Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you organize your recipes?
1  2  Next

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:19 am
My recipes are literally 2 1/2 feet high. Plus I am always tweeking them.

Occasionally, I get ambitious and write them in binders to give to my kids when they get married. My mom never wrote down her recipes and they were lost to us.

Is there a free app for organizing recipes on a smart phone? I would love something similar to MFP and WW but private

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:26 am
Mainly Pinterest. Most recipes can be found online and then pinned. I search my Pinterest boards for menu/recipe ideas

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 11:38 am
I use a binder, but keep everything typed up, so the recipes can be reprinted at any time. If your recipes are online, it's easy to copy and paste so there's not that much typing involved.

I keep everything on one editable Word document and have it all printed out and hole punched in a pretty binder. I edit and reprint specific pages as needed. I need my recipes at home physically in case I'm looking through things on shabbos or YT or other non electronical times.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Feb 09 2022, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I keep everything on one editable Word document and have it all printed out and hole punched in a pretty binder. I edit and reprint specific pages as needed. I need my recipes at home physically in case I'm looking through things on shabbos or YT or other non electronical times.

I did that once. Then my computer got a virus while I was in the middle of typing everything up (before I got to the printing stage) and my hard drive had to be wiped clean, and all recipes were lost. Now I have all my recipes written and kept in a loose leaf.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:06 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I did that once. Then my computer got a virus while I was in the middle of typing everything up (before I got to the printing stage) and my hard drive had to be wiped clean, and all recipes were lost. Now I have all my recipes written and kept in a loose leaf.

Mine all printed out and in a looseleaf with binders too. And I have the computer file backed up on a cloud platform.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, May 08 2019, 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:09 pm
My recipes I keep in loose leaf with labeled dividers for categories. All pages go into a sheet protector.
Have separate binder for low carb recipes that I printed out, from a diet group I was on where people shared their recipes.
Also any recipe that I tear out from magazine that I want to try go into folder. The divider has a pocket, till I try. If good, goes into book, if not throw out.
Yes I also still have a huge box of ones I didn't try yet as well. Just the recipe sections of magazines that were torn out but not yet sorted or tried.
Sometimes we get fed up & throw such a whole pile away.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:11 pm
Btw shabbos you are not allowed to look at recipes to avoid start measuring

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:11 pm
I use Paprika app. The only downside is you have to open your filter to 17+. There may be a way around that though.

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:12 pm
dankbar wrote:

Rally? I read cookbooks on shabbks all the time. It doesn’t make me start cooking, why would it make me start measuring?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:20 pm
I just bought multiple binders and page protectors. I have lots of recipes I rip out of magazines so I insert those in the protectors immediately and I type up my others , print them and keep them in binders. I have a hard time using my phone or tablet while cooking or baking and prefer having it on paper in front of me. The page protectors can be wiped clean even if something splatters on it.
Each binder is a different category: Meat/Chicken, Fish, Dairy (includes dairy desserts as well) , Soups, Side Dishes and Salads, Cakes and Desserts. Thats 6 separate binders.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:28 pm
Wow! You have so many recipes that each category fills up a whole binder?

When you are trying to put together a salad on shabbos that says 5/8 of a cup of oil, wouldn't you grab your measuring cup & fill till that line with oil?

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 12:35 pm
Some measuring for food is permitted in shabbos. Ask your LOR.

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:12 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Rally? I read cookbooks on shabbks all the time. It doesn’t make me start cooking, why would it make me start measuring?

It's why you can swim on Shabbos because you may want to build a raft.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:17 pm
dankbar wrote:

This is not usniversal Halacha. I was told it’s not a problem.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:18 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Not every single time, but there is an idea that reading a recipe while making it will lead you to measure.

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:18 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I use Paprika app. The only downside is you have to open your filter to 17+. There may be a way around that though.

Thanks. I don't use a filter (because I am opposed to censorship).

Would you kindly explain how this works. I never bought an app. Is is priced once? Is it a license for a period of time? Do you have to pay for updates?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:24 pm
Iymnok wrote:

https://I.imgur.com/igYhqqs.

(Sorry, don’t know how to post the actual picture.) Which one?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:25 pm
dankbar wrote:

Ask a shaila. I was told if I read it like a book for pleasure (it is my pleasure!!) then I can.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:25 pm
dankbar wrote:

When you are trying to put together a salad on shabbos that says 5/8 of a cup of oil, wouldn't you grab your measuring cup & fill till that line with oil?

No, I would eyeball it, as I usually do

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 1:26 pm
dankbar wrote:

My binder is 4" thick, maybe 600 pages, like 25 categories. TMI

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, May 08 2019, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen