Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Who builds the sukkah in your family?
1  2  Next

Who Builds the Sukkah in YOUR family?
Husband  
 61%  [ 24 ]
I DO!  
 7%  [ 3 ]
Its a family event  
 25%  [ 10 ]
We pay someone to do it!  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 39

shira

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 5:14 pm
Just finished building our sukkah!

loveit

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 5:17 pm
I help and by help I mean direct, I leave the physical labor to my husband!! We decorate together because if I had my way, the sukkah would be decorated with pink sparkly fruit!

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 5:31 pm
Ah the joys of older children... they got the walls up Thursday night, all we have left to do is Schach and decorations. DH is OFF the hook!
I have such "fond" memories of the two of us hauling our particle-board walls in the cold air of Pittsburgh and NJ. We had to work hard to make sure we had a warm-ish place to sit in those colds nights. No fun, but the kids were so young then and of no help....
Yagaata UMatzaata - taamin (kids grow up and can help!!!!)

Seraph

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 5:42 pm
we have a pop up sukka, my husband and I put it up together.

shira

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 5:55 pm
Whats a pop-up sukkah?

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 9:31 pm
Beware of the pop-up sukkah. Someone popped one up last year and didn't anchor it down. The wind picked it up and it tore a huge hole in the wall of our sukkah!

Marion

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 11:00 pm
I wouldn't even know how to anchor down our sukkah...doesn't that defeat the purpose of its temporary-ness?

Last year I put it up, but I told DH he has to do it this year (I'm 8 months pregnant).

greenfire

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 11:25 pm
last year I had a cast on my foot and although I am usually the muscles with a bit of help from my son and sometimes little dd ... he put it up last year ... but since he didn't take it down and I had that cast on ... I'm still Twisted Evil on strike - so ... unless he is gonna take it down - I do not even really want it up ... will have to see what time does ...

cindy324

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 11:30 pm
I miss the days we used to make a sukkah. My DH would be drilling, I'd yell at him to close the porch door, he'll wake up the kids, then he'd call me out to hold up a 20lb. beam so he can screw it in... LOL Then I'd beg him to be careful, 'cause he'd look like he was gonna fall right off the porch, while working on the outside of the sukkah..AHHH the good old days...

Since we moved, we don't have space to make a sukkah, since the downstairs tenant got first dibs on the spot, so either we eat next door at my in laws, or use the tenant's sukkah when they go out for meals. This year we're going away to Mexico, we got invited by friends of ours B"H.

BP MOM

Post Sat, Sep 22 2007, 11:57 pm
Wow thats really an exciting trip.
I too am not having a succah this year we are invited out by some of our family & friends!!

su7kids

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 12:17 am
Over the years, dh and the boys made a very solid sukkah. We did think of expanding it this year, now that we have 2 in law children (and one one the way ) and a grandchild, and who knows what next Sukkos will bring.

But we'll see.

Meantime, I think the kids will at least take all the parts out tomorrow and we have to clean up the driveway and make space.

Living in a house in california we have tons of space and a nice big sukkah.

It rained today (Yom Kippur) so I'm hoping it wont rain Sukkos, but it usually does!!

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 4:08 am
funny when I was growing up we never had asucca in london, most people had a built in succa attached to the house from brik walls that they used all year round so what did we have to do nothing just the decorations!!! and before pesach we ate in the succa cus the rest of the house was pesach dig and our joke would be to make the bracha.

now living in israel I see the fun of building a real succa dh builds it with help and ds wants to help also.

btw just don't light candles in the succa... we ahd a fire 3 years ago by my neighbour that cost my neigbours succa and furniture and almost ours. it was really scary and it was a ness. we couldn't eat the first day in the succa, one of the neibours invited us all to them, he's the deputy mayor of town and was so amazing, well they broke our succa to put the fire out, there was destroyed and we have burnt signs on some stuff uncluding the sechach and we had no electricty cus teh electricty an gas was disconnected. so we had to rebuild them both after yom tov plus clean the house. thank good ness the army anp police came to lend a hand and at one point we had boys who just wanted to watch the soldiers building, I was so fed up of everyone coming in nad having to be out cus of smoke inhalation that I said to them either ou do sponja or stay clear.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 9:58 am
It was my father, now it's my dh and a non Jewish worker who comes to help Smile

amother

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 10:10 am
Quote:
It rained today (Yom Kippur) so I'm hoping it wont rain Sukkos, but it usually does!!

And HOW IT RAINED!! If this weather continues, we might as well go to NY for sukkos (to family)!!

My dh usually gets some bochurim to come and help.
And I get the ucky job of cleaning the boards from spider webs and what-not!! Mad (we keep it outside, covered, all year)

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 10:11 am
c"v you can have a fire anywhere there are candles ... one must take precautions to do so properly and safely ... it certainly doesn't stop you from bentching licht ...

Purplehair

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 10:42 am
My father usually puts it up for us. This year, it went up real early (the week before R"H!). My parents are in E"Y this year for a family simcha and both DH and I are clueless as to how to build this sukkah! B"H my father was able to help us out before they left. Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 11:27 am
Out of curiosity, where are the California posters from?

I live in Palo Alto -- the rain was so cold here yesterday that people were wearing winter coats in shul! California is not supposed to be like this. Sad

amother

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 11:32 am
L.A.!!
It was freeeeezing in shul with the a/c blasting away!
Sure hope it warms up and clears up for sukkos.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 2:15 pm
Usually our sukka is finished as yom tov comes in. Last year my dh invented a whole type of slot system for our sukka, with metal brackets, which is meant to be really easy to build again.

Well, guess what, it is already built now, 3 whole days before yom tov! It took dh and a friend about 3 hours, not counting the schach. We have a few bamboo mats, which are up but we still need some of the real stuff, which we have to cut from someones garden.

MiriamNechama, which part of London did you grow up in? I grew up in stamford hill and most ppl built sukkos, only a few (well off) people had inside sukkos.

Yakira

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 2:43 pm
We don't make a sukkah, we go away the first and last days. But DH helps my BIL build his mom's sukkah and we eat there on Ch"M if we need to (it's right around the corner)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics