Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If possible, would you want to know the day of your death?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:54 am
Aish.com question of the day.

So, would you?

I don't think I would.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:55 am
creepy question

crust

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:31 am
Yes

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:31 am
Yes

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:49 am
Definitely not. I would imagine it would creat lots of sadness. People can always hope that they will grow very old. It would be very unsettling living a life knowing that god forbid life will be short. Not to mention shidduchim. People would be reluctant to mary people who die much earlier then them.

Stars

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:50 am
no it would drive me crazy

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:03 am
Not a chance. Living with a death sentence isn't easy.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:04 am
Not unless I was terminally ill.

top mom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:07 am
No please Hiding

gingertop

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:15 am
No. Not at all.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:16 am
Hmmm
I think that yes. I am not as afraid of death, as I am of not doing something significant with my life, so knowing would help.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:20 am
Yes, I think maybe then I would get my act together and do something meaningful for those whom I leave behind. Just told my husband on shabbos that I'm tired of living. He didn't get me, I don't expect imamoms to get me either.

giselle

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:34 am
Only so that I could prepare my children and make sure they will be well cared for.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:35 am
No. It would alter my whole decision making and in a way, who I am. For an exame, I'm a cautious person. If I knew that I "have" another x many years, I might start taking risks because I know that even if I drive now with 200 km/h or climb that mountain trail, I'd know I survive it. And why eat healthy if I live to age x anyway automatically? If x was a very short amount of time, on the other hand, I'd probably go depressive and think that everything is useless anyway. Why weed the garden, paint the kitchen or put in effort at work if I'm gone anyway in x amount of time?

happyone

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:40 am
yes.

Metukah

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:42 am
No. Tyvm. Too morbid for me.

sneakermom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:58 am
A big part of life is imagining the future. For example when you give birth you imagine being there for that child as time goes by. First step....eventually marrying them off, and holding the grandchildren.

If a person knows they will die young it cuts them off from the future. They feel doomed or terribly sad not to have those dreams.

Therefore it’s best not to know. Its best to imagine that you will live long and have it all.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:03 pm
No. I live each day knowing that’s all I have for now. But an exact date would be too much.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:04 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
No. It would alter my whole decision making and in a way, who I am. For an exame, I'm a cautious person. If I knew that I "have" another x many years, I might start taking risks because I know that even if I drive now with 200 km/h or climb that mountain trail, I'd know I survive it. And why eat healthy if I live to age x anyway automatically? If x was a very short amount of time, on the other hand, I'd probably go depressive and think that everything is useless anyway. Why weed the garden, paint the kitchen or put in effort at work if I'm gone anyway in x amount of time?

an interesting twist. What if you knew that every time you ate unhealthy food, it cut a few hours off your life span, and exercising added to your lifespan?
would you appreciate a constantly updating clock?

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:38 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
an interesting twist. What if you knew that every time you ate unhealthy food, it cut a few hours off your life span, and exercising added to your lifespan?
would you appreciate a constantly updating clock?

Hmmm, I guess I work on that assumption anyway, just without the exact date...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics