Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
A Robot That Writes The Entire Sefer Torah.

shlumzmum

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 8:27 pm
Pinned News Nov. 1 2007

New York - Robots and computers have been eliminating human jobs at what some might consider an alarming rate, but the sacred work of Torah scribes seems like something only humans could do.

A group in Germany, however, has created an industrial robot that has been programmed to write the entire Bible,on a scroll, using calligraphic lines similar to a font common in the 15th century.

“Bios [Bible]” is an installation project by Robotlab, a group of artists that examines the relationship between humans and machines and envisions the roles that robots will play in the future. This recent work explores the ways in which technology and science intersect with faith and religion.

“The title ‘bios’ [and] the writing on rolls of paper are inspired by the Torah,” Robotlab artist Jan Zappe wrote in an e-mail to The Shmooze. “The project picks up the central theme of spiritual texts to focus on the culture of printing and writing.” [forward]

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 10:13 pm
I doubt it's considered kosher ...

Atali

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 10:24 pm
Quote:
I doubt it's considered kosher ...

A sefer Torah has to be written l'shem mitzvah, and a machine can't have kavana

Tefila

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:38 pm
Yikes we are truly b/coming alien shock
Soon they will be writing mezuzos and tefillin, kashering kitchens..................................

brooklyn

Post Mon, Nov 05 2007, 8:04 am
Why is it different than machine shmura matzah? Doesn't that have to be l'shaim mitzvah as well. Many hold that they are preferable to hand made.

Atali

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 4:11 am
Quote:
Why is it different than machine shmura matzah? Doesn't that have to be l'shaim mitzvah as well. Many hold that they are preferable to hand made.

I was actually considering bringing this exact example up, but avoided it. Since you mentioned it, however, I will say that you are partially right, matzah for the seder must be made l'shem mitzvah, but matzah for other nights doesn't have to be.

I have learned that therefore it is questionable to use machine matzah for the seder, and many people who normally use machine matzah are makpid to use handmade matzah (no requirement that it is shmura) for the seder

Help Shooting Arrow
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions