Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Assistant teacher salary
1  2  Next

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:06 pm
What is the average salary for a full time(8-3:30) teaching assistant. I have an advanced degree in elementary ed and have taught in public school. Took off to raise the kids, don't want all the grunge work of teaching, but want the fun stuff- like actually teaching and working with kids. I found an ad for an assistant teacher- which looks great, but the salary was pretty much minimum wage( between $20000- $23000) for the year. Which is what I got paid 25 years ago when I first started teaching in public school! Is that really the normal range??? I spoke with the administrator and he asked me what I was looking for in pay... I have no clue- a million dollars??? Any thoughts...

Simple1

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:13 pm
I would assume the assistant gets paid less than the main teacher. It's often an entry level job, no experience necessary.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:36 pm
In Boro Park they make $1200-1700 no kidding with bus duty.okay?! Okay?!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
In Boro Park they make $1200-1700 no kidding with bus duty.okay?! Okay?!
wow, I would think NYC would get paid more.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:45 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I would assume the assistant gets paid less than the main teacher. It's often an entry level job, no experience necessary.
[quote]. True, guess I have been out of touch on what salaries are in education.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:00 pm
My Manhattan preschool also pays assistants 12-17k

bsy

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:24 pm
I got 15K about 5 years ago in a special education preschool. It was standard.

teachkids

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:40 pm
What you're being offered is what I got as a full day assistant when I started. It's generally not a job people hold onto for so long- it was more a filler or stepping stone.

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:47 pm
How is 20000 minimum wage?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:54 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
How is 20000 minimum wage?

Thats 10 an hour about right

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:55 pm
That is normal unfortunately. Most teaching assistants are kids 19-20 with no training or experience.

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 10:14 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Thats 10 an hour about right

Maybe I’m doing the math wrong . How many hours a week?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 10:19 pm
Thanks all!

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 10:46 pm
my husband is 44 with a masters and is a 1:1 aide at a charter school. $13 an hour, no summers, LESS than $20,000 a year. So...... I work---- without my income on his alone we'd likely qualify for food stamps-- -crazy.

He can earn 4 times the amount in certain other cities as a teacher, but there are reasons we're staying here and reasons we stayed here even after he lost his job as a teacher----- he has no teaching credential, just a masters, so getting a teaching job is difficult here.

Can you find a summer job to supplement?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 10:55 pm
Where I live, Baltimore, the schools pay approx $13000 - 15000/yr for a full time teaching assistant, so what you are being offered sounds great in comparison! Its really not a living wage...

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 12:01 am
No pain, no gain. You want a job that lets you have fun with kids without the grunt work of lead teaching, but you're not happy with the salary? Make a choice.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 12:08 am
Wow...Its actually less than min wage

40 x 10 x 50 is 20k a year

Min wage in NYC is 13 an hour

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 12:10 am
seeker wrote:
No pain, no gain. You want a job that lets you have fun with kids without the grunt work of lead teaching, but you're not happy with the salary? Make a choice.

You're kidding right? In every school I've worked at assistants do the bulk of the grunt work.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 12:11 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Wow...Its actually less than min wage

40 x 10 x 50 is 20k a year

Min wage in NYC is 13 an hour

I'm willing to bet your 20k assistant teacher is not working close to 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 12:14 am
amother wrote:
You're kidding right? In every school I've worked at assistants do the bulk of the grunt work.

I was quoting almost directly from the OP. Did you read it? "don't want all the grunge work of teaching, but want the fun stuff"

Assistants do the boring things like setting up and cleaning up arts and crafts, but the teacher bears the responsibility as well as the burdens of planning, administrative duties, parent communication, record-keeping, and on and on and on. When assistants talk about doing grunt work, they mean that the teachers look like they're having more fun while the assistants are making photocopies. I was an assistant for a year and hated it, but knew full well that I was getting off extremely easy on responsibilities, overtime work, and stress. That's one of the reasons I was in that job, and the same reason why I accepted the laughably small wage for that job.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics