in terms of your education, I might be able to help more.

you think I need just those two?

nicole81

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 11:31 am
you need to get the initial certification first, which is only valid for 5 years and then you must get a professional certificate by finishing an approved master's program.

is you bachelor's from suny in ed? if it's not, there is an option for individual evaluation to get an initial certificate. see this site enter the information for the certification you want, and look under pathway: individual evaluation.

you need the last, ats-w, and the multi-subject cst.

if you don't have all the required coursework, workshops, etc, you might just want to enter a master's program and get the professional cert, since you would need it anyway.

now if your bs is in ed, then just take the 3 exams and you'll also need the recommendation of your college to apply. but getting the initial cert is much easier.

either way, I recommend speaking to an ed counselor at the school you went to, because they can recommend the best course of action. if you want to jump right into a master's program, then you can speak to a counselor at any school to see what requirements you would need.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 9:57 pm
I just finished the certification process. In addition to the tests mentioned previoulsy (LAST, ATS-W, mulit-subject CST, Specific subject CST) you need to take two wokshops offered by the DOE. One is idetifying abuse and the other is school safety. You must also have your fingerprints taken you could do that at 65 court st. in Brooklyn. THere is a website that you now have to register on to be able to complete certification. I dont have the address on me now but let me know if you need it. Its a complicated process, your university should have a certification represetative that should be able to assist you. Ask your department and good luck.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 10:18 pm
As far as a Masters Program Touro College has one on Sundays in Manhattan and in Brooklyn there's a 14 month Masters Program on Sundays (TTI)fyi

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 9:34 pm
OP here,
Nicole and amother who did it. is there any way I can call you and you can give me the info over the phone?

thanks to all those who replied

nicole81

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 10:30 pm
oy, I haven't been on here in a long time! if you still have any questions you can pm me or post here. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner!

Sunangel

Post Mon, Aug 06 2007, 12:39 pm
To all those attempting to get teacher certification.

NYS does not accept paper application starting 1/1/07. Now all certification must be done on line. You can register via their website. (if anyone needs it PM me). Its actually super easy. All the various test scores, MA completion, workshops and fingerprinting information is sent to this on-line application and when you register everything is already there. You dont need to collect any paperwork. After you complete all the pre-requisites, you apply for certifivcation. NYSBOE evaluates your online application and sends you your certifivcation. I just got mine in the mail on Thursday....Yeah me!!!

If you need more information visit the eduaction departmnet website of any CUNY school and they will have all the information and links neccesary...even if you are not a student there.

Child abuse workshops can now be done on-line as well.

good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics