Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Money dispute with psychiatrist

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:13 pm
My child sees a psychiatrist every few weeks and is on medication. I always schedule the 30 min appointment for $200 instead
Instead of the 45 min appointment for $275. Dh always jokes about how it's a big ripoff because the psychiatrist knows how he will adjust the meds 10 minutes into the appointment and we spend the rest of the appointment shmuzing giving 25 examples of what's been happening. We had a 30 min schedule appointment this morning. I believe he knew what changes would be made 10 minutes into the session. We ended up shmuzing for close to 45 minutes. The office just called and said that we went overtime and they want to bill a 45 min session. I say the doctor needs to keep track of time and end the scheduled appointment. Who's right?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:15 pm
I say it's the doctors responsibility to point out that time's up and ask if you need more time.

But from now on, I suggest you keep an eye on the clock as well.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:31 pm
I agree the doc needs to keep track of time and give you a heads up as the appt is wrapping up. If you end up staying s/he needs to let you know you are now going into the 45 minute session.
Did you keep "shmuzing" (as you say) while the doc was trying to send you home?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 1:35 pm
Oh no this doctor is not honest with you.
This is a red flag. I would in a very nice way tell the secretary that you think its the doctors responsiblity to let you know when the time is up. He was wrong. dont go for this.
I have seen psychiatrists and they keep a tab on the timing. doesnt sound good to me.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 2:58 pm
my son was in therapy recently and he had a breakthrough 5-10 minutes before the end of the session. The therapist kept going, and after she finished the session I asked her how much more I owe her since we went overtime. She said that we do not owe her anything. If she keeps going it is on her, if she asks me if she should keep going then it is my decision and then I would have had to pay. I think that is the ethically correct way of doing it.
It could be the dr. felt that he is doing you a favor by doing a 1/2 hour session and he does not want to end up doing a 45 min session every time when you are paying 1/2 hour. I am not sure it is a red flag, but def something to discuss.

debsey

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 3:34 pm
It is the doctor's responsibility to say that the time is up. You can check with your state's ethics board. You don't have to file a complaint against the doctor, you can just call and check. In many states, you can call anonymously.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
I agree the doc needs to keep track of time and give you a heads up as the appt is wrapping up. If you end up staying s/he needs to let you know you are now going into the 45 minute session.
Did you keep "shmuzing" (as you say) while the doc was trying to send you home?

At around the 40 min mark the doctor said we're going to have to stop. We ended there. I feel so bad because I like and respected this doctor and I feel like this is a complete cheap shot trying to hussle us out of $75. I'm really hoping someone can find an argument why the doctor is right or at least has a side. There was no breakthrough and in fact my child wasn't even there, it was just dh and I.

tichellady

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 3:49 pm
I wouldn't assume the doctor told the billing office what to Bill you- maybe the biller just saw how long the session was and made the decision his or herself. I would make sure to clarify with the doctor directly.

debsey

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 3:50 pm
tichellady wrote:
I wouldn't assume the doctor told the billing office what to Bill you- maybe the biller just saw how long the session was and made the decision his or herself. I would make sure to clarify with the doctor directly.

Good point. That is possible and certainly consistent with being DLKZ.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 4:09 pm
straight up tell the doctor you are not paying for more than the 30 minute session ...

I wouldn't feel comfortable if he did this once let alone on a regular basis ~ just sayin'

Miri7

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 4:32 pm
I would contact the billing person and let them know that you scheduled for 30 minutes, then the doctor ended the session at 40. You didn't realize you had gone over and did not intend to go over.

AND - you didn't get the full 45 minutes. If the doctor stopped it at 40 and the biller wants to charge for 45, then that seems unfair, as you didn't get the full 45 minutes they are asking you to pay for.

I would be that it's the biller, not the doctor who decided to charge for the extra 15 minutes.

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 4:38 pm
Hi amother: I had a similar situation with an OT for my kid. She was running 15 minutes late, ended the session I time, and then charged me for the full hour. Although it was probably an honest mistake, At $54 for 15 minutes.....I was not going to pay that! I wrote a very polite letter calling that billing fraud. If needed, you can send a copy to the licensing agency in your city/state.

I also sent in a check for the amount I thought was correct. On the back I wrote "accord and satisfaction." That means that if there is a dispute about the amount owed, the one receiving the check accepts this as full payment for the service, and therefore can no longer bother you about it. (According to the fair debt collection act)

You can PM me and I can send you a copy of the letter I wrote (we have a few lawyers in our family who helped me write it!)

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 11:49 am
OP, can you tell us how it was resolved? I'm curious because I've had money disputes with professionals over things like that, and was given the sense that I'm overreacting. So I'm curious how your ds's psychiatrist resolves this.

nywife

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 7:30 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Hi amother: I had a similar situation with an OT for my kid. She was running 15 minutes late, ended the session I time, and then charged me for the full hour. Although it was probably an honest mistake, At $54 for 15 minutes.....I was not going to pay that! I wrote a very polite letter calling that billing fraud. If needed, you can send a copy to the licensing agency in your city/state.

I also sent in a check for the amount I thought was correct. On the back I wrote "accord and satisfaction." That means that if there is a dispute about the amount owed, the one receiving the check accepts this as full payment for the service, and therefore can no longer bother you about it. (According to the fair debt collection act)

You can PM me and I can send you a copy of the letter I wrote (we have a few lawyers in our family who helped me write it!)

I'm curious why you went to all that trouble vs just calling them up and clarifying?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 8:48 pm
debsey wrote:
OP, can you tell us how it was resolved? I'm curious because I've had money disputes with professionals over things like that, and was given the sense that I'm overreacting. So I'm curious how your ds's psychiatrist resolves this.

I called and told the secretary that its up to the doctor to end the session. We went back and forth a little and she said she would discuss with the doctor and let me know. It appeared that the doctor instructed the biller to try to bill extra. As of now my credit card hasn't been billed so it seems they will let it go. Either way I'm very disappointed that the office tried grabbing an extra $75. I really appreciate that some people here suggested that it was the biller doing it without the doctors consent. It's possible but a major longshot. I'm not sure I will use that office going forward.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
I called and told the secretary that its up to the doctor to end the session. We went back and forth a little and she said she would discuss with the doctor and let me know. It appeared that the doctor instructed the biller to try to bill extra. As of now my credit card hasn't been billed so it seems they will let it go. Either way I'm very disappointed that the office tried grabbing an extra $75. I really appreciate that some people here suggested that it was the biller doing it without the doctors consent. It's possible but a major longshot. I'm not sure I will use that office going forward.

Thanks for updating us. If you do leave, I suggest you tell them why. I wish the whole system would be a bit more clear. I have had this issue in the past as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics