Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Does my asd 7 yr old need therapy

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:03 pm
Ds was diagnosed at age 6 by a neuropsychologist who then went on maternity leave.
hes Very high functioning (woulda bed aspergers if that was still a diagnosis)
He’s at the top of his class academically, has friends, and is in general is doing well.
There are some social peculiarities that are mostly overlooked by his peers (proximity issues, loud talking...) at home he is obsessed with tech items and can spend all evening listening to an audiobook (the same one) or playing with Alexa (the home robot)
He saw a psychologist briefly who thought if he’s doing well there’s no point seeing a professional. But I just wonder if there’s more I should be doing for him

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:12 pm
He doesn't necessarily need therapy. But you should consult with someone about what to keep an eye on because some issues can be very subtle. There must have been a reason you took him for a neuropsych evaluation, as well as a reason he received a diagnosis. Sometimes you have kids who look fine on the outside but are missing nuances of understanding that become more apparent later. So he may not necessarily need therapy now but get a good grasp of what his issues are and what you might see later on so you can be on top of whether he needs more help in the future.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:16 pm
I would do playdates and see if he is acting appropriate. Social issues are very common with kids that have Aspergers.

livinginisrael

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:24 pm
My ds diagnosed at 5 and he is almost 7 now. He is in a special ed school so he gets a lot of therapy social skills training etc there

flmommy

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:56 pm
Maybe a social skills playgroup would be helpful.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:29 pm
My experience with family members with Aspergers is that there will be periods that they need intense therapy to catch up and points they seem totally fine.
You probably don't NEED therapy right now, but it may be worth investing in therapy to help with the social skills before they become a real issue instead of waiting until he is frustrated by them.
However, if right now is a really tough time, you could get away with waiting, but recognize that you probably will need it at some point.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:34 pm
I would do social skills therapy or a group. Even if it isn't affecting him tremendously right now, he will probably need to learn the skills formally at some point in order to use them regularly. The older he gets, the more he will resist any kind of therapy- so doing it now is probably very wise.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
My experience with family members with Aspergers is that there will be periods that they need intense therapy to catch up and points they seem totally fine.
You probably don't NEED therapy right now, but it may be worth investing in therapy to help with the social skills before they become a real issue instead of waiting until he is frustrated by them.
However, if right now is a really tough time, you could get away with waiting, but recognize that you probably will need it at some point.

Good point about alternating between needing catch-up and staying caught up. Especially because kids can get satiated and stop benefiting from therapy if they have it constantly more than they need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)