Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Major pet peeve
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:17 pm
crust wrote:
He's not foreign and I'm almost outing myself.
My point is that as much as I can't take grammar/spelling mistakes I came across many proffessionals that make those mistakes carelessly.

A proffessional email with a small I Banging head

Did u misspell professional on purpose?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:19 pm
egam wrote:
Nah. According to some posters here he’s just not educated. 🤦‍♀️

I never ever heard anyone except for blacks and Spanish people use ax instead of ask

crust

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:22 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Did u misspell professional on purpose?

Did you misspell u on purpose?

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:25 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I think the most common mistake nowadays is using “I” instead of “me” when it’s not appropriate. So it’s correct to say, “Susan and I are going out.” But it’s not correct to say “She gave a gift to Susan and I.” I’ve heard professionals, news reporters, etc. repeatedly make that mistake.

It is correct however to say “she is taller than I”. (As it really is “she is taller than I am”.)

egam

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:30 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Actually people learn to spell mostly by reading (that’s what I learned through research), as seeing the words over and over teaches one how they should be spelled, so I guess when people can’t spell it’s because they don’t read much.

People can learn a lot by reading. For example that some people have dyslexia and they see words quite differently from you. And not necessarily same way every time they read the word.
If only reading more could help them Sad

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:32 pm
giselle wrote:
It is correct however to say “she is taller than I”. (As it really is “she is taller than I am”.)

That’s correct, I wasn’t referring to that type of example. I’m talking about people using “I” instead of “me” in every single instance, ie. “Listen to your father AND I when we speak.”

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:34 pm
crust wrote:
Did you misspell u on purpose?

Yeah. Did u?

Haha I just saw someone started a thread looking for a Shavuot desert.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:46 pm
One of my all-time favorite books:
Eats shoots and leaves
It's light hearted and fun, and will teach you grammar and mechanics in the most painless way possible.

But honestly, all this language skills snobbery is making me very self conscious!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 7:11 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Makes perfect sense. It was one waitress telling another at a restaurant, “The woman who regularly comes here at 2pm ate her lunch over there, at that table.”

LOL

Thanks for the laugh

aricelli

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 7:14 pm
egam wrote:
People can learn a lot by reading. For example that some people have dyslexia and they see words quite differently from you. And not necessarily same way every time they read the word.
If only reading more could help them Sad

Ha! I read and read but cannot spell

crust

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 7:21 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:

But honestly, all this language skills snobbery is making me very self conscious!

Meh!
Blame autocorrect!
Really.

I sent an email last week from my phone. When I reread it from my desktop it was full of autocorrects by my devoted phone. 🙈

Something like us turned into USA or forward turned into For Warts etc.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:30 pm
Wow Smile there's a hugger here.
Here's one for you, dear hugger, because I love you too Hug

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:50 pm
aricelli wrote:
Ha! I read and read but cannot spell

I read so much I can't pronounce anything properly when I speak LOL

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When people mix up there/their/they're or women/woman or then/than and there are others. Anyone else with me?
The two woman ate there lunch. Can't Believe It

My major pet peeve is that if I respond in a contrary manner to any posts on here these days, I’m told that the post must have “triggered” me in some way. Rolling Eyes Sometimes we just disagree with OP or other posters, it’s not a reason to start trauma therapy!

Re: OP. I don’t like poor grammar either but I’ll take that over suggestions that I am being “triggered” any day. And it is “Tiggered” Winnie the Pooh style. Have you been Tiggered today? Bounce!

P.S. No, Tigger doesn’t need ADHD meds.

aricelli

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:15 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I read so much I can't pronounce anything properly when I speak LOL

Ha! I’m thinking we all have our pet peeves- Since I cant spell that isnt mine, but I love hearing people who are articulate and get “triggered” (joke) when hearing people misuse or mispronounce words!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:33 pm
I type from my phone and it’s usually done with one hand. So therefore there may be some spelling and grammar mistakes. I read them later sometimes when browsing through the posts and wonder how I made those mistakes. So sorry if I gave you the chills or made you lose your appetite in the past. It will happen again.

I feel to good too care.
Weather it’s their or there
I Don’t have two much fair
But Ill stop right hear

Ok. That was a tease. ☠️

egam

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:46 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Wow Smile there's a hugger here.
Here's one for you, dear hugger, because I love you too Hug

I got some hugs too! Yay! Some people really pity me that English is not my first language (it’s third by the way). Hug

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:17 am
egam wrote:
I got some hugs too! Yay! Some people really pity me that English is not my first language (it’s third by the way). Hug

Wow! good for you! you seem to have great command of the language!
Kol hakoved to you!

moonstone

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:44 am
watergirl wrote:
When people type with a NY accent... Draw instead of drawer. Nifta instead of niftar. Soda instead of pop Wink

I've noticed that a lot of people here write "draw" instead of "drawer". At first I thought maybe it was a weird autocorrect thing, but after a while I realized it was a weird Brooklyn English thing. Do people really think the word is "draw"?

"Soda" is used in many places in the US, it's not a NY thing.

And the Brooklyn/Yiddish/English mistakes that are like nails on a chalkboard to me are "stay by me" and "besides for /beside for /aside for". It makes people sound uneducated and stupid.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:56 am
If enough people in a place use that word, that is the correct word in the local dialect.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette