Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Whether to vaccinate or not
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Aish

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 12:41 am
deleted

Last edited by Aish on Tue, May 09 2006, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

baby's mom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 12:54 am
deedee wrote:
Quote:
Igros Kodesh (heb) vol. 11, bottom p. 137

Quote:
In answer to your letter in which you ask about injections that they do for young children, in such situations al tifrosh min ha'tzibur (don't separate yourself from the community) and do as most of the class in the school your children attend ...

The Lubavitcher Rebbe is replying to a specific letter, answering a certain individual. Is there a PUBLIC sicha or letter that the Rebbe is for everyone to get vaccin.?

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 12:59 am
I actually did a bit more reading about the death rates from measles. Interesting that they chose 1901 to quote, b/c the death rate had decreased to almost nothing by the 1960's before the introduction of the vaccine! The death rate has actually gone up since the introduction of the vaccine (yes, you read that right). The speculation is that it is due to more infants and older people getting it, when it is more dangerous (see the chicken pox discussion for a similar idea). Mothers today rarely have had measles and therefore don't pass on protective antibodies to their babies (the antibodies from the vaccination are much less effective in that way) leaving infants at greater risk and the older you are the more dangerous the disease. There is also some speculation that the vaccination program has allowed a more virulent strain of the virus to breed as the 'wild type virus' that people catch when they do get measles.

shoy18

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 12:48 pm
Where do you people live? I know that where I live you may not attend school unless you are vaccinated, even in yeshivas if you werent vaccinated or if they did not revcieve your vaccination card you are sent home, same with a dr. checkup if you havent had one either the chool dr gives you one or you go home. How do you plan on sendning your children to school? Also some parents may find out and feel uncomfortable with the fact that your child hasnt been vaccinated

how can they go travelling if they choose to when thier older maybe they will have to live in another country, how does that work? , they may CV pick something up when thier older, forget the side effects when they recieve the vaccine what about later in life?
this is not an attack Im just curious as to how it works in your schools?

chavamom

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 12:52 pm
shoy18 wrote:
Where do you people live? I know that where I live you may not attend school unless you are vaccinated, even in yeshivas if you werent vaccinated or if they did not revcieve your vaccination card you are sent home, same with a dr. checkup if you havent had one either the chool dr gives you one or you go home. How do you plan on sendning your children to school? Also some parents may find out and feel uncomfortable with the fact that your child hasnt been vaccinated

how can they go travelling if they choose to when thier older maybe they will have to live in another country, how does that work? , they may CV pick something up when thier older, forget the side effects when they recieve the vaccine what about later in life?
this is not an attack Im just curious as to how it works in your schools?

It depends on where the school is. Many states have exemptions for vaccinations. I signed an exemption for my kids for some of the vaccines.

shoy18

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 12:55 pm
so which ones were you forced to give?

chavamom

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 1:15 pm
shoy18 wrote:
so which ones were you forced to give?

None. I chose to give some.

shoy18

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 1:20 pm
which ones if I may ask and why did you choose to give those and which one did you choose not to give? if I may ask

chavamom

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 2:11 pm
I gave DTaP and one dose of MMR.

ElTam

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 3:36 pm
Since people objected to the 1901 measles data, here are some other numbers from the CDC.

Quote:
Before measles immunization was available, nearly everyone in the U.S. got measles. An average of 450 measles-associated deaths were reported each year between 1953 and 1963.

In the U.S., up to 20 percent of persons with measles are hospitalized. Seventeen percent of measles cases have had one or more complications, such as ear infections, pneumonia, or diarrhea. Pneumonia is present in about six percent of cases and accounts for most of the measles deaths. Although less common, some persons with measles develop encephalitis (swelling of the lining of the brain), resulting in brain damage.

As many as three of every 1,000 persons with measles will die in the U.S. In the developing world, the rate is much higher, with death occurring in about one of every 100 persons with measles.

Measles is one of the most infectious diseases in the world and is frequently imported into the U.S. In the period 1997-2000, most cases were associated with international visitors or U.S. residents who were exposed to the measles virus while traveling abroad. More than 90 percent of people who are not immune will get measles if they are exposed to the virus.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), nearly 900,000 measles-related deaths occurred among persons in developing countries in 1999. In populations that are not immune to measles, measles spreads rapidly. If vaccinations were stopped, each year about 2.7 million measles deaths worldwide could be expected.

In the U.S., widespread use of measles vaccine has led to a greater than 99 percent reduction in measles compared with the pre-vaccine era. If we stopped immunization, measles would increase to pre-vaccine levels.

More info on other diseases here:
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publica.....p.htm

Aish

Post Sat, Aug 20 2005, 9:50 pm
deleted

Last edited by Aish on Tue, May 09 2006, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

chen

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 2:58 pm
I am old enough to have had measles, mumps, rubella , whooping cough and chicken pox--the diseases, not the vaccines, which were not available when I was a baby. One of those diseases left me partly deaf. My cousin caught rubella during her first pregnancy and lost the baby. My sister had polio. She survived but underwent many excruciating operations to rebuild her legs and still limps to this day. She was one of the lucky ones: others of her generation--those who survived--were left paralyzed. B"H we were all born late enough into the 20th century to have had medical care that ensured our survival. My mother's generation was not so lucky: several of her siblings died of infectious diseases before they were 3 years old.

I would much rather have had the immunizations than the diseases. The immunization programs in the US and UK have been so successful that people have forgotten that these diseases are killers. Because the diseases are no longer endemic in the West to the extent that they were a generation or two ago (but still endemic and sometimes epidemic in other countries, especially the third world), children do not have the opportunity to build up natural immunity to these diseases. In the absence of vaccination, that leaves them at terrible risk.

If you want some insight into how easy it is for diseases to move around the globe, read "When germs travel", by Howard Markel (Pantheon Books, New York, 2004).

chen

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 2:18 pm
I just found out why "childhood diseases" are so named. They actually strike at any age. when there is an epidemic, some people are already immune due to previous exposure to the germ. of those who get sick, whoever doesn't die is now also immune. Next epidemic, the most susceptible people around are those who were born after the last epidemic. So the disease appears to selectively strike children, but only because most of the adults are already immune.

Pretty neat, huh?

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 10:20 pm
did anyone hear of the recent POLIO outbreak in Israel? (yup, POLIO!)
my pediatrician mentioned it to me when I asked him if he thinks all the vaccinations are necessary.

IndyMom

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 8:19 am
chavamom - why did you do the MMR? just curious.

I am still weighing all these issues out. I think I will just get them the DTAP and Polio.

Aish

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 1:04 pm
deleted

Last edited by Aish on Tue, May 09 2006, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 1:10 pm
how did you find out the details?
I was wondering about it...

Aish

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 7:41 pm
deleted

Last edited by Aish on Tue, May 09 2006, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

deedee

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 8:17 pm
GO aish!! I enjoyed ur post thanks for taking the time to write it.

Aish

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 8:22 pm
deleted

Last edited by Aish on Tue, May 09 2006, 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics