Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Sefira
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am in love with this name but my husband doesn’t know if it would quite be acceptable in frum society. I’ve heard it sounds weird to
Israelis (although we don’t live in Israel) and I wouldn’t want her to be taunted in school if it’s
too woowoo .. I love the sound of it and the association with the kabbalistic sefiros, with sapphire, and even think it be neat to have a special link with the counting of the omer (even though baby is not due at that time).
Any thoughts please share!!

Hmmmm... If I heard that name, I would think you are Breslov BTs, but that's as far as my thought process would go. It's unusual, and possibly unique, but that's not a bad thing. Smile

A Sapphire is "Sapir," btw. That is a known girl's name.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe it’s my BT ears but It just doesn’t sound like a made up name to me.
It sounds like a real name to me. It has a ring to it like a real name... I even know someone with that name and she loves her name!
Similar names are Sapir, Sapira, Serafina

Why is this name inviting ridicule??

Still no supporters?

If it makes sense to you, then I would run it by a sensible Israeli, but go with what your heart says. Your child's name is her name - you're just bringing it to light.

Fun story: my DS's name is Lavi. I was terrified that it would get him bullied, but after consulting my neighbor, I went with it. Then it turns out that not only was it already a name, but it was the fourth most popular name in his year!

salt

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:22 am
Sefira le'achor - in Hebrew it means countdown. Like count down till take off of a rocket!
That's what it reminds me of!

How about Sapir - many people have suggested it.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:33 am
etky wrote:
Or Omer. Can't get more Shavuot-ish than that. Smile

I've met a woman and a girl named Omer. They're both very nice, very direct people.

Yummymummy3

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:01 am
I have a friend called Safira. Really nice girl. Definitely not run of the mill name. Unfortunately kids can be cruel. If it was me then I would add on another name in case she doesn't like her name and wants to switch

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:09 am
trixx wrote:
Uh both these names are biblical.

Thanks, dearie, I know. That was my point. There's a long history of taking random words and turning them into names.

zebra111

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:58 am
I actually went to school with a sefira. Didnt think of it as being at all weird at the time. Or now really

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:56 am
I know someone named Sefirah. Unique name and definitely mostly unheard of but I don’t think it’s crazier than some other things people name their kids.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:58 am
I would never use a name like that. It's not fair to the child no matter how beautiful it sounds to you.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:06 am
trixx wrote:
Uh both these names are biblical.

And come from a time when people had true ruach hakodesh in creating names.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:41 am
Maybe Sapir instead?

Shuly

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:21 pm
Sounds like Sephora - the makeup store.

Years ago, I met a girl whose Hebrew name was Tziporah and she was called Sephora.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:25 pm
Its a Greek name. OP does your community use "secular" names, or Jewish names only. Would Sefira be in a class with Zoeys and Charlottes?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:40 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Its a Greek name. OP does your community use "secular" names, or Jewish names only. Would Sefira be in a class with Zoeys and Charlottes?

My community uses mostly Jewish names.

Ok looks like I have to scrap Sefira!
Oh well.
It still sounds beautiful to me!
Back to the drawing board. Not feeling a pull to any name at the moment. I have a few more months to go... Thanks, everyone!

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oh well.
Back to the drawing board. Not feeling a pull to any name at the moment. I have a few more months to go... Thanks, everyone!

Lucky for you there are lots of Jewish names that end with the "Ah" sound. Even a few with "rah". Like Adira.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oh well.

OP- others have suggested the name Sapir but if you like the “ah” ending how about Zafira? It’s the Ladino version of Sapir. It sounds a lot like Sefirah but it’s a bona fide Jewish name.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 3:19 pm
I would only give an "exotic" sounding name as a middle name, and that includes Zafira. It's a beautiful name, but with two names, the child gets a choice.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 3:50 pm
Not a real name... thank goodness you realized before your child is born!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:04 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Not a real name... thank goodness you realized before your child is born!

Ok it’s definitely a real name! I know someone with that name and I’m sure she would not appreciate the tone of some of these comments. It may be unusual and uncommon and have a funny connotation for some, but some of these comments are borderline mean if you happen to be named Sefira.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:44 pm
I have heard the name. There was a girl in my school with that name. No one made fun of her! You get used to a name.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names