Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ridiculous rules
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:15 pm
Does your childs school have any rules you think don't make sense?Or are just plain crazy or controlling? I'm having some issues with this, and was wondering if others do too.
I will post the rules that bother me (and dc) depending on responses. Really don't want to get bashed.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:22 pm
I wish my kids school had more rules, actually. But I'm referring to classroom rules/ discipline. The school definitely doesn't have any rules that I would consider unreasonable, BH.

boots

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:01 pm
The rules in all my kids schools are pretty reasonable and I wish all parents actually followed them.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:15 pm
I agree! The rules are so restrictive and seem to separate and create an us vs them mentality than do any actual good. I’d love to know the annoying rules your school has- wondering if they’re similar to our school Can't Believe It

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:20 pm
Well the other day my DS 8 came home saying the menahel "measured" his yarmulka and it's too small. Mind you he wears a huge black velvet yarmulke (size 5) . He's got a weird shaped head and the menahel wants it covered from one end to the other which is virtually impossible unless he wears three sizes bigger than my DH.... so far I am ignoring this nonsensical request.
It's also not a "school" rule. This guy has minhagim that don't jive with the schools hashkafos and he is imposing his own minhagim and chumros on the parent body and students.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
Does your childs school have any rules you think don't make sense?Or are just plain crazy or controlling? I'm having some issues with this, and was wondering if others do too.
I will post the rules that bother me (and dc) depending on responses. Really don't want to get bashed.

DD was sent out of the school building because her ponytail was too high up Twisted Evil

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:

no-bh.

simba

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:26 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Well the other day my DS 8 came home saying the menahel "measured" his yarmulka and it's too small. Mind you he wears a huge black velvet yarmulke (size 5) . He's got a weird shaped head and the menahel wants it covered from one end to the other which is virtually impossible unless he wears three sizes bigger than my DH.... so far I am ignoring this nonsensical request.
It's also not a "school" rule. This guy has minhagim that don't jive with the schools hashkafos and he is imposing his own minhagim and chumros on the parent body and students.

Banging head
I would be really bothered by such stupidity.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:47 pm
Get togethers - if more than 8 classmates must have school permission. ( Highschool girls)

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:55 pm
Amother smokey, in my times we also had this rule in high school.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
Get togethers - if more than 8 classmates must have school permission. ( Highschool girls)

What exactly is this teaching our girls?!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:

Getting them into the habit of reporting to an authority. (Like the dayan for when they want to do bc).

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:25 pm
I'm still struggling to understand the no leggings rule in my dd's school. They are to my mind warm thick underwear. Worn with ankle boots, nothing is exposed and there is no indication whatsoever that they are footless.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:

That is horrifying.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:39 pm
sequoia wrote:
That is horrifying.

+1

rgr

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:

Sounds pretty Umbridge-ish Twisted Evil

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:47 pm
I looked at a school for my boys where IN THE PARENT HANDBOOK it had a dress code for the mothers - when in the school and when NOT in the school. AND most horrifyingly, it said IN THE HANDBOOK (can you tell that I'm enraged by this??) to make sure that you're always tznius because the menahel doesn't want to hear from another parent at the kosher supermarket (that was named) that you weren't tznius and that would put him in a bad position of having to speak to you!!!!

So, please be tznius so all of these people don't have to be over on the issur of loshon hora and unwanted tochacha.

The school seemed fine besides for that but that made me so angry. I always look up school handbooks, because it tells a lot about a school's expectations. The tznius rules I (mostly) follow - it wasn't the rules, it was the delivery and the loshon hora aspect. My husband did not understand why it made me sooo angry.

We don't send there Smile

jewishmommy1

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:53 pm
amother wrote:

I imagine the goal is to prevent parties that exclude the "uncool" group of kids in the class.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:07 pm
dd in elementary school has a no leggings rule. I ignore it. She hates tights and needs warmth.

DD in high school. Dress code. Uniform.

You can wear a shirt under the uniform shirt, but it can't be seen. ie: if wearing a shell, it cannot be seen-must be buttoned up to the tznius button.

Sleeves have to be down, not rolled up and buttoned at the cuff.

Shirt MUST be tucked in. No leggings.Even if not noticeable.

And today, dd was told her hair wasn't good. It's mostly up, with a length of hair that doesn't fit in the bun and falls in her face a lot. She pushes it behind her ear. Not good enough.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:36 pm
rgr wrote:
Sounds pretty Umbridge-ish Twisted Evil

Don’t even get me started in that case.
Ridiculous rules:
No ankle boots
No getting together at pizza shops
No buns
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics