Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Help please!!! (rash from deodorant)
1  2  Next

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 4:17 pm
My 14 year old ds has sensitive skin and gets a rash from most deodorant.he has been using Tom's but it doesn't seem to be effective enough. Anyone have a situation like this? What did you do?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 4:36 pm
Talk to his doctor about a prescription for medicated deodorant for sensitive skin.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 4:44 pm
Try Eucerin Sensitive Skin Deodorant or Dove Sensitive

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 4:51 pm
I find most underarm products irritating, and my dermatologist had no good suggestions. Native brand deodorant is the best of the bunch, IME, but it's costly. Even less irritating is using witch hazel wipes to stop odor, and baby corn starch powder to stop chafing. I'm not sure if a single application of witch hazel will get a teenage boy through the day, though.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:07 pm
I also get irritated from deodorants. When I started out with the regular brands my skin was so irritated that it looked raw! I switched to natural brands like Shaklee and Meloleuca, used it for years. Lately I use degree and I have no problem with it. I can't say for sure but I think it's aluminum that is the culprit.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:46 pm
I get itchy from Toms too. This one works for me. https://www.amazon.com/Alvera-.....?th=1

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 6:34 pm
Just a warning: Please do not use a topical steroid to clear up the rash. That is one area of the body that cannot tolerate steroid use and can become severely damaged.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 6:41 pm
I'm very sensitive to most deodorants. "Caraline" brand is soft anough for me. It's an Israeli company. Sold in Stores in NY.

tf

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:57 pm
Yes. I'm sensitive to ALL deodorant and figured it out to be a result of aluminum as the main ingredient. I NEVER use deodorant as a result. I used to itch away like crazy. Since I use regular bar soap n water as often as needed I'm fine. No smell anymore either. I'm so grateful to Hashem for putting this idea into my head, and I don't care what anyone else says when I mention that I never use deodorant. I ask them "does it smell?" It never does, so this is what I stay with.

piece

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:02 pm
my son is also very sensitive; I have been using brand name "schmidt" & BH he is fine with it.

yksraya

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:05 pm
tf wrote:
Yes. I'm sensitive to ALL deodorant and figured it out to be a result of aluminum as the main ingredient. I NEVER use deodorant as a result. I used to itch away like crazy. Since I use regular bar soap n water as often as needed I'm fine. No smell anymore either. I'm so grateful to Hashem for putting this idea into my head, and I don't care what anyone else says when I mention that I never use deodorant. I ask them "does it smell?" It never does, so this is what I stay with.

What if no one will tell you upfront that yes there is a bad odor?

Sorry for my bluntness, but soap and water just aint enough.

I'm highly sensitive to unpleasant odors to a point where I almost faint.

As a btw, dd is also very sensitive to deodorant and we keep finding sensitive ones she can use. There are so many options out there.

The main issue she has is with the spray ones she uses shabbos. Recently bought her a very simple plain unscented one. She hasn't complained abt it yet bh.

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:15 pm
Shaklee deodorant cream

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 6:27 am
yksraya wrote:

The main issue she has is with the spray ones she uses shabbos. Recently bought her a very simple plain unscented one. She hasn't complained abt it yet bh.

Roll on can be used on Shabbos too. I've had issues with spray in general, and unscented roll on had been ok for me, ba"h.

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 7:43 am
tf wrote:

There are aluminum-free deodorants.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 8:26 am
I also used to be sensitive as a teen, and I found that I had to use roll-ons or solids, not spray - somehow those were less irritating. B"H I outgrew this sensitivity. I always start my teens out on non-sprays, for this reason. I still remember the huge, painful blisters I got the first time I tried a spray as a young girl.

For those who think they don't need deoderant, consider that you don't smell yourself the way others do. My DD told me there was a girl in her high school who had obvious body odor, and she would sit near DD on the school bus...by the time she got to school, DD felt so nauseous she was sick....she learned to always sit in a seat already occupied by one person to avoid this.

cm

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:00 am
Clarification: Aluminum is found in antiperspirant. It inhibits sweating and keeps skin dry. Antiperspirant is usually labeled "antiperspirant deodorant" and will also inhibit odor.

Deodorant (not labeled as antiperspirant) does not contain aluminum. It stops odor, but does not affect sweating.

princessleah

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:27 am
I developed a sensitivity recently, as an adult.

Dove sensitive works for me. I accidentally recently bought Dove regular and broke out immediately in itchy red rash

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:05 am
I had this issue. It started with just some brands in my teens. Then a few years into marriage, I couldn't handle regular deodorant at all and only used Toms of Maine. I started having issues with that too a few years back. I started making my own with coconut oil, baking soda and corn starch. (It's more of a cream consistency). It's simple to make and I'm no longer uncomfortable.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
I had this issue. It started with just some brands in my teens. Then a few years into marriage, I couldn't handle regular deodorant at all and only used Toms of Maine. I started having issues with that too a few years back. I started making my own with coconut oil, baking soda and corn starch. (It's more of a cream consistency). It's simple to make and I'm no longer uncomfortable.

That sounds interesting. Does it help you to not sweat? Does it REALLY prevent smell?

Can your provide a recipe?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:29 pm
I also can't use deodorant with aluminum. I use Piperwai. You can order it from their website (look for coupon codes) or get it in store at GNC(coupon!) It comes in stick or cream form. I prefer the cream because the stick has a stronger fragrance, although its smell is perfectly ok and good for both genders. It does need reapplying in the middle of hot days, I find and it is expensive, but it works.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children