Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Major pet peeve
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

iyar

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:04 pm
I know what you mean. I get that fingernails on a chalkboard feeling a lot.
On the other hand, my phone always changes were to we're but stubbornly refuses to let me say I'll, insisting instead that I'm ill.
I'm happy there are people in my life who put up with my imperfections. (I have a few very small insignificant ones. Very Happy ) In return I try not to cringe when someone tells me about the gorgeous sequence dress she bought for he nephew's chassuna, when someone's smartphone gets the better of them and when a brave French, Hebrew or Mandarin speaker tries to join an imamother discussion.

yksraya

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:11 pm
It happens when speed typing. I used to be so careful once upon a time when I used to type from laptop. Now that I'm so used to quick text from my cellphone touch screen, I make mistakes all the time.

soap suds

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:32 pm
singleagain wrote:
Case in point. ... I was trying to say before.. I swyped.. don't even know how that word guy into my phone

Very Happy

soap suds

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:34 pm
aricelli wrote:
Hey hey hey y’all! I cannot spell! Ok! I am brave enough to man up to it so be nice! It does not mean I am not educated or intelligent only that I have a bit of a disability in this area. I thought there was more awareness and compassion towards people with disabilities today- why is this different. I feel that if someone is aware then its ok. I know to use use dictionaries and spell check but yeah- I may still make mistakes- cut me slack

Agree. Some members in my family, who happen to be very intelligent in every other area (think law student) have a total blockage when it comes to spelling. Never judge a person's intelligence or even level of education by their spelling.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:38 pm
When people type with a NY accent... Draw instead of drawer. Nifta instead of niftar. Soda instead of pop Wink

momsrus

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:39 pm
Bothers me when people say usually always.

Either usually or always. Can’t be both

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:47 pm
The use of the word draw for drawer I have only learned on imamother. The reason this is surprising is that some ignorant types might even accuse me of a "Joisy" (jersey) accent, although surely they are mistaken.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:59 pm
Hey, full disclosure here... I was terrible in my grammar and writing class. Talk biology or geography and I was your dream student Smile
I would take classmates as tutors to help me pass grammar exams. I had a lovely grammar teacher in 7th grade who really gave me her time, but I was a total lost case. B’H my grammar/writing blockage has gotten better. I think I’m ready for a crash course...

So, please don’t make fun of me! I’m trying my very best.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When people mix up there/their/they're or women/woman or then/than and there are others. Anyone else with me?
The two woman ate there lunch. Can't Believe It

how about when you "loose" weight because you're "apart" of a program and you don't "take it personal".

Wink

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
It sounds like people using a local dialect that mixes in Yiddish with English. It sounds ignorant not to know that.

I know where it comes from. It sounds ignorant. Try writing it to someone who doesn't know that by means at in this special Yinglish, you don't sound professional, nor educated.

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:43 pm
momsrus wrote:
Bothers me when people say usually always.

Either usually or always. Can’t be both

How about most probably or 110%?

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:00 pm
I have two daughters who are only a year apart.

One excels in the language arts, spells correctly intuitively, has a very advanced vocabulary, is a gifted writer...
But she really, really struggles with math, and needs intense tutoring just to keep up.

The other DD has a wildly creative, mathematical mind. She reads algebra and geometry books to pass the time at home. Her spelling though... Can't Believe It

I find it fascinating to juxtapose the two. Who's to say which one is brighter?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:07 pm
Squishy wrote:
I know where it comes from. It sounds ignorant. Try writing it to someone who doesn't know that by means at in this special Yinglish, you don't sound professional, nor educated.

Now that I think of it:

"By" is actually an English word that can mean "near". I was standing by the water cooler waiting for the Gossip Queen to show-up.

Having lunch by my mother-in-law - is Yinglish.

I didn't know we were bashing professional correspondence.

egam

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:50 pm
You know what my biggest pet peeve is?
When holier then thou grammar queens are posting messages as the original post.
Do you realize that for many on this board English is not the first language (yours truly)?
Some members might have a learning disability or dyslexia. Do you really need to rub it in our faces with a frequency of at least once a month?
If you want to educate us ignorant folks, please find a better way to do it. Polite and respectful. Otherwise you’re only causing resentment.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:53 pm
I once saw a quote that was something like, Remember that anyone who speaks English with an accent is fluent in another language.

Go easy on people for whom English isn't a first language, it doesn't make them less intelligent

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:54 pm
egam wrote:
You know what my biggest pet peeve is?
When holier then thou grammar queens are posting messages as the original post.
Do you realize that for many on this board English is not the first language (yours truly)?
Some members might have a learning disability or dyslexia. Do you really need to rub it in our faces with a frequency of at least once a month?
If you want to educate us ignorant folks, please find a better way to do it. Polite and respectful. Otherwise you’re only causing resentment.

I agree, you don't know why someone made that mistake and it's so rude to make a whole thing about it and call them out. And even if the person is just not educated is that a good reason to embarrass them in public?

egam

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:56 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
I have two daughters who are only a year apart.

One excels in the language arts, spells correctly intuitively, has a very advanced vocabulary, is a gifted writer...
But she really, really struggles with math, and needs intense tutoring just to keep up.

The other DD has a wildly creative, mathematical mind. She reads algebra and geometry books to pass the time at home. Her spelling though... Can't Believe It

I find it fascinating to juxtapose the two. Who's to say which one is brighter?

Yes. Same here. I have an extremely dyslexic DC. There’s no way this child will ever master intricacies of there vs their vs they’re. But math and engineering are this DC’s forte. As well as sensitivity. This one is the most caring and sensitive person in our family. And this is what matters.

Last edited by egam on Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:06 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Now that I think of it:

"By" is actually an English word that can mean "near". I was standing by the water cooler waiting for the Gossip Queen to show-up.

Having lunch by my mother-in-law - is Yinglish.

I didn't know we were bashing professional correspondence.

Professionals don't sound professional if they say they ate by their mother-in-law's house unless they ate by the fire hydrant in front of the house.

Misusing words professionally can have unintended consequences besides making people sound ignorant. It is tough enough to defend our educational system. We should at least be using first grade words correctly.

I worked for a Jewish organization that would receive many complaints because the correspondence was full of errors. People didn't want to support such a professional organization. It reached the point that everything had to be run by me. I had no power to make that decision, nor did I suggest it.

That's an indictment of our educational system.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:34 pm
Squishy wrote:
Totally with you. Can you please add in using by when they mean near? It sounds so ignorant.

"By" does mean "near" or "next to" or "beside." It doesn't mean "at." I can eat lunch by the seashore, but not by the Goldbergs.

There's nothing terrible about using a yiddishism on a site like this one, but in broader society it marks you as uneducated. Kind of like axing a question.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:42 pm
Yinglish and Ebonics are both legitimate dialects that should be respected.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette