Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
I overate and I feel disgusting

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:58 pm
Help. I ate latkes and donuts to my hearts content tonight. And I had a bagel for breakfast and now I feel absolutely sick. Last night wasn’t any better. We had freshly fried Shnitzel sandwiches for supper and pizza for lunch oh and more donuts. I haven’t been controlling myself at all. I’m too emotionally and physically tired to exert any control. Also I’m exclusively nursing and starving all the time. I should make better choices but I don’t. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. What adult woman eats like this.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:22 pm
I did similar...and my son's bar is around the corner!!! I cannot control myself around donuts and latkes...even during regular days I crave good fatty stuff.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:24 pm
I had a huge pile of latkes and a bunch of donuts. I'd happily eat a bagel or a shnitzel sandwich or pizza if we had any!

The difference is that when I eat that way I feel full and satisfied, I don't feel gross.

I deliberately allow myself to enjoy the special foods of the Yomim Tovim without depriving myself. So I'll eat lots of ice cream and cheesecake on Shavuos, and lots of donuts and latkes on Chanukah, and tons of nosh and hamentashen on Purim. That makes me feel happy.

I feel gross when I do things like nosh on a bag of chips until I realize that I have eaten most of the bag and I am not hungry anymore but I'm not full and satisfied in a good way. But I consider bagels and pizza and shnitzels real food, not something that is bad to eat or get full on. Sure they aren't the healthiest choices in the world, but I think they're reasonable choices.

I'm sorry for you that you can't feel pleasure from enjoying Chanukah food, and that you have standards on food that mean that unless you are in a constant state of deprivation, you judge yourself harshly. Your eating doesn't mean anything about you as a person! You're valuable and precious and wonderful just the way you are, and the food you eat can never change that.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:30 pm
I think it’s crazy the amount of junk food being found in Jewish homes during holidays. Health doesn’t just fly out the window because it’s chanuka.

I’m not lecturing you op, I’m talking about the life sin general. It frightens me.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:34 pm
amother Fern wrote:
I think it’s crazy the amount of junk food being found in Jewish homes during holidays. Health doesn’t just fly out the window because it’s chanuka.

I’m not lecturing you op, I’m talking about the life sin general. It frightens me.

OTOH, if you in general eat a fairly healthy diet, a few days worth of fried foods is not going to destroy you.

I have no problem with special Yom Tov food or Shabbos party treats. It's a problem when every day is an excuse for a treat, when regular meals are unhealthy, when there's no fresh fruit or vegetables, when so much of our food is highly processed and full of chemicals and artificial coloring (pickles anyone?). The problem isn't so much Chanukah as the fact that there is almost NO time we actually have a healthy diet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics