Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
2 Jews, 3 Opinions...

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 8:50 pm
So, I've had this same issue for a long time now. If I were to ask my rabbi in my community a question, and yet I could ask the same question of a rabbi somewhere else and get the opposite answer, how can this be?

Both are learned and both are in the same hashkafa, but they posken completely differently!?!?

This has bugged me so much that I've even had a convo. with my rabbi about it because it upsets me so much. How can I ever know that I'm doing the "right" thing?

If I move, I have to follow the minhag hamakom, but what if it's different? I know things like clothing you should follow so you shouldn't stand out, but what about other things like kashrut and blechs and etc.etc.etc. Every time I move I'm supposed to ask the rabbi of the community every question that I've already asked or already knew again and get another answer, either that's different or the same?

Sorry for venting, but I have been upset about this for so long b/c I just feel like, if nothing is ever consistent, then how could we possibly know where we stand? People say that someone else is doing something wrong or against halacha, but their Rav said it's ok. I just don't get it.

Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 9:18 am
Believe me, one rabbi will not say going against halacha is okay. I'm sure the answers you are getting are shades in a grey area.

As far as covering legs, I have had the situation where one rabbi said that any tights are okay, for example, whereas another said they should be a obv thickness or a color. It doesn't change the bottom line halacha that the legs need to be covered.

Does that help at all?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions