Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Major pet peeve
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Simple1

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:56 pm
aricelli wrote:
Hey hey hey y’all! I cannot spell! Ok! I am brave enough to man up to it so be nice! It does not mean I am not educated or intelligent only that I have a bit of a disability in this area. I thought there was more awareness and compassion towards people with disabilities today- why is this different. I feel that if someone is aware then its ok. I know to use use dictionaries and spell check but yeah- I may still make mistakes- cut me slack

I agree! I have one grown dd who is a terrible speller no matter how many times we said anything. She's otherwise very streetsmart.

That's aside from the other reasons for typos like using a phone or being in a rush. I really don't understand why it bothers people so much.

DallasIma

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:31 pm
I'm a professional proofreader, so I make my living correcting other people's mistakes! Their grammatical errors are my meat and potatoes! LOL

crust

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:37 pm
Squishy wrote:
I never took it as someone is not smart. It is that they are not educated.

Then you should see my pediatrician spell. It hurts.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:42 pm
watergirl wrote:
When people type with a NY accent... Draw instead of drawer. Nifta instead of niftar. Soda instead of pop Wink

Nifta may be my biggest pet peeve.

egam

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:44 pm
crust wrote:

You can read your pediatrician’s writing? I’m impressed! Mine writes in something that looks like waveform.

OBnursemom

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:48 pm
crust wrote:

I work with a lot of foreign medical graduates. Their ability to spell/conjugate verbs/speak grammatically has nothing to do with their intelligence.

crust

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:49 pm
egam wrote:
You can read your pediatrician’s writing? I’m impressed! Mine writes in something that looks like waveform.

Lol!
He types with one finger and he told me more than once that he does not care.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:51 pm
crust wrote:

Yup. There’s a doctor I email fairly often, her grammar is way worse than mine... To her defense though- she replies immediately & it’s very informal so that’s probably why...
makes me feel better though Smile always second guessing myself when corresponding with professionals...

Last edited by Sunny Days on Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

crust

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:51 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
I work with a lot of foreign medical graduates. Their ability to spell/conjugate verbs/speak grammatically has nothing to do with their intelligence.

He's not foreign and I'm almost outing myself.
My point is that as much as I can't take grammar/spelling mistakes I came across many proffessionals that make those mistakes carelessly.

A proffessional email with a small I Banging head

egam

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:54 pm
crust wrote:
He's not foreign and I'm almost outing myself.
My point is that as much as I can't take grammar/spelling mistakes I came across many proffessionals that make those mistakes carelessly.

A proffessional email with a small I Banging head

Nah. According to some posters here he’s just not educated. 🤦‍♀️

Librarian

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:56 pm
I can't stand it when someone says "I" when it should be "me". For example, "she looks just like my sister and I" Also, twendy, thirdy, fordy....

Librarian

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:57 pm
Oh and when someone calls the first course the "entree"!

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:58 pm
To add to what I wrote above, I asked a friend of mine - a medical professional working in a hospital- how bad it is writing a run on sentence in an email to a dr. She laughed and said they probably won’t notice.
But I agree, intelligence should not be measured by writing skills.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When people mix up there/their/they're or women/woman or then/than and there are others. Anyone else with me?
The two woman ate there lunch. Can't Believe It

Yes, I totally agree.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:06 pm
giselle wrote:
It used to bother me a lot more. I come from a family where grammar is extremely important. I was raised with the attitude that people who can’t spell or speak with proper grammar aren’t smart. However I’ve since met many very smart people who simply don’t know how to spell. It’s like some kind of block. I can’t say I don’t notice it, but it doesn’t irk me the way it used to.

Actually people learn to spell mostly by reading (that’s what I learned through research), as seeing the words over and over teaches one how they should be spelled, so I guess when people can’t spell it’s because they don’t read much.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:08 pm
dankbar wrote:
I happen to know my grammar. If I don't reread the post before submitting there sometimes are typos in grammar & spelling that gets wrongly autocorrected

But the word “than” will never be auto corrected to “then” and the same with such words (their, they're, etc.) so mostly it’s obvious when it’s an auto-correct mistake, or the writer’s mistake.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:09 pm
Squishy wrote:

Wait for it, Squish. I predict you’re about to be taken to task for saying that... LOL

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:10 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Yesterday I saw an English ad for the Likud party. it said: "make israel great again". Can't Believe It Sure. israel.

That’s not a spelling mistake. Obviously someone who did the printing neglected to capitalize.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:12 pm
Squishy wrote:

My school would take offense at that... we had an excellent English language arts curriculum (very chasidisha school btw) most of it bounced off my brain though.
Read my post on page 2.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:14 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
The use of the word draw for drawer I have only learned on imamother. The reason this is surprising is that some ignorant types might even accuse me of a "Joisy" (jersey) accent, although surely they are mistaken.

I think the most common mistake nowadays is using “I” instead of “me” when it’s not appropriate. So it’s correct to say, “Susan and I are going out.” But it’s not correct to say “She gave a gift to Susan and I.” I’ve heard professionals, news reporters, etc. repeatedly make that mistake.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette