Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Saw something disgusting in supermarket
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

esuss

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:07 pm
It is one thing to taste one or two grapes to see if it's good with every intention of purchasing the bag if you like it. It's completely different and wrong to eat a few because you are hungry. It is sold by weight so you can't even ask for it to be added to your bill at the end.
There is another major problem of any person using their hands to help themselves to any food. Whether it's grapes, olives, nuts, pastries etc. A long time ago I saw a toddler out a candy into his mouth from a display and then put it back on the display. I told his father who happened to not see and he shrugged it off. I don't buy things from open displays since then. Especially now that measles is going around. I don't need to eat food that someone may have coughed or sneezed on.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:09 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Oh god that's absolutely disgusting! Eeeww! Bh many stores in monsey stopped selling loose items.
Superwifey, the women is a Chinese women, what's wrong with stating a fact? Same way she said that frum guys ate nuts n candies.

Some people think it’s wonderful to always be politically correct and convince the world they don’t have a prejudiced bone in their bodies. Duh. Sad

nchr

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:10 pm
This is so common that it is built into companies' financial estimates. I'm not sure if it is considered halachic stealing or not because of that. Regardless, I don't do it, but it is one reason I try to buy sealed items. I do think frum stores should have more sampling stations.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:10 pm
rdmom wrote:
I was in bingo once and saw the bowl with the olives had just pits in it. Along with the olive mix of tomatoes and lemon pieces. Which to me meant that someone had tasted the olives and just put the pits back in. And that was the last time I bought from the open goods

Uch! I will definitely adjust my tHe way I shop! Now I’m going to reconsider buying them in other stores too...

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:12 pm
giselle wrote:
I once dropped a challa on the floor at the supermarket so I brought it up to the bakery counter to let them know. I wonder if others do the same or just put it back. (Hopefully the employee didn’t put it back on the shelf!)

You wouldn’t believe what the employees do! I was once eating breakfast in a very expensive hotel restaurant and we saw the waiter drop someone’s French fries off their plate of eggs as he was carrying them in, so he picked it up and put it back on the plate! Also he took a few with his hands and ate them!!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:14 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
If you are going to buy a package of (closed ) cookies and its in your cart and your Kid wants one, yes, you can open the package and give them one. Not talking from halachic perspective because I have no idea but the stores are OK with that. And it's not stealing

How could you say the stores are ok with that? You can’t possibly know that. I was,told that halachically it’s not allowed because until you pay for it it does not belong to you, it belongs to the store. Also not allowed to spray a bit of perfume or deodorant into the air to see what the smell is like before paying.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:16 pm
Another anti bingo post..

This isn’t about bingo at all though.. it’s about anyplace w open food by the lb like this.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:19 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I've seen this type of thing play out more than once and I therefore do not buy any food that is open and needs to be selected besides for baked goods which usually have gloves and papers for each customer to use.
It is very possible that due to that woman's ethinicity this may be common practice in her country of origin.
Years ago the Polish cleaning women in Boro Park always ate from the fruits that were displayed outside of the fruit stores. I saw this many times.
My DH is not American and he said that in the country he is from it was common practice to taste the fruit before you purchased it. So you would rip off and eat a few grapes from a bunch of grapes and decide if you liked it or not.
I'm assuming the same would go for nuts and candy etc.

On the other hand my American grandmother always tasted everything before she bought it to make sure it was fresh. So at the appetizer counter she requested samples on a spoon or fork for her to taste. At the deli she did the same and the bakery too. The owners were glad to be of service and she always ended up buying a ton of stuff . She was just very meticulous in buying the freshest food.

Asking for a sample and being given it is very different than sampling stuff and not buying, it’s thievery according to halacha. How could someone justify tasting it and then not buying any?

yksraya

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:20 pm
I know many people give their kid chips etc while shopping and pay it later. But I find it's better to teach the kid "we will eat it after we pay for it". Kid can hold it while shopping. If kid is absolutely in a bad mood and needs distraction, I would go pay for just the chips, and give it to the kid. I try to avoid that by making sure kid is not hungry before the grocery trip.

sneakermom

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:23 pm
Teaches all not to buy from these open platter.

I’m not a picky person and am pretty disgusted.

trixx

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You wouldn’t believe what the employees do! I was once eating breakfast in a very expensive hotel restaurant and we saw the waiter drop someone’s French fries off their plate of eggs as he was carrying them in, so he picked it up and put it back on the plate! Also he took a few with his hands and ate them!!!!

There's an amazing Roald Dahl story about a customer who complains his meat isn't juicy so the waiters pass it around and spit on it and the man's feedback is the new steak is amazing. Lolll it was in the book where the little boy turns into a rat and is hiding in the kitchen - Witches I think.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:44 pm
Speaking of the Ewww! factor. In a very popular supermarket in Monsey my DH witnessed the baker bring out a fresh tray of doughnuts from the bakery to the display. The guy accidentally dropped the box onto the floor and all the doughnuts fell and rolled all over. The baker picked them up and put them in the display as if nothing happened.

marina

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 8:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Some people think it’s wonderful to always be politically correct and convince the world they don’t have a prejudiced bone in their bodies. Duh. Sad

Do you really not see the difference btw how you described the Asian person and the frum people?

UQT

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 8:41 pm
I was once at a buffet at a hotel. The kid in front of me loaded up the salad on his plate and then proceeded to pitch all the tomatoes back into the bowl. I didn't eat that meal.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 8:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thats cool.

So was the point of the story to tell us that Chinese people are gross?

SuperWify

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 9:07 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Oh god that's absolutely disgusting! Eeeww! Bh many stores in monsey stopped selling loose items.
Superwifey, the women is a Chinese women, what's wrong with stating a fact? Same way she said that frum guys ate nuts n candies.

No need to call the guy a frum guy either. Just say there was a man or woman. That’s all.

SuperWify

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 9:10 pm
On a positive note about bingo- we were raking down the isle and I was trying to shield my son from the c-a-n-d-y but of course he’s too smart for that. He ran ahead and stuck his fat fingers into the candy and popped it into his mouth before I could say boo.
mortified, I went to ask the guy if I could pay and he laughed, took my son by his hand and let him pick another candy!

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 9:14 pm
I cannot buy any baked goods left out in the open.

Was once in a store and a man was picking out a challah. A few fell over and he caught them against his beard and clothing. And then put them back on the shelf.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 9:39 pm
Omg amother ginger, eeewww that is totally disgusting!! Why are the baked goods at stores displayed out in the open?? I can not understand it.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 9:44 pm
Actually my dh owned a grocery & it is totally allowed to taste a grape or cherry - it is not stealing at all.
Many many stores encourage customers to taste so they see how yummy it is and then buy.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics