Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Payless Social Experiment
1  2  Next

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 11:31 am

This is a good lesson for a lot of people in the frum community who think they must spend minimum $75 on a pair of shoes or else they are garbage and will ruin their kids' feet.

Although I must say it all seems very fake, I was more impressed when I read the story then after watching the video.

samantha87

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 11:45 am
I had a good laugh at the pretentious people saying the shoes were made of great materials and quality construction. I can rock $15 shoes, but I don't expect them to last more than a couple of seasons!

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 11:47 am
I happen to wear mostly Payless shoes because I'm a size 13 and they are one of the rare stores that carry that size. I always get compliments on my new shoes and boots and I'm usually asked where I got them. So yes, it's cheapy shoes , but I own many pairs in many styles so I change it up often and it helps keep them lasting longer. I usually wait until there are items on sale and I end up getting five different pairs for under $60

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 11:49 am
LOL LOL LOL

Did I spot Ben Shapiro among the guests?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 11:49 am
I don't think that payless shoes are good quality. I think the people were fooled, and this just shows you that many people don't know how to recognize quality merchandise. They rely on the label, which is often misleading - label does not necessarily mean quality.

I remember a couple of years ago, we had a Bar Mitzva in the family and I bought all 3 of my daughters (at the time they were 11, 8, and 1) pretty silvery sparkly skirts from The Children's Place, matched with pretty pink sweaters from the sales rack of a much more expensive store. They looked adorable on my girls, and I got tons of compliments. Some of my more designer-savvy relatives could not believe that the skirts were from TCP.

But quality they were not. The sparkly washed out of the skirts pretty quickly. However, they did the job for the Simcha and I got my money's worth.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 11:57 am
Sorry I don’t buy this.
You can’t mistake the cheapiness of Payless shoes....
The overpowering smell of faux leather, the shape of the shoes, even the sizing is usually inaccurate etc. Rolling Eyes

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:03 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't think that payless shoes are good quality. I think the people were fooled, and this just shows you that many people don't know how to recognize quality merchandise. They rely on the label, which is often misleading - label does not necessarily mean quality.

I remember a couple of years ago, we had a Bar Mitzva in the family and I bought all 3 of my daughters (at the time they were 11, 8, and 1) pretty silvery sparkly skirts from The Children's Place, matched with pretty pink sweaters from the sales rack of a much more expensive store. They looked adorable on my girls, and I got tons of compliments. Some of my more designer-savvy relatives could not believe that the skirts were from TCP.

But quality they were not. The sparkly washed out of the skirts pretty quickly. However, they did the job for the Simcha and I got my money's worth.

I had clothing from TCP that I was able to pass down through three dds. And I've bought clothing from Jewish stores for 10 x the price that didn't last one season. Same with shoes, we get cheap shoes all the time from Burlington or Marshalls or DSW. Some last, some don't, but at least I don't feel bad like when I buy Jewish, expensive shoes and they don't last one season.

I'll never forget when there was an ad from the local shoe stores in the Lakewood publications telling people not to let their kids play in their shoes, that they aren't meant for playing in. And I was blown away to think that all these people are spending $80-120 on shoes for their kids to keep in their closets.

A friend was recently showing me her 2 year old dd's shoes that she bought for her to wear, her "real" Shabbos shoes she saves for special occasions because they were so expensive and so delicate!!

You're right that a lot of people can't tell what is quality and so they buy expensive and think that it means something. Not only that, I know people who don't trust their own taste, they will only buy whatever the salesgirls tell them is cute.

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:05 pm
As others have posted, it just shows that many people are idiots including those who are "instagram" influensters or whoever they were.

There is no mistaking cheap shoe quality for better shoe quality. I don't think you need to spend $1000 for Louboutin shoes but quality shoes made of real leather look, feel and wear better and for many people are much more comfortable. Leather feels different than plastic.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:07 pm
I have cheap wedding Payless shoes that have lasted me for years, longer than friends who spent up to 100 on their very similar looking black pump. Then one of them tried it. She was hooked on the comfort, forget about the price! Now I tell everyone Comfort Predicitions from Payless - try them!

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
I have cheap wedding Payless shoes that have lasted me for years, longer than friends who spent up to 100 on their very similar looking black pump. Then one of them tried it. She was hooked on the comfort, forget about the price! Now I tell everyone Comfort Predicitions from Payless - try them!

For a few bucks maybe I will! Do you have a link?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:12 pm
Lol op, reminded me of this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXbrnJ6l4A

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry I don’t buy this.
You can’t mistake the cheapiness of Payless shoes....
The overpowering smell of faux leather, the shape of the shoes, even the sizing is usually inaccurate etc. Rolling Eyes

Agree. I think some people would fall for it. But I don't believe most would. Anyone in the industry certainly would know it before they even touched the shoes.

I like bargains as much as the next girl, but my mom taught me that shoes is not the place to skimp. Your feet carry your body, they deserve to be comfortable. I have never found Payless shoes to be at all comfortable.

keym

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:19 pm
I buy for myself almost exclusive Payless. Because I like having lots of different shoes but I don't really have the budget. So before sukkos, I spent $100 on 5 pairs instead of just 1.
But there is no way not to know. They feel junky, many are not waterproof, they smell different.
I really have a hard time believing that all these "fashion influencers" couldn't tell the difference. It just feels unbelievable to me.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
Lol op, reminded me of this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXbrnJ6l4A

That was great! I had a good laugh. It's incredible how gullible people can be.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
For a few bucks maybe I will! Do you have a link?

Round toe and I don't see the pointed toe now from this company. I hope they're not stopping its production. They carried them both in black, nude, and maybe red.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
Round toe and I don't see the pointed toe now from this company. I hope they're not stopping its production. They carried them both in black, nude, and maybe red.

Thanks! Looks like these are also sold out but I would’ve wanted black pointed toe anyway.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:

I love them. I have them in black patent , and grey crocodile. They are really comfortable. I've spend $175 on higher end pumps and can't wear them because they are so painful.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:45 pm
Perception is HUGE!

I'm in several professional photography groups, and over and over again, we see that perception influences clients.

Photographers spruce up their website, triple their pricing, and start booking MORE clients than when were cheaper, while the quality of their artwork and equipment remains the same.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 12:46 pm
There was a cheap streimel company, years ago, and they were not making nearly enough sales. A marketer advised them to charge MORE than the average streimel, without changing the product, and then they started selling far more units!

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 1:06 pm
Chayalle wrote:

P.S. You should never wash something sparkly because no matter the quality, that is a poor idea.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics