Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Mark Zuckerberg Testifies Before Congress

Fox

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:56 pm
Is anyone else getting as much comedy value out of this as I am?

Last night I was listening to highlights of the Senate hearings, and I thought, Wow! Problem solved! Yeshiva guys don't need to know English -- they could all become Senators. These folks do appear to know English, but it's clearly not doing them any good. I gotta float this idea on Imamother! Then I remembered that there are only two Senators from each state, so I guess that's not a plan.

Seriously, it was just luck that none of the Senators referred to it as "the Facebook," and I can see why each Senator had only five minutes for questions. Another minute would have had some of them reaching for their phones, saying, "Young man, do you know how to get to this Facebook thing my interns keep talking about?"

Columnist Robby Soave characterized the whole thing as, "Mark Zuckerberg is now living out every young person's worst nightmare: trying to explain how tech stuff works to the nation's elderly."

Of course, some fairly terrifying stuff emerged, including the fact that Facebook is developing AI to detect and suppress "hate speech" -- which they can't define.

But it was one of the first occasions of true bipartisanship in a long while, when Senators from both sides of the aisle raced to outdo one another in displays of ignorance and sheer out-of-it-ness.

Today it's the House's turn to spank Zuckerberg, and seeing as how they're so much younger and hipper, they're giving him a harder time.

I only regret that no one put Diamond and Silk in the front row for these hearings. They are the African-American sisters who are over-the-top Trump supporters and who were recently booted from Facebook for being a "threat to the community" (they were finally reinstated after lots of publicity). Their videos and appearances are done in the call-and-response style of AA churches, with one sister "preaching" and the other "affirming" through verbal and non-verbal means.

Now that would have been a show!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 2:14 pm
Just yesterday, a friend of mine got a post deleted and her account locked for 24 hours, along with a vague message about "community standards".

She posted something Zionist, but nothing hateful. All it takes is a bunch of internet warriors to get together and decide to hit the "report" button a bunch of times.

Fox

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:17 pm
For anyone having trouble imagining Diamond and Silk taking on Mark Zuckerberg, or Vladimir Putin, for that matter, check out the following starting at around the 2:41 mark:

Water Stones

Post Wed, Apr 11 2018, 7:36 pm
I like those women.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics