Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Dd wax upper lip
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 10:10 pm
My 12 yr old dd has a very noticeable moustache which understandably really bothers her. She’s asked me to take her to a salon to have it waxed. What should I do for her? Will having it waxed make it grow back worse? Can I take her to any place? Thanx

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 10:11 pm
Sure. She wants to, why not? Waxing will not make it worse.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 10:11 pm
I did Electrolysis and am very happy with it. .

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 10:13 pm
Of course you should.

She's understandably self conscious and unhappy with it.

Waxing won't make it worse (it pulls out the hair by the root, and will even, over time weaken the root), but it will have to be done regularly (monthly or bimonthly most probably).

amother
Black

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:18 pm
Waxing strengthens the hair and is temporary. If she decides to do electrolysis afterwards, it will take longer as the roots will be stronger. I think electrolysis is the best route to go for hair on the face.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Mar 30 2019, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
Waxing strengthens the hair and is temporary. If she decides to do electrolysis afterwards, it will take longer as the roots will be stronger. I think electrolysis is the best route to go for hair on the face.

I think you're confusing something. Waxing can weaken hair (though it doesn't always), but it definitely can't strengthen it.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 12:56 am
I also vote for electrolysis. It's a permanent solution.

nchr

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 1:33 am
I prefer waxing.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 2:26 am
I did laser in other areas, and the technician told me not to do laser on my face.

Aylat

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 5:35 am
Waxing at home is cheaper and quicker. Upper lip waxing is easy to do. You can buy wax strips in any pharmacy.

singleagain

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:43 am
You can also buy an electric shaver for her so she can do it as she sees it.
Something like this:

Panasonic Facial Hair Trimmer for Women ES2113PC, with Pivoting Head and Eyebrow Trimmer Attachments, Dry Use, Battery-Operated https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....Z7VR6

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 8:55 am
singleagain wrote:
You can also buy an electric shaver for her so she can do it as she sees it.
Something like this:

Panasonic Facial Hair Trimmer for Women ES2113PC, with Pivoting Head and Eyebrow Trimmer Attachments, Dry Use, Battery-Operated https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....Z7VR6

This isnt a great idea for the upper lip hair, which tends to be darker and thicker (not like peach fuzz hair on cheeks, for example).

While shaving with this wont actually make your hair thicker (nothing done on the surface can change the makeup of your hair follicles), it WILL make the hair appear even darker and thicker as it regrows. The reason for this os because it shaves off the naturally tapered edges of the hair, and the new growth is blunt and bold so it appears dark ans thick. With a few months of use, you may develop a stubble or 5 oclock shadow look, and will probably have to use this multiple times a week.

singleagain

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:17 am
amother wrote:
This isnt a great idea for the upper lip hair, which tends to be darker and thicker (not like peach fuzz hair on cheeks, for example).

While shaving with this wont actually make your hair thicker (nothing done on the surface can change the makeup of your hair follicles), it WILL make the hair appear even darker and thicker as it regrows. The reason for this os because it shaves off the naturally tapered edges of the hair, and the new growth is blunt and bold so it appears dark ans thick. With a few months of use, you may develop a stubble or 5 oclock shadow look, and will probably have to use this multiple times a week.

That might be very dependant on your personal genetics, bc I use something like that on my upper hair and have nothing like you're describing.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:33 am
Waxing stimulates the hair follicles and is temporary.
If she is up to trying a more permanent solution, get a prescription from her pediatrician for a numbing cream and make an appointment for her to try electrolysis. While electrolysis also stimulates the hair follicles temporarily, it's a more permanent solution.
Shaving and lasor are not good solutions for the face.
If she can't handle the electrolysis, let her do the waxings until she decides she's ready for a more permanent solution.
Good luck!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:40 am
Electrolysis is painful.
I can’t imagine a 12 year old enduring the pain.
I didn’t find that numbing cream gave me pain relief. I would stick with waxing for the next few years.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 9:47 am
Get her an epilator. It hurts at first but by now it’s barely a sting and so convenient to do at home.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 10:33 am
My 12 yr old dd uses a face cream which works for now

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 11:34 am
Bleaching the hair is easiest at that age.

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 3:17 pm
You can try bleaching. My dd has done that for a while. Now she is doing waxing. I bought wax beads on amazon so I can just microwave a little at a time in a plastic bowl. And it doesn’t need strips to rip it off. Way cheaper

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Mar 31 2019, 3:17 pm
You can also buy a laser machine on amazon. The I-light Remington one. It’s exoensive but not painful and works
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children