Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I am shocked (designs on kippot)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 11:10 am
Shalhevet, for someone who comes from a more liberal background, you seem pretty naive.

Anyway, these kippot don't bother me. I wouldn't put one on my child's head, but they don't seem to be such a big deal. Disney princesses are not [filthy], which is how some of you seem to be viewing this.

I have a 3 year old nephew who is a Dora fan. Maybe I'll get him one of these. Wink Tongue Out

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 1:56 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
BUT you do see craziness on yarmulkas.

yes, Many of them are grown men in CH.....something that truly boggles my mind.

gigi

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 2:01 pm
and I say to this too..
myob.
does it matter how they express themselves as long as it is within halachic boundaries?

a disney princess on a kippa is definitely not typical, but it's not a playboy princess...

and at least he is wearing a kippa!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 3:28 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Smile

Atali

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 5:50 am
Quote:
Do you always put "shul" in quotes?

I can understand that it's a foreign concept, but I am surprised that people are shocked. It's pretty well known that this is what happens in some of these groups, since they do egalitarian davening and all.

I'm not MM, but I would always put shul in quotes in such a situation, although I usually prefer to use the term congregation.

I know that Reform and Conservative congregations are quite common in the US (although not in the rest of the world, except maybe Canada), but given that the term shul is the yiddish version of the term "Beis Henesses", or in Aramaic "K'nishta" and has been used for centuries to refer to a "Mikdash Me'at" (a small bais hamikdash), I do not think that it is legitimate to use such a term to refer to a congregation that does not accept the divinity of the Torah, no matter how many of them they are.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 12:45 pm
MommyLuv wrote:
Shalhevet, for someone who comes from a more liberal background, you seem pretty naive.

Well, I guess it just depends where you come from. I've seen plenty of Jews without kippot at all, but I've NEVER seen a woman wearing a kippa. Call me naive if you like.
Reform/ Conservative is a very American thing. In England there are very few Reform/Cons communities - people are traditional and Jews tend to belong to an Orthodox shul even if they are not mitzva observant (or, unfortunately, not to belong at all). And in Israel, the Reform/Conservative movement is tiny and almost 100% American in origin. Because people here who are non-observant feel that living in Israel is enough (apart from the fact that even so-called secular Jews often celebrate YT etc to some extent). They don't feel any need to go to some meaningless service to show they're still Jewish.

Sorry some people here thought it was unbelievable, but the idea of women/girls wearing these kippot never crossed my mind. I would never have thought that Reform/Conservative Jews would wear a kippa at all, whether men or women.

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 12:57 pm
shalhevet wrote:
MommyLuv wrote:

Well, I guess it just depends where you come from. I've seen plenty of Jews without kippot at all, but I've NEVER seen a woman wearing a kippa. Call me naive if you like.
Reform/ Conservative is a very American thing. In England there are very few Reform/Cons communities - people are traditional and Jews tend to belong to an Orthodox shul even if they are not mitzva observant (or, unfortunately, not to belong at all). And in Israel, the Reform/Conservative movement is tiny and almost 100% American in origin. Because people here who are non-observant feel that living in Israel is enough (apart from the fact that even so-called secular Jews often celebrate YT etc to some extent). They don't feel any need to go to some meaningless service to show they're still Jewish.

Sorry some people here thought it was unbelievable, but the idea of women/girls wearing these kippot never crossed my mind. I would never have thought that Reform/Conservative Jews would wear a kippa at all, whether men or women.

I think there is quite a large Reform movement in england, and also something called liberal, which is perhaps more extreme than reform, though not having personal experience, I wouldn't know. The conservative movement in england is very small, know as Masorti. The type of Jew who would go to a conservative shul in the US would go to an orthodox shul in the UK. (perhaps parking their car around the corner)

I've also never seen a woman wearing a kippa, except in photos, and have never seen Judaica shops selling women's kippa's either.

And I'm sorry, for the life of me I can't imagine a man or boy wearing a disney kippa, or dora the explorer.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 1:00 pm
Um... when my eldest, now 22+ was a wee lad there were teenage mutant ninja turtle kippot being sold.... what's the big deal here?

Now THIS is insanity....
http://www.doggonegood.com/ind.....at=34

MommyLuv

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:10 pm
LOL Tamiri...Now Fido can join in the rituals. Cheers

mimivan

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:15 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Oh, you don't mean "yechi" do you?? (Wonder how long its going to take to get this thread closed by using the "magic word.") LOL

MommyLuv

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:18 pm
I've seen some "Bush is real' kippot during the last elections. Rolling Eyes

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:18 pm
The magic word is Yechi? Not Moshiach ?

mimivan

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:19 pm
If just saying the world "moshiach" can get a thread locked, that's REALLY sad...

Fox

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:46 pm
Let me throw in another thought: I think some of the more extreme kipot are designed and marketed more as novelty items or as advertising shtick.

My husband does business with a large number of Reform, Conservative, and independent congregations across the country, and while he has met a handful of women in yarmulkes, it's definitely *not* common -- even among their clergy and professional leaders.

I do see the occasional sports team kipah on someone's head, but the licensed character yarmulkes seem like the kind of thing grandparents might purchase on a whim, give to the kid, and it would sit in his/her room until it's thrown out.

These yarmulkes seem kind of like the novelty ties that are available. People give them as gifts -- often gag gifts -- and they never see the light of day. Or people see them, laugh, and go on to purchase something more appropriate. Which is a definitely a relief for all concerned!

Toot

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:21 pm
A kippah is a symbol of Jewish identity, as by wearing one in public one makes the statement that he or she identifies with the Jewish community (or even a certain sect of the Jewish community, as velvet or crochet kippot might indicate).

There is no mitzvah to wear a kippah, they are not inherently holy, nor do they have the halakhic status of a tashmish mitzvah or a tashmish kedusha.

It's not like people are putting Disney princesses on their Torah covers or parochet in shul - so what's the big deal?

bashinda

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 11:32 pm
I thought it was more common for ladies in conservative congregations to wear the doilies?

In real life I better not let DD see this. DH is acting early and got tzitzis for our 16 month old boys and now 4 year old DD is walking around with one of them. If she saw a Dora oops excuse me her Hebrew name is Dina kippah we'd be sunk!
(oh dear)

Clarissa

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 11:35 pm
bashinda wrote:
I thought it was more common for ladies in conservative congregations to wear the doilies?

The doilies are more for older women, or people that usually don't go to shul except for special occasions. Conservative women usually either have uncovered hair, wear hats, or there is the occasional kippa.

Toot

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 11:43 pm
http://www.judaicaworldwide.co.....d=204

Many Conservative women also wear these types of things, from the same website.

Shuls have doilies for people who don't bring their own covering. Or like Clarissa said, women like my husband's grandmother, who davens in an Orthodox shul, has one of those full-head lace doilies.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 11:49 pm
MorahS wrote:
http://www.judaicaworldwide.com/judaica.asp?qlevel=2&cat_id=6&sub_id=204

I've honestly never seen any of those, except for maybe a couple of the "fancy crocheted" ones, that are like girly kippot. Otherwise, this is the first for me seeing any of the rest.

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 11:57 pm
Clarissa wrote:
MorahS wrote:
http://www.judaicaworldwide.com/judaica.asp?qlevel=2&cat_id=6&sub_id=204

I've honestly never seen any of those, except for maybe a couple of the "fancy crocheted" ones, that are like girly kippot. Otherwise, this is the first for me seeing any of the rest.

They seem to have become popular lately with the Conservative crowd.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics