Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
North Woodmere?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:12 pm
We are looking to move to somewhere in NY that's not too far from the city. Hubby and I are both from Brooklyn, and we do not want to live here anymore. We have been looking into N. Woodmere, but we dont know much about the place.
What's it like exactly? Age of community, what the community is like (gotta know if there are people like me!), ..... everything you know. Go!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 10:25 am
Bump

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 11:33 am
I live in the five towns but not North Woodmere. The general age range there is 20’s and thirties. It’s a mix of type but for the most part it’s a frum working crowd. Jpf as they call it on this site. It is the five towns but it’s one of the younger newer areas so it’s lower key then Lawrence and Cedarhurst.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 11:54 am
I live in the Five Towns (not N Woodmere). People refer to it as "Five Towns Light" (meaning not as materialistic). It is more affordable than other 5T neighborhoods, and probably a bit more modern (although more shules have been opening up). Rabbi Aryeh Leibowitz's shule is supposed to have a nice young crowd. If you/your husband work in NYC you would need a car (or a way) to get to the LIRR to commute (LIRR is pricey). Depending on the type of people you are, you might want to consider Inwood as well.

eagle

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 12:38 pm
Hi, I live in North Woodmere, you are more then welcome to contact me if you need any information. The crowd is pretty young, it's amazing to walk outside on Shabbos afternoon, or go to the park. I should say though that home prices have skyrocketed and may not be affordable anymore for most.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
I live in the five towns but not North Woodmere. The general age range there is 20’s and thirties. It’s a mix of type but for the most part it’s a frum working crowd. Jpf as they call it on this site. It is the five towns but it’s one of the younger newer areas so it’s lower key then Lawrence and Cedarhurst.

Thanks! What's JPF?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! What's JPF?

Not yeshivish and not MO.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:26 pm
Hi! We moved to NW over 10 years ago. We chose the neighborhood because it seemed like a smaller OOT community with in town amenities (schools, mikvahs, kosher supermarkets). At the time, the young families were mostly davening in Rabbi Lebowitz's basement and everyone knew each other and were very welcoming of newcomers. Now the community has grown by leaps and bounds and there are a few more shuls and it's much harder to "break in" and make friends because there are just so many people. When we moved in we were the new family for months and everyone knew who we were on sight and introduced themselves and invited us for meals. Now there are so many new families moving in at a time that it's impossible to keep up. There is a large contingent from Brooklyn though, so you may easily find some friends to introduce you around.

By now the shuls have kind of self-segregated although there are overlaps. The families who daven at the Young Israel tend to be a little more modern and send their kids to coed schools. The families who daven at KBH (R. Witkin) tend to be more yeshivish and send to right wing schools and BKNW (R. Lebowitz) is more middle of the road RWMO/JPF and send to a mix of schools. There are a couple of other minyanim that have sprung up but I don't know as much about them.

How old are your kids? What kind of school(s) are you looking for? The school's out here are getting crowded, not to the extent of Lakewood, but it's harder than it used to be to get your kids into school. What's your budget for a house? The prices here are going up with the demand.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you post them here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating