Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Please be aware about Flu Vaccine Dangers
Previous  1  2  3  Next

etky

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:19 am
chaiz wrote:
So interesting. At one of the meuhedet clinics, it seemed to be strongly recommended for specific sectors of the population. I know back in the States as well, my doctor who was mainstream regarding vaccinations did not seem to push it for the entire population.
I am sorry about your experiences. IY"H the vaccine should be effective and you and your family will have a healthy and safe year.

Thx. Let's hope it's not a bad flu year all around. I seem to remember that last year was not so bad but the previous 2 years were terrible. The year my kids and DH got sick there was an unusually high number of fatalities, especially among previously healthy people. Hospital wards were overflowing and they just couldn't keep up with the steady stream of patients. They were begging people not to come to the emergency rooms unless they were like dying.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:37 am
chaiz wrote:
Oh me too. Smile I am wary of much of the internet; the link did not give me reason to think it was a credible article to take seriously. I was responding to your general point without discussing the article.

So in general, flu vaccine is neither a horror nor a panacea.It does come with identified risks and potential benefits. But it's a little harder to assess than other vaccines because, due to the changing nature of the flu and therefore the anticipatory nature of the vaccine development process, the actual benefit of the vaccine can only be known in retrospect so it can be a bit of a cra p shoot. I respect any informed, reasoned assessment process regardless of the final decision, even if it's different than mine.

Laiya

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 7:29 am
chaiz wrote:
Oh me too. Smile I am wary of much of the internet; the link did not give me reason to think it was a credible article to take seriously. I was responding to your general point without discussing the article.

The article actually said the parents "believe" the injury to their daughter was caused by the flu vaccine, while the doctors say this isn't possible, and no specific cause has yet been determined.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 7:48 am
I am totally pro vac, and I give all of them except flu and HPV. Those two are just too unpredictable right now.

I've been following this blog http://nopostergirl.com/2011/0.....rt-I/ It's really scary, because she hasn't posted in a really long time, and the last time she did, it sounded like she had given up. Crying

etky

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am totally pro vac, and I give all of them except flu and HPV. Those two are just too unpredictable right now.

I've been following this blog http://nopostergirl.com/2011/0.....rt-I/ It's really scary, because she hasn't posted in a really long time, and the last time she did, it sounded like she had given up. Crying

I don't do HPV either.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:25 am
What's unpredictable about the hpv vaccine? They've identified beyond a shadow of a doubt which strains cause cervical cancer and which cause warts.

I can't believe someone would be adamant that the flu vaccine kills people but there's no way the flu virus could kill someone.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:33 am
amother wrote:
What's unpredictable about the hpv vaccine? They've identified beyond a shadow of a doubt which strains cause cervical cancer and which cause warts.

I can't believe someone would be adamant that the flu vaccine kills people but there's no way the flu virus could kill someone.

The anecdotal evidence regarding severe side effects and the vaccine's as yet unproven efficacy (and it doesn't vaccinate against all the strains).
Also the requisiteness of the vaccine in view of the low rates of cervical cancer in Israel.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 8:41 am
[derailing the discussion a bit]

I have read several studies from non-crackpot sources, stating that there have been many cases of severe reactions to the HPV vaccine, like the reaction that girl had to the flu shot. I just don't think there are enough long term studies yet, that's all. I have no moral issues with the HPV vaccine, I just want to see more data.

In the meantime, DD is very educated about HPV, and how condoms will not protect her.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 9:46 am
etky wrote:
The anecdotal evidence regarding severe side effects and the vaccine's as yet unproven efficacy (and it doesn't vaccinate against all the strains).
Also the requisiteness of the vaccine in view of the low rates of cervical cancer in Israel.

Which one do you have in Israel? Both protect against all the main virulent strains that cause cancer.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 9:51 am
Frumdoc wrote:

Unfortunately the international teams got the predicted strains wrong, so it was a bad year. Not terrible , not epidemic, which is the big fear of overwhelming services.

Yet the CDC was STILL recommending it despite known risks of vaccine and knowing there was 12% chance it will be effective. What does that tell you about trusting them?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
Yet the CDC was STILL recommending it despite known risks of vaccine and knowing there was 12% chance it will be effective. What does that tell you about trusting them?

My child's pediatrician said to get it that year if in your household (or you are in contact often like seeing Zaide every week) there were: elderly, infants/toddlers, people with asthma or other breathing issues, immunocompromised individuals, pregnant women etc.

My family has many of the above so several of us got it. Insurance issues stopped the rest of the family but we plan to get it this year.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
Which one do you have in Israel? Both protect against all the main virulent strains that cause cancer.

They have both. Two years ago, the first year that they began to immunize the 8th grade girls in school - after the issue was vociferously and hotly debated for a number of years at the Health Ministry - they gave Cervarix. Last year, the year DD was supposed to get it, they switched to Gardasil which covers more strains. The immunization was optional. If you didn't want your daughter to get it you just had to write a note, which a number of parents did.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:

It tells me that based on their epidemiological research the vaccine is not harmful, despite random reports that people wanted to pinpoint negative outcomes to it.

Do you understand why the flu vaccine has to be updated every year?

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 2:53 pm
5*Mom wrote:
This is disingenuous. Flu and flu vaccine are not the same as, say polio and polio vaccine. My pediatrician, a pro-vax-on-schedule mainstream medical doctor, does not routinely recommend flu vaccine to his healthy patients nor does he give it to his family members. Please stop misrepresenting the vaccine issue as an all-or-nothing, you're-either-with-us-or-you're-against-us binary issue. It's not binary.

But I do agree that there is probably no point in engaging.

I don't - if you read my most recent postings on vaccination then it is clear that I differentiate between the different vaccinations and diseases. I discussed the HBV vaccine at length, only to be trolled by imamothers.

But of course on here, it is easier for you to just make unjustified accusations.

Please stop misrepresenting me as not having the intelligence to understand the subtleties of modern medicine. I give up with this website - everything I write has to be deliberately misunderstood and attacked.

Whatever.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
It tells me that based on their epidemiological research the vaccine is not harmful, despite random reports that people wanted to pinpoint negative outcomes to it.

Do you understand why the flu vaccine has to be updated every year?

They don't have time to go through the usual process with the flu shot because it changes so frequently and of course I understand why they have to update it every year. That doesn't take away the fact that it has side effects and last year had VERY limited success as admitted by the CDC who continued to recommend it.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 3:36 pm
Frumdoc wrote:
I don't - if you read my most recent postings on vaccination then it is clear that I differentiate between the different vaccinations and diseases. I discussed the HBV vaccine at length, only to be trolled by imamothers.

But of course on here, it is easier for you to just make unjustified accusations.

Please stop misrepresenting me as not having the intelligence to understand the subtleties of modern medicine. I give up with this website - everything I write has to be deliberately misunderstood and attacked.

Whatever.

Please don't. I only wish opened this thread because I saw you posted. Your posts on this subject are clear and well thought out. I've learned quite a bit from you.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
My child's pediatrician said to get it that year if in your household (or you are in contact often like seeing Zaide every week) there were: elderly, infants/toddlers, people with asthma or other breathing issues, immunocompromised individuals, pregnant women etc.

My family has many of the above so several of us got it. Insurance issues stopped the rest of the family but we plan to get it this year.

Pediatricians can say what they want but as of last year here in NY the department of health requires all schoolchildren to have it, updated every year. It struck me as quite crazy that they chose the 12% effective year to start enforcing this rule (and yes, the decision came out after it was already clear that the vax wasn't effective that year.) I don't like it.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:08 pm
seeker wrote:
Pediatricians can say what they want but as of last year here in NY the department of health requires all schoolchildren to have it, updated every year. It struck me as quite crazy that they chose the 12% effective year to start enforcing this rule (and yes, the decision came out after it was already clear that the vax wasn't effective that year.) I don't like it.

children ages 6 months-5 years who attend city regulated daycare or preschool are required to get the vaccinated. Can you please point me in the direction of something that says its mandatory for children older than that?

Miri7

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:25 pm
Please also be aware of dangers posed by auto accidents.

In 2013, 640 children under the age of 13 were killed in auto accidents.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topic.....afety

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 6:57 pm
I did hear that the CDC has indicated that so far it looks like the vaccine this year is expected to be more effective than last year - they made a better guess at the right strains. This was based on what strains they're seeing around the world right now, which are matching better than last year with what's in the vaccine.

So that's good news - especially for those of us with children who are prone to complications and for whom the flu can be very dangerous. (My child gets pneumonia at the slightest cold.)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics