Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Arizona in February

sleepless

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:48 pm
I would like to go to Arizona in February. Where to stay, Phoenix or Scottsdale? What are interesting things to do there?
Thanks!

sleepless

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:16 am
Anyone?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:42 am
How long will you be there?

DH and I went to Arizona a few years ago without the kids and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. We figured it was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity so we moved around a bit to see as much as possible in just over a week.

We landed in Phoenix and rented a car and drove straight to Sedona. There's no kosher food there but we brought stuff with us from home. We did the jeep tour and other typical tourist stuff there one day. The next day we drove to the Grand Canyon, stopping along the way to see some other cool natural sites or ruins. Then we drove back down to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for a few days.

We chose to stay in Scottsdale because it was easier for Shabbos. The Chabad there is very welcoming and their website offers discount rates for local hotels. There were a few kosher restaurants when we were there, but you'd have to check out what's there now. DH and I particularly enjoyed a vegan place and there was a fleishig place we were able to order food from for Shabbos.
http://www.chabadofscottsdale......12867

I don't remember everything we did but we definitely enjoyed the Botanical Gardens, the Heard Museum, and a tour of Taliesen West. We also took a day trip through the Superstition Mountains.

After a few days in Phoenix we headed further south to Tuscon for a couple of days, stopping at more sites along the way including Biosphere 2. There's a tiny Jewish museum in Tuscon in an old shul that shows the history of Jewish life in the area. Some must see places are the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Sabino Canyon.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:54 am
Oh, I forgot to mention that depending on where you go you should pack for a variety of temperatures. The Grand Canyon can be quite cold in the winter but Tuscon was in the 90s when we were there. Phoenix was slightly more temperate and Sedona was nice during the day and cool at night.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:20 am
How long will you be there? Are you bringing kids, and if so, what ages? What types of activities are you interested in doing? Sedona is gorgeous and is 2 hours north of Phoenix. Another 2 hours north of Sedona is the Grand Canyon, which is one of the most magnificent sites in the US, and will also be much less crowded in February than in the summer.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:24 am
I'll be in Sedona next week for a few days with my teenage son. We plan to do a star gazing tour one night. Spend one day at the Grand Canyon and we will do the jeep tour and a few of the hikes to the vortexes.

sleepless

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:45 am
Thanks for the replies. It's very helpful.
Going for 5 days without kids

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:12 pm
Yum! DH and I where their last year. Best vaca ever!
It’s not as hot as Florida but still beautiful.
We stayed in Phoenix- near kosher food etc and took a one day bus tour to the Grand Canyon (from Groupon) and Sedona.
We stayed at a beautiful resort Hilton sqaw.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics