Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ridiculous rules
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

gamanit

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 1:46 pm
perquacky wrote:
This reminded me of a story dh told me from his high school days. His public school had a rule that shorts couldn't be worn. But he's a schvitzer--still is--and there was no way he was wearing long pants in a school without air conditioning.

So one day, he's at his locker in the hallway and the principal comes over and reminds him that shorts are not allowed. My oh-so-sarcastic husband says, "So what do you want me to do?"
"Take them off," the principal responds.
"Take them off? Are you sure?"
"Take them off now!"

Which my husband did. In the hallway. In front of other students.

Did I forget to mention he was going commando that day?

LOL Laugh Rolling Laughter

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 2:31 pm
About snacks in snack bags or ind yogurts, or fancy nosh & sweets, that's probably not to create jealousy among kids

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 2:34 pm
Lining up kids to be measured is beyond ridiculous!

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
fathers aren't allowed to wear (even white) t-shirts, that they aren't allowed to touch their beard

What's wrong with a man touching his beard?

hodeez

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 5:51 pm
DrMom wrote:

Touching=trimming in this case

happymom123

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 6:00 pm
DrMom wrote:

Touching is a euphemism for shaving, trimming etc

Metukah

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:00 pm
dankbar wrote:
About snacks in snack bags or ind yogurts, or fancy nosh & sweets, that's probably not to create jealousy among kids

I get the snack in snack bags and the nosh/sweets. But, I can't get the yoghurt or fruit pouch. It's healthy and not expensive. If the kids are jealous, their parents should get it for them. Some kids come to school with fancy cookies... As long as its in a snack bag it's OK? Doesn't make sense.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:18 pm
dankbar wrote:

This is one of those things I absolutely cannot understand. We need to teach our kids when they're young that some people have money and others don't, that some people can afford to buy things that others cannot afford. Maybe then we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we see today in frum society.

I grew up very poor, one of my parents was not alive and I learned this lesson very young. I am still poor, and I am teaching this to my kids too. I think this is one of the greatest things I can teach them to prepare them for adult life.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
This is one of those things I absolutely cannot understand. We need to teach our kids when they're young that some people have money and others don't, that some people can afford to buy things that others cannot afford. Maybe then we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we see today in frum society.

I grew up very poor, one of my parents was not alive and I learned this lesson very young. I am still poor, and I am teaching this to my kids too. I think this is one of the greatest things I can teach them to prepare them for adult life.

Good point

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:10 pm
I don’t have too many complaints about my kids’ schools rules. Maybe because the board of directors is made up of parents. Or maybe just not in comparison to the stories told here. When I was in high school, our hanhala decided at the beginning of one year that we all had to tuck in our shirts. Every single girl in the school firmly believed that tucking in our shirts made us look fat, and we all refused to follow it. No one ever mentioned the rule again. Disciplining the entire school was clearly not up their alley.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
I am the high school principal of the AMA thread. Looked through these lists and thankfully most are not rules that we have, so I'm not here to defend them.

I'm probably silly for joining this thread and should just let frustrated parents vent, but I do love hearing and learning from parents' perspective so I'll bite.....

Do you not see that it is important for schools to have attendance rules? Do you realize that many of the attendance rules are in place because of safety concerns? You want us to know where your daughters are at all times during school hours. You want us to have a system that notices if girls cut class or leave the building without permission. Sometimes our attendance system is the first to alert us to the fact that a student might be depressed, going out to the bathroom too often (eating disorder) or even in a dangerous place with herself (disappearances).....

Yeah, I don't think that most of the commenters here are most outraged at 'attendance rules'. Majority have a deep, valid problem with how 'Tznius' becomes the backdrop for severely s-xualizing young women by covering every part of their body with a 'rule'.

I'd love to hear a rationale for that.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 10:53 am
PinkFridge wrote:
No, I'm not saying I doubt you, or anyone who's posted so far. But it is something to bear in mind as we navigated our way through the wild wild interwebs.

Thank you PinkFridge. I was reading some of these stories looking for a voice of reason. I know schools make ridiculous rules. I hated them too. Some of the stories here though... I'm not saying anyone lied but maybe someone wasn't actually there when it happened and the story got mixed up in the retelling or something. The story about a male principal measuring girls was the one that really got me thinking. I've been through a few by type schools myself and with dd's. No male principals or teachers I ever heard of get this close to the girls. Some don't even look directly at the older ones. I remember finding that a little weird. Male principal measuring girls' hips sounds like something from a book I read but not from real life.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
Thank you PinkFridge. I was reading some of these stories looking for a voice of reason. I know schools make ridiculous rules. I hated them too. Some of the stories here though... I'm not saying anyone lied but maybe someone wasn't actually there when it happened and the story got mixed up in the retelling or something. The story about a male principal measuring girls was the one that really got me thinking. I've been through a few by type schools myself and with dd's. No male principals or teachers I ever heard of get this close to the girls. Some don't even look directly at the older ones. I remember finding that a little weird. Male principal measuring girls' hips sounds like something from a book I read but not from real life.
thanks. As a troubled student you would think I would have encountered something like this but I never did

dankbar

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 11:21 am
Doesnt mean that there aren't creeps in authority. Highly inappropriate but I'm not doubting ff that witnessed firsthand with her dgtr & sees the reprecussions

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:

If you are going to call me a liar, at least do it under your user name.

I confirmed the story with all of DD's friends. When I tried to bring it up with the hanalah, she blew me off and said "It's the rav's job to enforce the rules."

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 8:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you are going to call me a liar, at least do it under your user name.

I confirmed the story with all of DD's friends. When I tried to bring it up with the hanalah, she blew me off and said "It's the rav's job to enforce the rules."

This "rav" is clearly a pervert and s-xually abuses girls with perverted religious nonsense. I am so sorry your daughter was groped and violates by this disgusting man

sub

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 9:01 pm
amother wrote:
I was knassed with a $25 fee when menahel looked into auditorium, during major play,in camp, saw me chewing gum, among other friends, when one girl distributed to all of us. I was the only one punished. It was end of camp, had no money anymore, mom was in city....but he didn't bug off till he got the money.

Why is there a menahel in a girls camp? Scratching Head

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 9:05 pm
Our menahel made us remove our boots in front of him to check what thickness tights we are wearing underneath our boots.

Also came into our room in camp once, when we were in nightgowns....to enforce a bedtime we were fighting.

sequoia

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
Our menahel made us remove our boots in front of him to check what thickness tights we are wearing underneath our boots.

Also came into our room in camp once, when we were in nightgowns....to enforce a bedtime we were fighting.

This was the same person?

In school and in camp?

I really don’t understand any of this.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 9:14 pm
Yes same menahels both places
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics