Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Nose peircings
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Jalapeño

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
does it hurt a lot to have one's nose pierced? can it cause an infection if place not kept hygienic?
I wonder what it feels like to have something sticking into one's nose?
my kids keep on telling me to have my ears pierced, and I'm scared stiff... - can't be bothered with the pain, have had enough pain and pricking with injections, blood tests and intravenous in my life, - and also being careful about infections with earrings.

Wondering if a nose ring is a chatzitzah and has to be removed before mikvah? and if yes, do you have to clean the hole like with earring holes?

interesting...

Mine did not hurt at all, but you must go to a reputable piercer.
It can get infected, but only if you neglect it (and even then), or get it done at a shoddy place (must use a needle, not a gun).

It is very easy to remove and reinsert once healed, so not a real problem for mikva, and yes it's cleaned like an earring hole.
If it's not easy for you to remove you should ask a rav.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 4:45 pm
You can even not have a piercing and still be your own person!

Jalapeño

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:
You can even not have a piercing and still be your own person!

Haha yes sorry you're absolutely right! I guess I meant it's nice to see some very non conforming frum people

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:
I actually asked a very chasidishe Rebitzin about this once and she replied that although yes, it can be beautiful, it was adopted by the umos haolam and worn in a low class manner, so therefore, even though a nose ring has its source in the Torah, most Jewish people don't wear them today because of the image the umos haolam have created around it.

But there is nothing inherently wrong with a nose ring. It all comes down to image portrayal.

Total bs explanation. The umos haolam have adopted wearing all the same kinds of jewelry that we do. Should we now all refrain from wearing necklaces, bracelets and rings as well? How about diamond rings to signify marriage? Does that come from the Torah or have we adopted that from the umos haolam? Why can we adopt some thing but not others?

It basically comes down to the same issue everything else comes down to: we pick and choose whatever we want to do and makes us feel good. And if someone feels good wearing a nose stud, that's exactly what she should do.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:45 pm
Maya wrote:
Total bs explanation. The umos haolam have adopted wearing all the same kinds of jewelry that we do. Should we now all refrain from wearing necklaces, bracelets and rings as well? How about diamond rings to signify marriage? Does that come from the Torah or have we adopted that from the umos haolam? Why can we adopt some thing but not others?

It basically comes down to the same issue everything else comes down to: we pick and choose whatever we want to do and makes us feel good. And if someone feels good wearing a nose stud, that's exactly what she should do.

Agree! If I liked a nose ring and wanted one I'd get one and not waste time feeling guilty about it when it's totally fine according to halacha.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:45 pm
amother wrote:
does it hurt a lot to have one's nose pierced? can it cause an infection if place not kept hygienic?
I wonder what it feels like to have something sticking into one's nose?
my kids keep on telling me to have my ears pierced, and I'm scared stiff... - can't be bothered with the pain, have had enough pain and pricking with injections, blood tests and intravenous in my life, - and also being careful about infections with earrings.

I just had mine done a few months back and it was done by a professional piercer. I had no pain. I was a bit concerned about slow healing due to my age, but it healed up just fine and I did all the recommended care as it healed.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:56 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I just had mine done a few months back and it was done by a professional piercer. I had no pain. I was a bit concerned about slow healing due to my age, but it healed up just fine and I did all the recommended care as it healed.

Um you are so cool.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:06 pm
sequoia wrote:
Um you are so cool.

And you are too kind.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:07 pm
Lol - I actually thought OP sounded like a troll until I saw how many posters responded that they have one too...

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:26 pm
Maya wrote:

OP specifically said that the umos haolam have created a "low-class image" around nose rings. No such image exists for necklaces, bracelets, or diamond (finger) rings. This is not about chukas hagoyim, which has halachic parameters -- it is about not looking low class. In Israel there are many lovely, refined D"L women with nose rings and it is culturally expected, but in the US nose rings are like huge dangly hoops and hair colors that do not naturally occur in people -- they are not acceptable in a formal business setting so many believe that they are not acceptable for a bas yisrael.

Seriously, everyone, stop pretending that a nose ring isn't a huge statement in the mainstream American frum world, because it is.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 7:39 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
..in the US nose rings are like huge dangly hoops and hair colors that do not naturally occur in people -- ...

Yup nose ring, check, magenta hair check... Cool

babula

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 8:40 pm
The are clear plastic nose rings you can wear for those times when you don't want to look like you are wearing one. I have a pierced nose and love it. Most ppl like it on me including dh.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:10 am
Has op answered since her first post?

I always loved the way a second stud looks in one ear, and have wanted
to get one for so long. But I'm so chicken. Maybe now I will Smile

I commend u OP for getting one. I also think a small refined nose piercing can look quite beautiful on someone,
although I am honestly really surprised to see how many women here have one. I, personally, have never seen one on a frum woman; where I live or even when traveling outside of my country.
I live in Toronto btw.

Reminds me of the time when my SN son had a male shadow in grade 1. He had a very small nose peircing and the principal of the school was very
Upset about it. What a jerk - the principal, not my sons shadow, of course. Rolling Eyes I thought it was refined and very unnoticeable.

Unfortunately People in our community are so small minded and shallow.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:26 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
OP specifically said that the umos haolam have created a "low-class image" around nose rings. No such image exists for necklaces, bracelets, or diamond (finger) rings. This is not about chukas hagoyim, which has halachic parameters -- it is about not looking low class. In Israel there are many lovely, refined D"L women with nose rings and it is culturally expected, but in the US nose rings are like huge dangly hoops and hair colors that do not naturally occur in people -- they are not acceptable in a formal business setting so many believe that they are not acceptable for a bas yisrael.

Seriously, everyone, stop pretending that a nose ring isn't a huge statement in the mainstream American frum world, because it is.

I'm really being sincere about this, as I've heard this a lot--can you elaborate what that statement is?

I have seen a number of business professionals with tasteful, small nose studs.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:33 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Yup nose ring, check, magenta hair check... Cool

what is magenta hair?
tx

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:45 am
amother wrote:
Has op answered since her first post?

I always loved the way a second stud looks in one ear, and have wanted
to get one for so long. But I'm so chicken. Maybe now I will Smile

I commend u OP for getting one. I also think a small refined nose piercing can look quite beautiful on someone,
although I am honestly really surprised to see how many women here have one. I, personally, have never seen one on a frum woman; where I live or even when traveling outside of my country.
I live in Toronto btw.

Reminds me of the time when my SN son had a male shadow in grade 1. He had a very small nose peircing and the principal of the school was very
Upset about it. What a jerk - the principal, not my sons shadow, of course. Rolling Eyes I thought it was refined and very unnoticeable.

Unfortunately People in our community are so small minded and shallow.

And now Smile ... what is SN? (SN son)
and... male shadow?
personally I thought male shadow was that darker brown color that appears on teen boys above the upper lip before they start growing a beard. but, your son in grade 1 Smile ...

sorry, I'm trying to learn all the abreviations I see in computer lingo.
AFTOW (as for the other words - just made it up now Wink) probably due to me being British so don't understand all American English Smile

am slowly learning thanks to the imamothers that respond when I ask - what is ..... ?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:51 am
SN - special needs.
Male shadow - a person of the male gender who shadows her special needs son in school.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
And now Smile ... what is SN? (SN son)
and... male shadow?
personally I thought male shadow was that darker brown color that appears on teen boys above the upper lip before they start growing a beard. but, your son in grade 1 Smile ...

sorry, I'm trying to learn all the abreviations I see in computer lingo.
AFTOW (as for the other words - just made it up now Wink) probably due to me being British so don't understand all American English Smile

am slowly learning thanks to the imamothers that respond when I ask - what is ..... ?

SN= special needs
A male shadow is just that- a shadow (someone who follows a child around and helps or assists accordingly) who is male.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:01 am
SpottedBanana wrote:

I reread the op 3 times and nowhere did she say what you claim she said. Not at all.

In my American city, very frum women have nose piercings. And I know for a fact that this exists in other cities as well. It's not a statement of anything other than the fact that you find nose piercings pretty. I don't know where you live, but I'm guessing it's a lot more insulated then where I live. That doesn't negate the from th insulated then where I live. That doesn't negate the frumness of the women who support this style.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:06 am
As far as the terms "fine", "refined" "low class" - never in my life before I became frum did I hear people referring to other people with these terms which is really just a thinly veiled put down. It's far as I'm concerned, there's nothing fine or refined about a person who uses these terms and implication that other people are not such.

A rebbitzen especially who uses these terms, as far as I'm concerned, it's not somebody to look up to. Especially since she puts other yidden down.

And, the Diamond engagement ring example is perfect. Its not jewish. We took it from the "umos haolam".

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics