Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Major pet peeve
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:21 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
If enough people in a place use that word, that is the correct word in the local dialect.

Speaking in local dialect is fine within the group but marks you as uneducated outside of it. So do what you like as long as you know that "by" doesn't mean "at" and you can't be "in the mood of" and you don't say "rather" for "prefer" and other yiddishisms when speaking to someone outside your group.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:23 am
Speaking in your local dialect when talking to outsiders is like throwing random bits of Spanish or French into your English. It doesn't show a lack of education, but it shows a lack of consideration for those who don't speak your language.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:26 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
If enough people in a place use that word, that is the correct word in the local dialect.

It seems a lot of people on here are not linguists and are unfamiliar with the concept of nonstandard English. Some also believe that American English is the only way, and therefore don't understand why someone would call the first course an entrèe. (It's derived from French and in all English speaking countries other than the US and parts of Canada, it's used to describe the food served before the main course.)

It's okay. Everyone is ignorant in one area or another. No one knows everything.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:11 am
Simple1 wrote:

That's aside from the other reasons for typos like using a phone or being in a rush. I really don't understand why it bothers people so much.

You know why it bothers? You will not like this:
If you don't have proper command of your mother tongue then please tell me in *which language* are you then able to speak correctly?
Knowing your mother tongue matters.
English not my mother tongue.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:16 am
crust wrote:
He's not foreign and I'm almost outing myself.
My point is that as much as I can't take grammar/spelling mistakes I came across many proffessionals that make those mistakes carelessly.

A proffessional email with a small I Banging head

Whaaat??

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:21 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
That’s not a spelling mistake. Obviously someone who did the printing neglected to capitalize.

It's a HUGE mistake. Likud doesn't have money for proof reading? Embarrassing!

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:40 am
I grew up in Europe in the 80's and it was highly embarrassing and a disgrace not to know your mother tongue properly.
Someone mentioned a Jewish organization and donations and spelling mistakes. I would be reluctant to donate. If you don't even care of how you are perceived and you are sending me a letter full of spelling mistakes then why should I care about your causes? Go back to school, learn your language and then contact me for donations.
Auto-correct: can't you cancel it?

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:58 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Now that I think of it:

"By" is actually an English word that can mean "near". I was standing by the water cooler waiting for the Gossip Queen to show-up.

Having lunch by my mother-in-law - is Yinglish.

I didn't know we were bashing professional correspondence.

Right over your head

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:05 am
soap suds wrote:
Agree. Some members in my family, who happen to be very intelligent in every other area (think law student) have a total blockage when it comes to spelling. Never judge a person's intelligence or even level of education by their spelling.

That law school student better learn to fix his/ her spelling mistakes or she will be laughed at as a lawyer. That is one profession judges on the ability to write. Grammar better be perfect also as misplaced commas can cost millions.

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:15 am
crust wrote:
Then you should see my pediatrician spell. It hurts.

Doctors often aren't educated in writing. I have several doctors in my family, and their focus was often on medical school early on with their education geared towards that goal. When you have the right initials after your name, it states you are educated.

I also have engineers in my family. While they had minimal classes outside their rigorous curriculum, they are so precise that they make up for the lack of education in that area. They had even less outside classes than doctors.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:41 am
moonstone wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of people here write "draw" instead of "drawer". At first I thought maybe it was a weird autocorrect thing, but after a while I realized it was a weird Brooklyn English thing. Do people really think the word is "draw"?

"Soda" is used in many places in the US, it's not a NY thing.

And the Brooklyn/Yiddish/English mistakes that are like nails on a chalkboard to me are "stay by me" and "besides for /beside for /aside for". It makes people sound uneducated and stupid.

Re: soda/pop - I know its geographical - see the wink at the end of my post? That part was a joke.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:49 am
Squishy wrote:
That law school student better learn to fix his/ her spelling mistakes or she will be laughed at as a lawyer. That is one profession judges on the ability to write. Grammar better be perfect also as misplaced commas can cost millions.

Agree with all above.
The previous mentioned "If you don't have proper command of your mother tongue then please tell me in *which language* are you then able to speak correctly?" was in fact the words from a retired Israeli judge in an interview for a newspaper.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:30 am
Squishy wrote:

Reminds me of a recent court case, in Maine, in which an Oxford comma was the point of the whole case

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0......html

crust

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:03 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Whaaat??

Lower case I

And pls and tx

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:07 am
singleagain wrote:
Reminds me of a recent court case, in Maine, in which an Oxford comma was the point of the whole case

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0......html

And this case:
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/1......html

Don't forget the "let's eat grandma" sentence.

crust

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:09 am
Squishy wrote:
Doctors often aren't educated in writing. I have several doctors in my family, and their focus was often on medical school early on with their education geared towards that goal. When you have the right initials after your name, it states you are educated.

I also have engineers in my family. While they had minimal classes outside their rigorous curriculum, they are so precise that they make up for the lack of education in that area. They had even less outside classes than doctors.

At 12-13 a child knows how to spell the basics.

'Focus on medical school' doesn't cause so much distraction at that age.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:11 am
OBnursemom wrote:
Nifta may be my biggest pet peeve.

Mine too! It makes me cringe

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:19 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Mine too! It makes me cringe

My hilchus shabbos teacher in school was full of ussa, mutta and would wonder why we were giggling

Cookie Monster

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:30 am
On the Lakewood school threads... “ If your child is a sibling,” I understand it means if you already have a sibling in the school, but it still comes across funny to me every time.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:34 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
My hilchus shabbos teacher in school was full of ussa, mutta and would wonder why we were giggling

I mean, if they SAY it with the accent, then fine! That's the way they talk because of local dialect. If the teacher transliterated the word that way, I would wonder about her teaching competency.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette