Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Completely at a loss
1  2  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:15 am
I’ve been dieting and exercising for last few months and cannot lose weight. Doing high protein and low to no carbs. Staying under 1300 calories a day. I stopped my ppd and anxiety meds to see if that’s what’s doing it but nothing. Not even an ounce. I did blood work and all hormones and thyrode came back normal. No pcos, but sugar is a bit high. I’m working out 4 times a week with cardio, weights and strengthening.
Any ideas as to what’s going on? I’m ready to give up.

mandksima

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:20 am
Eating lots of healthy fats with your proteins and vegetables is very important and assists greatly in losing weight. Are you eating enough fats? If you are low carb, your sugar levels should remain pretty stable, what do you think they are high from?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:25 am
Sugar is high from being overweight and not eating properly for past couple of years. Family history of diabetes. So it completely freaked me out and went on this diet to lose weight and not end up like my mom. I eat avocado and use avocado oil or olive oil with my veggies.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:39 am
Hi, you mentioned high protein, low carb, but are you getting enough fiber from vegetables, fruit, and whole grains? Fiber sweeps fat out of the body as it keeps you regular. Many people believe protein is the most important component of a healthy diet and are quick to cut carbs, but Americans generally consume way more protein than the body actually needs. You mentioned that you are weight training, so you do need to eat adequate protein to build muscle, but you definitely need to get that fiber for fat loss.

Also, you didn't mention when you are exercising... The best way is right after breakfast. Eating first thing and then exercising kick starts the metabolism, and burns calories for a long time after you are actually finished. Another bit of exercise in the afternoon will help keep your metabolism revved through your last meal of the day. Be careful not to eat at night.

Dont give up, years of abusing your body can't always be remedied in a couple months, keep at it, increase fiber and increase exercise at the right points in your day.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:42 am
Are you really not eating carbs? You'd be surprised how much carbs are in a lot of food ..

If you stay under 20 grams of carbs a day, you will definitely lose weight. Maybe try an online Atkins calculator to double check how many carbs you are REALLY eating.

And to another above, fruits, vegetables and whole grains all contain carbs.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:58 am
I'll go in the opposite direction and say it sounds like you need to be eating MORE calories.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:59 am
I'm recently seeing a lot about intermittent fasting. It's supposedly good for weight loss as well as overall health. I am confused about it because it contradicts traditional advice which encourages breakfast and eating every few hours.

Maybe others who know more can advise.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
I'll go in the opposite direction and say it sounds like you need to be eating MORE calories.

If she's on a low carb diet then she should get those calories from fat.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:38 am
I exercise in the afternoon or evening 4 times a week. I eat Greek yogurt and fruit with coffee for breakfast, protein shake then lunch is protein like fish or grilled chicken with a huge salad and little lite dressing. Then fruit and protein shake (100 cal) then dinner protein again with huge serving of veggies . That’s it. Sometimes I’ll have a 100 cal skinny popcorn after dinner. I don’t drink lots of water. But still should be this hard

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:45 am
Sounds like you are doing everything right!
Especially with a history of diabetes r"L it is crucial to make sure you are not getting any sugar or sweeteners even natural like honey or even a little bit as some people are insulin resistant. Also, have you tried cutting out dairy? Making sure you are not having too much fruit? Those things can make a huge difference even more than portion control or calorie counting. And yes eat good fats like coconut butter coconut oil avocados lots of protein. Some people can eat nuts too. Have you ever worked with a nutritionist that works off your current bloodwork? They can find the personal key for you. With this much hard work you should be able to make it applied properly!
Also, popcorn, some people can't have any corn or simple carbs which turn to sugar or can be a problem for gluten resistant even tho doesn't have frank gluten.
Not easy, I feel for you.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:48 am
I went to a nutritionist but she was also confused as to what’s going on. That’s why she sent me for blood work. I’m going to follow up with an endocrinologist to see if what’s going on. Seems to be my only option. It’s just so frustrating to see the number stay the same on the scale after working so hard

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:49 am
Id also try going hard core and instead of light dressing (whats in it?) I'd use real foods to dress it like lemon, olive oil, spices, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar etc.
How long have you been doing this?
Sounds like just needs a tweaking and you'll see the lbs and your blood sugar count drop off IY"H.
Hang in there!
Also many people are gluten resistant or sensitive and can't have grains.
Are you eating only fresh fruits that are low glycemic like apples and berries? High glycemic fruits or too much fruit can be the culprit.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:51 am
You CAN lose weight. With this type of dedication and hard work.
Its finding your personal key. Bloodwork nutritionist can point to the issue.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
I exercise in the afternoon or evening 4 times a week. I eat Greek yogurt and fruit with coffee for breakfast, protein shake then lunch is protein like fish or grilled chicken with a huge salad and little lite dressing. Then fruit and protein shake (100 cal) then dinner protein again with huge serving of veggies . That’s it. Sometimes I’ll have a 100 cal skinny popcorn after dinner. I don’t drink lots of water. But still should be this hard

If you are on a low carb diet, then you are eating too much carbs. The diet you just described is not low carb.

You have to keep your carb intake below 20 grams a day (for most people) in order to lose weight.

Greek yogurt is out, fruit and protein shakes are out, popcorn is out, and it sounds as if you need to eat less vegetables as well.

If you want to really lose weight, check out the Atkins or ketogenic diets, or any version of that. Read up on either one of those diets, or check in with someone who's done it. I think there's a whatsapp kosher group for keto.

If you want to lose weight while still eating carbs, then you need a different diet. A nutritionist would then be your best bet.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
I went to a nutritionist but she was also confused as to what’s going on. That’s why she sent me for blood work. I’m going to follow up with an endocrinologist to see if what’s going on. Seems to be my only option. It’s just so frustrating to see the number stay the same on the scale after working so hard

Maybe ask him/her about Metformin.[b]

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:56 am
Here's a link for the amount of carbs in each food:

https://denversdietdoctor.com/.....r.pdf

Look at the net carb column. Also check the serving size - some of the serving sizes listed are TINY.

Again, you MUST keep your carbs under 20 grams a day in order to lose weight. Everyone loses on this diet, as long as you do it right. EVERYONE.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 10:59 am
And you said you are not drinking enough water.

WATER WATER WATER! It can flush out so much and help so much.

Also many advise squeezing a lemon into a glass of water and drinking it in the morning first thing. And a teaspoonful of "apple cider vinegar with the mother". There are kosher brands.

Hatzlocha

thanks

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:04 am
What kind of protein shake? Some are loaded with sugar.

gamanit

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:07 am
I no longer believe in dieting for weight loss. Eat healthy, keep active and whatever happens happens. I killed my metabolism with too much dieting and it did more harm than good. Just follow a healthy lifestyle and throw out the scale.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:13 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Here's a link for the amount of carbs in each food:

https://denversdietdoctor.com/.....r.pdf

Look at the net carb column. Also check the serving size - some of the serving sizes listed are TINY.

Again, you MUST keep your carbs under 20 grams a day in order to lose weight. Everyone loses on this diet, as long as you do it right. EVERYONE.

I thought that low/no carb, although a very popular way to lose weight is not the only way. The main thing is a calorie deficit. And refined carbs should be avoided. Am I wrong? Keto and extreme carb reduction is controversial and may not be so healthy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise