Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Photocopying portraits/copying CD's and recipes
1  2  3  4  Next

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 5:27 pm
Anyone know of a good place to color-copy professional portraits.... AND is it legal?

Motek

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 5:28 pm
I would think any copy store that has color-copy equipment.

as far as legal - it's YOUR picture and you can do as you please with it, I would think

proudmom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 5:28 pm
walmart

lucky

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 5:42 pm
It is not legal. The photographer has copy rights. At wal-Mart, s/o I know had to bring a release note from the photographer other wise it infringes on the copyright laws.

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 5:44 pm
Exploding anger I got the portraits taken at JC Penney-so they would have to give me a note? I never understood why someone else has a copyright on MY kids!!!

lucky

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 5:47 pm
JCPENNY wants u to order copies from them! thats where they make the money. U can try a smaller store s/t they let it slip through.

Chanie

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 5:50 pm
there are Kodak machines in many stores now where you can print your digitals or reprint your prints at decent quality, I'm sure there are stores in your area who have this machine....
Try large chain pharmacies... In the US, CVS, greenbaums and the likes, or shoppers mart, pharmacy in Canada.

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 5:58 pm
The photographer has rights over the image, but is not allowed to publish it (for that he'd need a model release). It is illegal to copy pics without permission, and Halachically wrong as well- you're taking away their parnasa.

If you want tons of cheap portraits, Walmart offers big packages for about $5.

micki

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 7:27 pm
its illegal. I work at the picture people and we get asked for releases all the time. it is only given if the negative is no longer available or other good reasons.

walmart will ask to see the original picture- and if they see the copyright on the back then they will not let you do it.

and its the photographers picture- as was explained.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 7:36 pm
better to do it at sears or walmart then do this. Micki u work shock

micki

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 8:08 pm
only very part time- int he evenings or afternoons if hubby is home. and only when they need extra seasonal help-
its great having that break- and all that adult interaction!

IndyMom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 9:31 pm
It is illegal, and in some places it is very easy to buy the negatives and then you can make as many pictures as you want too. When we took pics of all my mother's grandchildren at the picture people, we got our free 10x13 for my mother and then we bought the negatives and made our own copies of the pictures for therest of the family. It came out MUCH cheaper then buying each copy from the PP.

stem

Post Mon, Jul 25 2005, 9:54 pm
How much does it cost to buy the negatives from the PP?

queen

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 1:39 am
I was in a rush to have our wedding picture etched onto wood and couldn't get a release from our wedding photographer. (he was out of town/unreachable- I DID try)

The photo store said that as long as I scan it myself, and bring it to them on a disc they would reproduce it for me. They just were not allowed under law to scan it themselves and make copies.

As my wedding photographer didn't offer etching my picture on wood, I only felt a little bad doing it..... although- don't all jump down my throat (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) bec. I DO know this was not the ideal situation!!!!!

IndyMom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 1:47 am
I think it cost us around $45. I don't remember for sure though.

supermom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 6:38 am
with our wedding pictures they wouldn't give us the negitives even if we would ask them of course they want to make money off of them. so we went to one of those machines and enlarged them ourselves, it came out to be eight dollars a picture instead of fifty dollars a pic. it is not right why they should even charge so much money for your wedding picture.

for example if I wanted two pictures enlarged why should I have to pay 100 dollars compared to sixteen dollars? even the small ones were an insane price. I feel if they would do it for much cheaper then people wouldn't mind going to them for enlargements and reprints and they wouldn't have to go elsewhere for it.

in sears they have for three dollars for an enlargement bigger then I got for my wedding pictures that is more reasonable and people would go back to them gladly.

IndyMom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 8:50 am
Do you have any idea how expensive photography equipment is? their prices aren't just crazy inflation, but a way for them to have good equipment in order to take beautiful pictures. You aren't just paying for the picture.

As a further point, it is stealing to dub CDs and Tapes, and to download movies. These are parnassah for people and just because it is easy to copy doesnt mean its ok, and just becuase everyone does it doesnt mean its ok.

queen

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 10:57 am
IndyMom wrote:
Do you have any idea how expensive photography equipment is?

you're very right. I've never thought about it in that way before.

I worked at a company that took photographs for catalogs- EACH camera cost $70,000. and they didn't just have one.

Motek

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 5:54 pm
The thread is entitled PHOTOCOPYING portraits. I understood that to mean copying a picture on to PAPER which costs a couple of dollars.

The subsequent posts are not about PAPER but about actual photos. That's something else entirely!

I have not asked a rav this question so this is just my own thought - I cannot see that halacha will require you to make an actual photograph when you are happy with paper.

IndyMom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 6:05 pm
So if someone dubs a CD into a tape is that ok?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions