Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Humid heat + chassidish... HELP!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:06 am
Any tips on not suffering in this humid heat, particularly for chassidish women dressed in a sheitel, thick tights etc. Tips on anything, including shoes! I've gotten so fed up already and the summer hasn't even really started. I'm even contemplating returning to pre-tieds because I'm suffering so much from being so uncomfortably hot and needing to run after little ones outside Sad

Last edited by amother on Tue, May 12 2020, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:14 am
Stay away from all synthetic materials as much as humanly possible.

Cotton button down shirts and blouses.

Cotton or linen skirts.

Get your hair wet before you put your sheitel on.

Do you have to wear seamed tights? If you just need opaque, try to find women's tights that are cotton/lycra blend. They are hard to find here, but you can get them online. Try Sockdreams.com They have really high quality stock, and I've never been disappointed with anything. As a matter of fact, I won't buy socks or stockings anywhere else.

https://www.sockdreams.com/sig......html Cotton/Lycra full tights, opaque and designed to be cool in the summer.

Leather shoes breathe and absorb sweat.

Run your errands as soon as the stores open, early in the morning before it gets too hot outside. Don't forget to drink way more water than you think you should, and try to stand in the shade while watching the kids.

I like longer skirts with cotton socks, and these are the best I've ever found. https://www.sockdreams.com/dia......html They last forever, and don't shrink in the dryer.

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Thu, May 02 2019, 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

mo5

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:15 am
Wear long thin-fabric skirts and cotton knee socks. Much cooler than tights.
(You’ve mentioned Chabad before, that should be perfectly accepted in Chabad)

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:36 am
mo5 wrote:
Wear long thin-fabric skirts and cotton knee socks. Much cooler than tights.
(You’ve mentioned Chabad before, that should be perfectly accepted in Chabad)

I wish! I try to keep by a book with tznius guidelines according to chabad and it only allows thigh highs or full tights and no maxi skirts. I wear them at home, though. The first thing that happens when I step in the door is to peel off eeeeeeverything, blegh, I hate this climate!!

Many thanks FranticFrummie! You're totally right about avoiding synthetics. For some reason, all the shops with tznius clothing love polyester, it's so hard to avoid!

Last edited by amother on Tue, May 12 2020, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:40 am
Israeli_C wrote:
I wish! I try to keep by a book with tznius guidelines according to chabad and it only allows thigh highs or full tights and no maxi skirts. I wear them at home, though. The first thing that happens when I step in the door is to peel off eeeeeeverything, blegh, I hate this climate!!

Many thanks FranticFrummie! You're totally right about avoiding synthetics. For some reason, all the shops with tznius clothing love polyester, it's so hard to avoid!

There are no universal tznius guidelines for chabad. Why not speak to your own mashpia instead of following a book?

Aylat

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:45 am
Wet hair, suck ice cubes, keep to shade as much as possible. If you can, stay inside between 11-4pm, that is really the hottest part of the day (though gan pick up is right in the middle there). The parks really fill up by 5pm - take a picnic supper for the kids.

I find sandals so much more comfortable than shoes in the summer - I wear shoresh sandals with cotton socks, but I think even with stockings sandals would let your feet breathe more.

This might not be your thing, but when we first made aliya (to Bet Shemesh in a heatwave) I used to do visualisations to help me - melting in the street that was like a baking oven and I would imagine freezing cold surroundings from documentaries of the Antarctic winter. It helped a bit...

Aylat

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:47 am
Also light colours vs dark or black really makes a difference. I like to wear a white/light-coloured shell and then a loose-fitting sleeveless or short-sleeve top, also light coloured.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:48 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Get your hair wet before you put your sheitel on.

Run your errands as soon as the stores open, early in the morning before it gets too hot outside. Don't forget to drink way more water than you think you should, and try to stand in the shade while watching the kids.

What hair.. At least a shaved head is cooler in the summer

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:52 am
Chassidish women shave...
Unless she is the type that does not. That type dresses like anyone else.
Or, Chabad. but they dont wear thicker tights

*Clothing material makes a big difference. Before purchasing clothing, I analyze the fabric if it will be comfortable to wear, not itch, wash well....etc. Cotton, modal, viscose, linen, bamboo, are very light breathable fabrics. However cotton with Lycra will make clothing much stickier.
*Also looser style clothing that wont stick on the body versus tight fitted ones.
*Less layering.
*Leather shoes, of course. or cotton canvas. no manmade materials.
*cotton underwear, no nylon slips...
*cool deodorant spray...
*eat ices LOL...you cool off your body internally

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:54 am
Op is chabad.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:54 am
Why do you think chassidish women are affected more by the heat??? When its humid and hot, all frum women are hot and uncomfortable, chassidish or not. You think non chassidish women wear tank tops and shorts???
Wear thin clothing and breathable shoes. Wear long cotton skirts with socks underneath. 3/4 sleeved tee's without a collar.
When its really hot out, there isn't much to do to beat the heat.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:56 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
There are no universal tznius guidelines for chabad. Why not speak to your own mashpia instead of following a book?

Our Rav said to go by this book (שמירת המצוות לאישה ולבת)

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 13 2020, 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Why do you think chassidish women are affected more by the heat??? When its humid and hot, all frum women are hot and uncomfortable, chassidish or not. You think non chassidish women wear tank tops and shorts???
Wear thin clothing and breathable shoes.

True, everyone's hot but chassidish women wear thick tights, usually don't wear big brimmed floppy hats, chabad wear only sheitels etc. Back in the day when I was DL, I felt a lot more comfortable (no stockings, open toe sandals, long light skirts, etc)

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 8:58 am
Why do you have to wear a shaitel while running after the kids?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:00 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Why do you have to wear a shaitel while running after the kids?

Chabad. It's probably the thing which drives me most crazy. I'm already dying to put on my pre-tieds instead, it feels so impractical and uncomfortable to wear a sheitel every day outside.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:00 am
We wear thick tights but not that thick for it to make a difference. We don't wear cotton bulletproof tights. Many even wear sheer stockings. When its so hot out, the tightd really doesn't make it or break it.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:01 am
Why is it a chabad thing to wear a wig when sitting out with your kids? I live in front of a chabad development & the women there wear all types of recoverings when sitting out.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:12 am
You once said you followed your dh's decision to become chabad.
Are you happy with that decision?
And did you have a say in choosing this rav?
And did you ever tell the rav that this book is hard for you to follow?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:13 am
Chassidishe here,
No wigs outside past 80 degrees
Thin light colored loose dresses. Do not wear shells. Rather get a dickie collar if needed.
I find that making a really small (1 inch of water) pool, or just pots of water easier than running after kids. They stay put and cool. You can get your toes wet too.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 02 2019, 9:17 am
Wearing maxi skirt is an issue?
I'm Chassidish but not from a community that shaves or wears thick tights so I don't know the rules, but I was in the Catskills with women from Williamsburg and they all wore maxi skirts.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics