Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Calling all Australian residents
Previous  1  2

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 9:51 pm
tf wrote:
No wonder there's no heating. You never get to feel what reeeally cold means. In NY we get to almost zero degrees Fahrenheit. You better believe we have heat. How hot does it get in the summer? We're having 90 degrees Fahrenheit think week with humidity which makes it feel over 100.

I have lived in places that get to freezing, but I must say that this feels colder indoors just because we do not have heating and the house is designed to retain the cold. I don't think it's something you can understand until you live in it, but imagine if the inside of your house was low 40s and you did not have heat. We just need multiple layers, and I actually have been wearing gloves to sleep this week. Some of our family does have heat, so it's not everyone.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 6:43 am
amother wrote:
Do u live in Melbourne? Just curious bc it really doesn't get so so hot there?

Yes I do.
It can get very hot here!

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 6:46 am
amother wrote:
I have lived in places that get to freezing, but I must say that this feels colder indoors just because we do not have heating and the house is designed to retain the cold. I don't think it's something you can understand until you live in it, but imagine if the inside of your house was low 40s and you did not have heat. We just need multiple layers, and I actually have been wearing gloves to sleep this week. Some of our family does have heat, so it's not everyone.

Are you living there? Or just there temporarily?
Why don't you get some oil heaters? They can be very effective.

I've only been to Perth once for a shabbos, it's a beautiful place!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 7:36 am
Another Melbournian. We get very hot temperatures in the summer . Much hotter than New Yorkers even dream of . 8 years ago we had a high of 47c (114F) after weeks of 43-45c.
We do are are currently cold in winter but no where near snow or ice temperature.
For a fun Sunday we can drive 2-3hours to the mountains for snow (which often has a snow machine helping make more snow).
Summer is Dec-Feb. school holidays or vacation for Americans are 6 weeks in the summer & 2 weeks between each school term.
It’s really great to have summer break over Xmas & New Year as it enables the parents to spend a part of summer with our kids . Most businesses are closed from Xmas till after new Year.
We do not have a summer camp mentality. Camp (if your kids want to go) is a week or max 3. Depending on age. But many don’t go & spend holidays with their family.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:08 am
Interesting it definitely gets hot in Melbourne, (I've lived in Melbourne for 20 years now I live in NY) . But honestly it's much hotter in NY. Put aside the the actual temperature it's the humidity in NY. Is a whole different level of heat here

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
Interesting it definitely gets hot in Melbourne, (I've lived in Melbourne for 20 years now I live in NY) . But honestly it's much hotter in NY. Put aside the the actual temperature it's the humidity in NY. Is a whole different level of heat here

Humidity or not 42-47c is hot

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
No snow, but cold. We all have heating Wink
There are skiing resorts and snow in the mountains a few hours drive away.
But most of Australia does not see snow.

rainbow dash wrote:
I live in brisbane and never saw snow until I moved to Israel. Also, not many people know of brisbane as most know of Sydney and Melbourne.

It's also winter by us now. We had winter vacation recently and where we went there was a lot of grass. Where we live there's barely any. if you woke up early enough, like some of my kids, you saw the grass was white. It "snowed" here about 10-11 years ago and they said it was the first time in 70 years, but it was more like flurries. It snows in the south though. My kids know what actual snow looks like though because they've been to NY in the winter.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 06 2018, 11:32 am
amother wrote:

I totally disagree and have lived in both places extensively. New York heat does not begin to rival Melbourne heat.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics