Home

Calm me down plz exposure to measels
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:03 pm
I was just exposed to measels at my pediatricians office. I have 2 questions:
1. Can I hand over the exposure to my 2 kids who aren't fully vaccinated yet? (Yes I immediately made appt for Tom and Fri to give the 2nd mmr)
2. My immunity numbers are 63.1. Despite the fact that I'm immuned, can the exposure go over to my unborn?
My pediatrician claims I have nothing to worry abt both but I'm still freaking out.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:08 pm
I think your pediatrician is right. Nothing to be concerned about .
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was just exposed to measels at my pediatricians office. I have 2 questions:
1. Can I hand over the exposure to my 2 kids who aren't fully vaccinated yet? (Yes I immediately made appt for Tom and Fri to give the 2nd mmr)
2. My immunity numbers are 63.1. Despite the fact that I'm immuned, can the exposure go over to my unborn?
My pediatrician claims I have nothing to worry abt both but I'm still freaking out.

1. There's no such thing as handing over exposure. If you become sick with measles, with the first symptom typically being a fever at 8-10 days post exposure, AT THAT POINT, you are contagious and can infect anyone around you.
2. If you are immune, you cannot get sick. Which means that you don't have to worry about #1.

This should sufficiently calm you down, and spread awareness instead of fear and hype. If you have any other questions, as you can tell, I'm familiar with measles.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:23 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
1. There's no such thing as handing over exposure. If you become sick with measles, with the first symptom typically being a fever at 8-10 days post exposure, AT THAT POINT, you are contagious and can infect anyone around you.
2. If you are immune, you cannot get sick. Which means that you don't have to worry about #1.

This should sufficiently calm you down, and spread awareness instead of fear and hype. If you have any other questions, as you can tell, I'm familiar with measles.


You may be familiar with measles, but you're wrong about when its contagious. Measles can be spread 4 DAYS BEFORE A RASH APPEARS. (The rash usually appears 2 to 3 days after a fever and other symptoms, making it contagious before any symptoms.)

That said, OP cannot spread measles unless she actually has the disease. Given her immunity, she should be fine.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:24 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
1. There's no such thing as handing over exposure. If you become sick with measles, with the first symptom typically being a fever at 8-10 days post exposure, AT THAT POINT, you are contagious and can infect anyone around you.
2. If you are immune, you cannot get sick. Which means that you don't have to worry about #1.

This should sufficiently calm you down, and spread awareness instead of fear and hype. If you have any other questions, as you can tell, I'm familiar with measles.

Why am I asking abt #1, cuz I had a discussion on y"t with a sil whos an anti Vader (never knew till yt) and she claims despite the fact that I'm immuned, once I'm exposed I can hand it over to anybody not vaxed or fully vaccinated. Why? Cuz yes I'm not getting measels cuz I'm immuned but that doesn't mean the virus isn't in my body.
Is 63.1 considered strong enough immunity not to get the measels?
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:27 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
You may be familiar with measles, but you're wrong about when its contagious. Measles can be spread 4 DAYS BEFORE A RASH APPEARS. (The rash usually appears 2 to 3 days after a fever and other symptoms, making it contagious before any symptoms.)

That said, OP cannot spread measles unless she actually has the disease. Given her immunity, she should be fine.

The patient at my pediatricians office in question had fever and rash. Doh has to confirm tomorrow. (They took some kind of sample).
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:28 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
You may be familiar with measles, but you're wrong about when its contagious. Measles can be spread 4 DAYS BEFORE A RASH APPEARS. (The rash usually appears 2 to 3 days after a fever and other symptoms, making it contagious before any symptoms.)

That said, OP cannot spread measles unless she actually has the disease. Given her immunity, she should be fine.

I will stay calm while misinformation is being posted and liked. Here goes:

4 DAYS BEFORE THE APPEARANCE OF A RASH there are visible symptoms such as fever, achy limbs, etc. Btw, the official wording is UP TO 4 days prior because it's not the same amount of days by everyone.

One cannot be contagious before one is sick in some way. Incubating measles is not contagious. Only being sick from measles is contagious. The difference between the two is physical symptoms of sickness which many people might miss, but if someone knows they were exposed, they can be on the lookout.
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:30 pm
Correct me if I’m wrong, but once someone has been exposed, even if they don’t know it, the MMR won’t help. I’m not talking about in OPs case, I’m speaking about in general.
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why am I asking abt #1, cuz I had a discussion on y"t with a sil whos an anti Vader (never knew till yt) and she claims despite the fact that I'm immuned, once I'm exposed I can hand it over to anybody not vaxed or fully vaccinated. Why? Cuz yes I'm not getting measels cuz I'm immuned but that doesn't mean the virus isn't in my body.
Is 63.1 considered strong enough immunity not to get the measels?

This is absolute nonsense.

Theoretically if you want to talk about absolute possibility, if a sick person coughs on you and their cough goes onto your clothes and then within the next 2 hours, one of those cough droplets goes onto an un-immune person, that person is now exposed. The likelihood of that is pretty low.
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why am I asking abt #1, cuz I had a discussion on y"t with a sil whos an anti Vader (never knew till yt) and she claims despite the fact that I'm immuned, once I'm exposed I can hand it over to anybody not vaxed or fully vaccinated. Why? Cuz yes I'm not getting measels cuz I'm immuned but that doesn't mean the virus isn't in my body.
Is 63.1 considered strong enough immunity not to get the measels?


No. Vaccinated individuals who are immune cannot be "healthy carriers." You need to actually come down with the virus in order to spread it to others. Since you are immune you should be fine. It would be a good idea to vaccinate your children, however, since it could have easily been them at the office and it sounds like you want to provide them with protection.
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:32 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but once someone has been exposed, even if they don’t know it, the MMR won’t help. I’m not talking about in OPs case, I’m speaking about in general.

My doctor claims that the MMR can help but it's way less effective. The body does start producing antibodies to the measles right after the MMR, but the question is how effective those will be in fighting off disease because full antibodies aren't considered present until 2 weeks after the shot. Officially, the MMR is still beneficial up to 72 hours after exposure.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:33 pm
nchr wrote:
No. Vaccinated individuals who are immune cannot be "healthy carriers." You need to actually come down with the virus in order to spread it to others. Since you are immune you should be fine. It would be a good idea to vaccinate your children, however, since it could have easily been them at the office and it sounds like you want to provide them with protection.

I wrote in my original post that I have 2 appts separately for my 2 kids who didn't get the 2nd mmr. I did it while walking home. I'm in a panic since I'm pregnant.
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why am I asking abt #1, cuz I had a discussion on y"t with a sil whos an anti Vader (never knew till yt) and she claims despite the fact that I'm immuned, once I'm exposed I can hand it over to anybody not vaxed or fully vaccinated. Why? Cuz yes I'm not getting measels cuz I'm immuned but that doesn't mean the virus isn't in my body.
Is 63.1 considered strong enough immunity not to get the measels?


Your sister in law is completely wrong.
Back to top

delicious




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:35 pm
nchr wrote:
No. Vaccinated individuals who are immune cannot be "healthy carriers." You need to actually come down with the virus in order to spread it to others. Since you are immune you should be fine. It would be a good idea to vaccinate your children, however, since it could have easily been them at the office and it sounds like you want to provide them with protection.


It's a good idea to vaccinate them even if you didn't go to the doctors office.

On yom tov in shul my husband watched to brothers having a fight. One was upset at the younger brother-at how selfish he is, because he is an anti-vaxxer, and needed to have his kids in school, so he went to a HEIMISHE doctor in BP, who is forging records for tons of children, and now his kids are back in school, not immunized, not immune.

He claims he had a meeting with the school and THEY TOLD HIM TO DO THIS!!! (dunno if I believe that)

So be careful cuz you have no idea who you are standing near.

FTR, my friend saw an anti-vaxxer in Deli 52. ANti-vaxxers eat commercial food? such a contradiction


Last edited by delicious on Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wrote in my original post that I have 2 appts separately for my 2 kids who didn't get the 2nd mmr. I did it while walking home. I'm in a panic since I'm pregnant.

Calm down. You are safe. As are your kids. You can give them the booster anyway but you don't have to worry about this exposure.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:36 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I will stay calm while misinformation is being posted and liked. Here goes:

4 DAYS BEFORE THE APPEARANCE OF A RASH there are visible symptoms such as fever, achy limbs, etc. Btw, the official wording is UP TO 4 days prior because it's not the same amount of days by everyone.

One cannot be contagious before one is sick in some way. Incubating measles is not contagious. Only being sick from measles is contagious. The difference between the two is physical symptoms of sickness which many people might miss, but if someone knows they were exposed, they can be on the lookout.


Provide a source.

According to the CDC and the NY Department of Health, the rash may appear between as little as 2 days after the fever, but the patient is contagious 4 days before the rash appears.
Back to top

amother




Brunette


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Provide a source.

According to the CDC and the NY Department of Health, the rash may appear between as little as 2 days after the fever, but the patient is contagious 4 days before the rash appears.

This is from the CDC:
Quote:
Infected people can spread measles to others from four days before through four days after the rash appears.
https://www.cdc.gov/measles/ab.....ssion.html
This is not an absolute number of days. They "can" spread it, doesn't mean they will, "from four days" is not "four days".
Read here for a typical measles trajectory:https://www.cdc.gov/measles/ab.....ptoms.html
A fever is not the first symptom. It's the first symptom people may take notice of, but as I said, it's often just a cough or a strepy feel of achy limbs, fatigue, pimples in mouth.


This is from the DOH:
Quote:
The first sign of measles is usually fever, along with the "Three C's" (cough, coryza, or conjunctivitis) and sometimes Koplik spots.

Three to five days after symptoms begin, a rash may break out.

http://www.health.ri.gov/disea.....us/?parm=8
Back to top

amother




Peach


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:12 pm
Pediatric nurse here.

1. If you are immune, the chance of you transmitting measles to anyone is almost not possible. Please don't be concerned about the numbers. Immune is immune.

2. If someone was exposed, giving the MMR (to someone who doesn't have both MMRs or is not immune) within 3 days of exposure highly decreases the chance of coming down with measles.

3. A person is only contagious 4 days before the rash appears and 4 days after it appears.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:30 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Pediatric nurse here.

1. If you are immune, the chance of you transmitting measles to anyone is almost not possible. Please don't be concerned about the numbers. Immune is immune.

2. If someone was exposed, giving the MMR (to someone who doesn't have both MMRs or is not immune) within 3 days of exposure highly decreases the chance of coming down with measles.

3. A person is only contagious 4 days before the rash appears and 4 days after it appears.

Tnx so much! I really appreciate your response. It's the most reassuring since it's coming from someone with real experience.
My 2 kids weren't with me thank God. I almost took my toddler along and decided to leave him home. I thank hashem extra for giving me the thought to leave him behind.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:34 pm
delicious wrote:
he is an anti-vaxxer, and needed to have his kids in school, so he went to a HEIMISHE doctor in BP, who is forging records for tons of children, and now his kids are back in school, not immunized, not immune.

He claims he had a meeting with the school and THEY TOLD HIM TO DO THIS!!! (dunno if I believe that)


Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

This is atrocious. I am literally sitting here with my jaw in my lap. These people need to be reported to the CDC, and that so called "doctor" needs to have his license revoked! Mad
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 5 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Moral dilemma. Advise plz
by amother
29 Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:39 pm View last post
How to keep kids calm??!
by amother
5 Sun, Apr 28 2019, 5:18 am View last post
Operation Calm - please help me out
by amother
25 Tue, Jan 15 2019, 12:02 pm View last post
Please help me calm down
by amother
12 Sun, Jan 13 2019, 9:16 pm View last post
Anyone use Natural Vitality Natural Calm? For what?
by amother
3 Fri, Jan 11 2019, 8:32 am View last post

Jump to: