Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
All fridge or side by side?
1  2  Next

What kind of fridge do you have and do you like it?
All fridge, and I love it  
 37%  [ 16 ]
All fridge, and it doesn't fit that much  
 9%  [ 4 ]
Side by side, and I love it  
 13%  [ 6 ]
Side by side, and it doesn't fit that much  
 39%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 43

iluvy

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:11 am
Do you have a counter-depth all fridge (a full-sized fridge without a freezer) and all freezer (full-sized freezer without a fridge)?

Do you feel like it holds a ton and adds to your quality of life?

Trying to decide what to get for a new kitchen. The all/all combo is a lot more $. I cook and bake a lot and hate stuffing pans on top of each other and taking everything out to find something in back.

My other option is a side-by-side. I have tried all other fridge styles (freezer on top, freezer on bottom, french doors) and hate them all. Do you have a side-by-side and feel like it holds everything you need?

Sweet as Pie

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:15 am
Nope. I hate my side by side. Not much room at all for bigger items. It’s a massive puzzle before every yt. Just this month before Rosh Hashana we got a chest freezer to help out with space

agreer

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:19 am
I have side by side and I find it small. I can't fit a big soup pot if I want to make soup at night and skim it the next day. That's annoying. (I can't fit it because only the top shelf is tall enough, but that's where I keep my milk, water pitcher, and juices that won't fit on another shelf and can't fit in the door.)

I think all and all is worth it if you cook and bake a lot. I do have a separate freezer which I love but find my fridge so tiny.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:19 am
my mom hated her side by side. was never enough room in the fridge or freezer. think tiny shelves where big pans in freezer dont fit onto a shelf before yom tov. New kitchen she got counter depth full both. Not enough space she just added chest freezer for additional space. I think full fits in more than side by side but being that its not so deep...looks like more space but doesn't hold so much

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:21 am
full freezer get largest not counter depth. doesn't havta to be part of kitchen cabinets.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:31 am
Side by sides don't give good storage. The compartments are too narrow. If you have room for an all-fridge and all-freezer, the combined storage area is about 38 cubic feet. And they're wide. If you have the room and the budget, for sure I would recommend them over a side by side.

In my work as a residential and kitchen designer I get requests for the Frigidaire Twins quite often in large kitchens. By the way, if you have more space than money, a poor man's substitute for the Twins is to simply put 2 standard fridge freezers next to each other.

iluvy

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:44 am
Thank you all. You confirmed my fears about the side-by-side Sad It happens to be the only kind of fridge I haven't had, so the only one I don't have personal experience of hating.

RubberDucky, I'm very intrigued by the "poor man's option." What kind of fridge do people usually double? The problem is that even if I didn't need more space (I can really put a cheap freezer/fridge in the basement), the space in typical fridges is always so inaccessible. If the freezer's on top, you have to bend down to access the fridge. If the freezer's on bottom, it's on a sliding track that gets stuck and never closes properly. If it's side by side, everything is too narrow. I don't know if doubling a bad option would really help me.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:47 am
She mean a full fridge & full freezer next tzomeach other instead of the more fancy expensive option of just that just with one frane so looks nicer

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:48 am
typos. to each other. frame.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:51 am
iluvy wrote:
What kind of fridge do people usually double?

A top freezer because it's generally the least expensive. Ergonomically I think bottom freezers are better but the price difference between bottom freezers and the Twins isn't as big.

From your description of your needs, I think you'd be very happy with the Twins.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 6:42 am
I have a fridge whose bottom part is a freezer. I prefer the opposite.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 11:30 am
Spend the $$ This is not the place to skimp!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:12 pm
I don't see an option for what I have. I have two of the armoire style fridges with freezer drawer on bottom. And I love them. Freezer holds a lot more than you would think by looking at it and fridge has nice wide spaces to hold large platters and baking dishes. I hated my old side by side. Nothing ever fit.

iluvy

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 1:37 pm
RubberDucky, thanks for the professional opinion! It's good to hear that people do like the all/all setup. I was worried that after the big splurge I still wouldn't feel like I have much fridge space because it's counter depth.

MiracleMama, I didn't include the "armoire" option because I have it now and don't like it. Whatever I'm looking for is always on the side that isn't open, and the freezer never closes properly. That being said, my grandmother does have this kind from a different brand (Fisher & Paykel) and it seems to be much more usable.

While we're all here, what do you think about a third sink for pareve? Life-changing or nice-but-not-necessary?

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 2:19 pm
I have the frigidaire standalone fridge and standalone freezer connected with a frame and I love it- forget about space which it definitely has more of- it's super accessible

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 2:20 pm
Regarding third sink- it's nice but I find netilas yedayim or washing sink much more importAnt.
It's gross to was the hands in a sink with dishes inside etc.

tf

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 5:03 pm
Agreer, I agree with you mostly, except that the shelves are adjustable so you ccan turn any shelf into a tall one.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 10:00 am
I have a fridge on top, freezer on the bottom. It works well for a couple or small family.

I also recently bought a used chest freezer, because I like to shop bargains, cook in batches, and meal plan in advance. I've only had it for 2 months, and I've already broken even on what I've paid for it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 3:29 pm
I have a fridge on bottom and freezer on top, and I'm happy with it space-wise.

2 relatives have the counter-depth fridge and freezer. One is happy with it but she doesn't bake much. The other one (who thought this would help her get rid of her "extra storage freezer") is really disappointed because of the shallowness. She finds she now has less freezer space and has a hard time maneuvering big and bulky stuff in it, such as bags of challah. Her fridge space total is the same because now it's shallower. The amount of space the counter-depth fridge and freezer takes up in her kitchen was not worth it for her. She would have preferred a regular set-up of top freezer/bottom fridge PLUS her storage freezer right there in the kitchen, instead of some inaccessible space such as upstairs in the laundry room or downstairs in the garage.

So if you're used to having the extra freezer space that comes with that full-sized freezer - that's NOT counter depth - this option will not be enough space for you. IOW the fact that they're counter-depth means that you're not having double the space you had till now.

tf

Post Sun, Oct 07 2018, 3:39 pm
What's counter-depth fridge and freezer? Aren't all fridge and freezers counter depth? Is it confused with counter height?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen